> Project Scarlett: 94 GT4 WRC
post Sep 5, 2019 - 10:34 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I hadn't imagined boost pushing into the drain either, since oil pressure is always way higher than boost (usually). I suggested capping the turbo inlet and outlet and pressure testing the turbo, listening at the oil pan and oil filler for the tell tale bong hit sound of pressure bleeding into the crank case through the drain. A couple pipe caps, couple big worm clamps, and a tire stem should build an easy boost leak/turbo pressure tester. I usually use a smoke tester at work but that only pushes about 1 psi and wouldn't do any good for this situation. I was still suspicious of some kind of wrong hose routing letting boost into the crank case.

--------------------
post Sep 6, 2019 - 12:30 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Damn thats a good check. It would be interesting to take it even further and actually start the car. That wsy you can try to overcome the cartridge oil pressure with ~12 psi pumped into the capped compressor housing. If the dipstick pops you have your culprit

--------------------
post Sep 6, 2019 - 6:18 AM
+Quote Post
punkxrckprincess

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 31, '11
From Marengo, Illinois
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 5, 2019 - 10:34 PM) *
I hadn't imagined boost pushing into the drain either, since oil pressure is always way higher than boost (usually). I suggested capping the turbo inlet and outlet and pressure testing the turbo, listening at the oil pan and oil filler for the tell tale bong hit sound of pressure bleeding into the crank case through the drain. A couple pipe caps, couple big worm clamps, and a tire stem should build an easy boost leak/turbo pressure tester. I usually use a smoke tester at work but that only pushes about 1 psi and wouldn't do any good for this situation. I was still suspicious of some kind of wrong hose routing letting boost into the crank case.

From Jacob:
"I don't know how TF to do that so I would need help"
post Sep 6, 2019 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I thought I explained it fairly well. Just google how to build a boost leak tester and apply that to JUST the compressor side of the turbo.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-t...ter-5-02-a.html
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...ost-Leak-Tester
If those Evo and VW guys can do it, anyone can do it. Just put that on one side of the turbo cold side and cap the other side of the turbo, apply 15 psi to the turbo, listen for your engine taking a big bong rip in the oil pan or listen for hissing from the oil fill cap.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Sep 6, 2019 - 7:50 AM

--------------------
post Sep 6, 2019 - 10:46 AM
+Quote Post
punkxrckprincess

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 31, '11
From Marengo, Illinois
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 6, 2019 - 8:45 AM) *
I thought I explained it fairly well. Just google how to build a boost leak tester and apply that to JUST the compressor side of the turbo.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-t...ter-5-02-a.html
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...ost-Leak-Tester
If those Evo and VW guys can do it, anyone can do it. Just put that on one side of the turbo cold side and cap the other side of the turbo, apply 15 psi to the turbo, listen for your engine taking a big bong rip in the oil pan or listen for hissing from the oil fill cap.

I think he's just super worried (like me) about doing something wrong and potentially making things worse. The 'normal' stuff we do all the time on 'regular' cars is nothing, this seems daunting at least in my opinion because if I break something I will be insanely mad at myself.
post Sep 6, 2019 - 1:22 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I understand, but it's not that weird of a car. Just treat the different parts as separate systems. The blowy parts, the spinny parts, and the farty bits. Take it one section at a time and consult the internet frequently. Maybe stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

--------------------
post Sep 11, 2019 - 3:22 AM
+Quote Post
jim7564

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 31, '19
From scotland
Currently Offline

why dont you simply disconnect the vacumn hose to the AC which will stop the turbo from boosting and see how it runs
post Feb 22, 2020 - 8:30 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

This threads needs an update, with pictures.

--------------------
post Feb 24, 2020 - 9:20 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Feb 22, 2020 - 8:30 AM) *
This threads needs an update, with pictures.

Ditto.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Jun 1, 2022 - 4:04 PM
+Quote Post
punkxrckprincess

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 31, '11
From Marengo, Illinois
Currently Offline

Long time no update

We (mostly Jake, though I did help drop the old engine and with some minor assists here and there) completely overhauled the engine, and FINALLY got it to a competent tuner in April. We got it all dialed in after only one additional tweak and took Scarlett on a run to the Tail of the Dragon last weekend and she did not disappoint one bit.

The mount on the rear diff is at the end of it's life now, but we already knew it was going to need replacement soon.

Can't wait to go back again!
post Jun 1, 2022 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Pictures are 2 years over due. I can't even remember what the car looks like anymore!

--------------------

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:11 AM