+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Waiting for more fittings:

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Mar 31, 2014 - 8:47 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Nice.

--------------------
post Apr 2, 2014 - 1:29 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Fittings arrived and now leak testing/cleaning the loop:

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Apr 2, 2014 - 12:39 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Cool! tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 2, 2014 - 7:22 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Makes me want to get my Koolance case up and going again...but I lack anything worthy of such cooling.

--------------------
post Apr 3, 2014 - 1:55 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 2, 2014 - 7:22 PM) *
Makes me want to get my Koolance case up and going again...but I lack anything worthy of such cooling.

Do it smile.gif
Mines only a second generation i7 2600k, nothing too fancy

--------------------

post Apr 3, 2014 - 7:48 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

My main PC is an E8400, my spare is an i3. I lack anything that needs water cooling or would benefit from it. Both those run so cool on air that I can kill the heatsink fan on their tower coolers and they run fine. The i3 can run full load on it's tower cooler with just the case fans moving air.

--------------------
post Apr 3, 2014 - 1:22 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
From Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Currently Offline

I need to upgrade my PC. I built it quite a while ago.

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard
i5 750
4 GB of G.SKILL Ripjaw ram
Used to have a Radeon HD 5850 but my brother just gave me his old GTX 570
Antec 900 case

--------------------
2007 Impreza 2.5i - Daily
1994 Camry - Sold
1994 Celica - Sold :(

Click here to see my progress thread!
post Apr 3, 2014 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

I love liquid cooling. I'm sitting here at 26c on my CPU and 22c on my motherboard right now. Basically idling besides the site being up and typing right now.

i7 hex core running very chilly.

What did the whole loop run you? I was thinking about making a custom loop but I couldn't pass up a Corsair H100i (240mm closed loop) for $89 after all rebates when I purchased my build.

The GPU gets up to 70c+ when gaming I'd like to chill that puppy out a bit.
post Apr 3, 2014 - 5:38 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Well, I had a H100i but the LEDs died and Corsair Link never worked... So I took it back to work for a refund. Getting a 2TB HDD and a Corsair RM650.

The main components in the loop cost $640 including almost $50 in shipping. I then had to buy a pump top and two more fittings which cost a further $60. And I will have to also get a 180mm Phobya Fan and I was considering a proper fan controller as well...
So, my build isn't finished yet haha >.<

And, I am not sure if it is because the thermal compound needs to settle (The manufacturer says 200 hours), but my idle temps are:
34-5C on the CPU
38-39C on the GPU

Given, I am running a Radeon R9 290x GPU, which on the air cooler ran IDLE at 70-80C... (Peaked at 99-101C when gamine >.< )

This post has been edited by rentaspace: Apr 3, 2014 - 5:40 PM

--------------------

post Apr 21, 2014 - 1:16 AM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

Anybody play Titanfall on PC?

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post Apr 21, 2014 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
RoadRage

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '13
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

No, Xbone frown.gif

--------------------
post Apr 21, 2014 - 12:42 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

QUOTE (RoadRage @ Apr 21, 2014 - 8:14 AM) *
No, Xbone frown.gif

Damn you and your fancy new technology tongue.gif

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 9, 2014 - 7:34 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Got this today:

--------------------

post May 18, 2014 - 1:07 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-p...spx?pid=4164#ov $37.35 shipped
Case with 120W PSU, slim DVD, power cable, and 2 SATA cable for $44 shipped
4GB DDR3 for $36 shipped new from Newegg
Just need a hard drive for it and it'll be ready to setup dual boot or just Xubuntu for web use and sell to someone, I have a customer in mind already that I'd sell to at parts cost.
Not bad for about $120 to my door.

--------------------
post May 27, 2014 - 4:51 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Sounds pretty good,
One of my mates recently upgraded to 4th gen CPU/Mobo. He offered me his old board and CPU for $75.
The board is an Intel Board, and unfortunately he bent 3 pins removing the CPU. I'm not risking the CPU in it so I purchased a basic Gigabyte board second hand for $50.
The CPU on the other hand, is a PERFECT condition I7 3770. So it alone is worth more than $75AU.
I already had a spare 1TB HDD laying around when I updated to 2TB along with my old Widetech 750watt PSU and a Radeon HD5670.
I threw all these into my old NZXT Lexa S Mid tower, and bam an operational PC.

I've lent it to my GF atm since she plays sims3 a lot and it maxes that. Not sure if I am gonna sell it sometime or not.

--------------------

post May 31, 2014 - 9:56 PM
+Quote Post
Special_Edy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 29, '11
From Haltom City, Texas
Currently Offline

Anyone ever considered dunking the entire system into a fish tank full of mineral oil or vegetable oil? Ive seen some videos of people doing this, since both are nonconductive they wont short out the electronics and it will have 1000-2000 times the thermal capacity of air. You could use normal heat sinks with fans, the fans would aid in circulation but the only issue I can see is whether or not there is enough heat to warm the entire tank of oil. Then you would have to figure out a way to cool the oil in the tank, but it would probably be easy to build some sort of radiator system for the oil in the tank. Heck, you could even use a coolant system to cool the oil below room temperature, so long as the oil doesnt solidify.
Next time I upgrade my system, Im going to test this on my old computer. I want to see if the parts actually last long term immersed in oil or if it may break down some of the petroleum based products in the electronics.

Oh and 28 amps is only ~340watts at 12volts, or 140watts at 5volts which half of the computer operates at. That old computer probably only had like two or three hundred watts of juice total.

This post has been edited by Special_Edy: May 31, 2014 - 9:59 PM
post May 31, 2014 - 10:23 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

The mini itx is up and running just fine, the 60mm case fan and 40mm cpu fan are a little noisy so I ordered a quieter cpu heatsink and fan to see if I can fit them, if not then I'll just fit the fan. I'm going to work on the case fan to make something quieter, I may hack up an old C2D heatsink fan (cut the legs off) and glue it to the case to suck air in to aid in cooling across the board and the HDD at the other end. I'm using an OLDE OLDE slow SATA drive that's got Xubuntu 14.04 and 12.04 on it that I use to test all my systems. Memtest86+ for 48 hours and then a solid 24 hours of mprime at full load, if nothing catches fire then it's good to go!

The 120W PSU may be a little small, it's spitting out some heat running full load, I can get a 160W unit but screw it. I'd rather get a better case,board, etc. and do a little i3 setup or something. I've got a snipe on an old Dell board with a i3 and some ram, it should go cheap cheap. I'll throw it in my old mATX dell case and make a little htpc or guest computer or something. Nothing like a Dimension 2400 case with a 3.2Ghz i3 inside!

--------------------
post Jun 1, 2014 - 1:19 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Special_Edy @ May 31, 2014 - 9:56 PM) *
Anyone ever considered dunking the entire system into a fish tank full of mineral oil or vegetable oil? Ive seen some videos of people doing this, since both are nonconductive they wont short out the electronics and it will have 1000-2000 times the thermal capacity of air. You could use normal heat sinks with fans, the fans would aid in circulation but the only issue I can see is whether or not there is enough heat to warm the entire tank of oil. Then you would have to figure out a way to cool the oil in the tank, but it would probably be easy to build some sort of radiator system for the oil in the tank. Heck, you could even use a coolant system to cool the oil below room temperature, so long as the oil doesnt solidify.
Next time I upgrade my system, Im going to test this on my old computer. I want to see if the parts actually last long term immersed in oil or if it may break down some of the petroleum based products in the electronics.

I have seen quite a few, only very few that actually are using modern parts though. Mostly old P4s.
Hard Drives cannot be submersed because of extra resistance and also fans will burn out quicker due to the extra push the motor has to provide, you also have to have movement of the oil through the tank.
Some people have gone over the top and added a pump flowing through external radiators, but personally this is over the top since they may as well just made an Open loop liquid cooler...

I've always wanted to do it, but much effort for not much gain...
Without that heat dissipating out of the oil, it will just heat up the whole tank and eventually turn off... Also, the oil picks up minute particles off anything metal (circuit boards, radiators etc...) and this slowly makes the oil able to short out. It needs to be replaced every 6-12months.

Personally, they are really cool but pretty impractical haha, but hey, I'd do it if I had the space and time just because smile.gif

--------------------

post Jun 1, 2014 - 8:11 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I'd rather do a water loop with a massive passive radiator, that's much cooler.

If you add some ethylene glycol antifreeze to the cooling water it becomes more efficient by a noticable amount. I noted a 5-8c drop in all temps with the addition of a slight amount, about 4:1 water:eg. It was about 8 months after I installed the water block with arctic silver under it so it wasn't coincidental temp drop from the AS setting up or anything, cpu temp and coolant temp's both dropped, the eg added a little viscosity and made the water a little 'stickier' so it dropped heat better in the radiator I think. I used plain green, but you toyota freaks may want to use Toyota Red.

--------------------

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:30 AM