6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Convertible top motors, How to fix. with pictures!
post Aug 4, 2006 - 11:52 PM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

Ok so i've been meaning to post this for awhile now, but haven't had the chance till now. Well i've heard a lot of people having problems with thier convertible top opening and closing. And usually the motor is still good, except there is a part inside that is broken. What happened with mine was that one of the sides stopped working and my convertible top needed assistance opening and closing. But the motor was still good, cause it still made noise when i pressed the button. The problem was a pin inside. So if you are having this problem, and your motor still sounds good, then try this, and it may solve your problem...

First you'll need to remove your convertible top motor from which ever side isn't working properly. So first remove the bottom part of the seats, they just pop right out, they are held in by two clips in the front. Then you will need to remove the rear plastic panel on the side your trying to get to. Don't worry bout the seat belts, you can leave those attached, cause you just need to get the panel out of the way. After those are out of your way, You should be able to see the convertible top motors. They are held in by 4 10mm bolts, but you will also need to remove the rear speakers and cut a zip tie before you can unplug the wiring clip and remove the motor. After you remove the motor, you will need to take off 4 hex bolts connecting the motor to a black box that has gears in it. After you take that apart, it should look like this...

IPB Image

Now we can take a look at the problem. There is supposed to be a pin that keeps the gear moving when the motor moves. When this pin breaks, the motor will just keep spinning, but it has nothing left to turn the gear. This pin seems to break off since it happened to both of my motors. Im guessing its like a fail safe device or something, if there's too much stress put on the motor is just breaks the pin, so you dont burn out the motor? Thats my guess. Or maybe the pins just suck. Well anyways, it needed to be replaced. Here's a picture of the Motor with the broken pin removed...

IPB Image

Here's a picture of what was left of the pin...

IPB Image

Here's where your gunna need to improvise cuase i couldn't find a part number for the pin. I ended up cutting drill bits in half and using the solid end as the pin, whatever get's it done right? haha Im guessing you could use any pin as long as it fits in the hole pretty snug. I hope this helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by MaskedMan: Aug 4, 2006 - 11:56 PM

--------------------

post Aug 6, 2006 - 3:12 PM
+Quote Post
CelicaBuddy

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 1, '04
Currently Offline

ahhh awesome! biggrin.gif

maybe i can find out whats makin my top act like crap! Thanks!

Oh and just in case if I did entirely kill the motors... how much are they? frown.gif all I hear is is that theyre expensive.

This post has been edited by CelicaBuddy: Aug 6, 2006 - 3:12 PM

--------------------

1995 Convertible Celica
2003 Nissan Murano SE
post Aug 6, 2006 - 7:48 PM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Great post. What keeps the pin from falling out?

You could just get a 98 or 99 convertible because I understand that the motors are upgraded for those years and I have never read on anyone with those years having a problem.

--------------------
QUOTE(lagos @ Jul 10, 2006 - 1:55 PM) [snapback]454118[/snapback]

i know your trying to do the right thing for your motor, but this is one of those times where you should just trust the guys who have had their swaps for a while and have done a ton of research into this.
post Aug 6, 2006 - 8:38 PM
+Quote Post
bobsurunk

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 6, '06
From Alabama
Currently Offline

Masked Man...You ARE the man...By a weird coincidence I was working
on my daughter's 99 GT Convertible this weekend. Same problem, I
could hear the motors turning but no top movement. Took the motors out,
made sure they spun the gears, BUT I couldn't see the pins in the gear
for all the grease on them. Pretty much gave up and started pricing motors.
Started surfing the net and there was your post.
Took the motors out again and sure enough, both motors had sheared
pins! Found a allen key that fit pretty snug so I sawed it up and made
two new pins.
All is well and I saved about $250 per side in new motors.
Thanks Dude!!!
post Aug 6, 2006 - 11:59 PM
+Quote Post
XS4lv1Truch0x

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Long Beach
Currently Offline

can you get a better picture of the pin??? its not that good.

--------------------
Is this good enuff 4 ya? :D

IPB Image
post Aug 8, 2006 - 9:57 AM
+Quote Post
psilly

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 12, '06
From Woodland Hills, UT
Currently Offline

QUOTE(XS4lv1Truch0x @ Aug 6, 2006 - 11:59 PM) [snapback]466211[/snapback]

Looks like a roll pin from the pic.

I think my 97 has the same prob. First the left went and yesterday the right. Damn happy to find this post!

Now if I could only find a replacement hold down latch for less than $200

This post has been edited by psilly: Aug 21, 2006 - 8:57 AM
post Aug 12, 2006 - 6:27 PM
+Quote Post
madmods

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 19, '04
From Scottsdale, Az
Currently Offline

please sticky this!
post Aug 12, 2006 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

i cant get anymore pictures as of right now, cuase i am back in LA where my 6GC isnt frown.gif. But im glad i was able to everyone out smile.gif

--------------------

post Aug 15, 2006 - 2:48 AM
+Quote Post
psilly

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 12, '06
From Woodland Hills, UT
Currently Offline

ok, they're not roll pins, they just look that way in the pic. It's a solid pin that's been scored along its length to make it stay in the hole.

I pushed mine out and replaced with 3/32" rolled pins (Home Depot). They press in nice with a bench vice. Bad news is, one broke the second day. Replaced that in 40 minutes -- will see how it does.

Some tips:
  • I removed the metal spacer thing (3 X 10mm bolts) above the speakers to access the motors & left the speakers in.
  • Don't try to drill out the pin left in the shaft -- it's hardened steel. Put the shaft in a vice and press or tap it out. I would put the shaft in the vice, not the housing, to avoid bending anything.
  • You can press te new pin in with the gear off, then slide the gear and springwasher back on after.
  • Seal the motor body to the gear housing with some silicone to keep the grease from oozing out over time.
  • Using an L-shaped allen wrench for the 4 hex screws on the motor takes forever.
  • When replacing the panel, get it into place, align/insert the end of the inside quarter window weather strip with the rubber attached to the door, then put in the plastic keepers along the seatback edge (if you want to), then move on to the screws.

This post has been edited by psilly: Aug 21, 2006 - 8:57 AM
post Aug 15, 2006 - 3:04 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

those were some nice tips psilly.

yeah the pins have to be pretty strong to move the convertible top. maybe it would also put less strain on the pins and motor if you oiled whereever the convertible top bends to make it easier for it to open and close. just a thought.

Sorry bout the bad pic of the pin, it was REALLY small, so it was hard to get a good picture of. It just looks bigger in the pictures cuase it's blown up like a bagillion times. But anyways, goodluck with your top smile.gif

--------------------

post Aug 15, 2006 - 3:18 AM
+Quote Post
JonMarkos

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 13, '06
From Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

QUOTE(psilly @ Aug 8, 2006 - 9:57 AM) [snapback]466675[/snapback]

Looks like a rolled pin from the pic.

I think my 97 has the same prob. First the left went and yesterday the right. Damn happy to find this post!

You can get a replacement hold down latch from Champion Toyota world for $126, Latch thingy

--------------------
IPB Image

We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it.
post Aug 15, 2006 - 9:42 AM
+Quote Post
psilly

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 12, '06
From Woodland Hills, UT
Currently Offline

QUOTE(JonMarkos @ Aug 15, 2006 - 3:18 AM) [snapback]469164[/snapback]

QUOTE(psilly @ Aug 8, 2006 - 9:57 AM) [snapback]466675[/snapback]

Looks like a roll pin from the pic.

You can get a replacement hold down latch from Champion Toyota world for $126, Latch thingy

Cool! Right now the part that broke (aluminum pivot arm that the J hook screws into) is at my neighbor's machine shop. He thinks he can mill a new one. If that doesn't work out, I'll buy one from that site.

This post has been edited by psilly: Aug 21, 2006 - 8:58 AM
post Aug 19, 2006 - 8:59 PM
+Quote Post
nightryder

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 29, '05
From Rochester, Massachusetts
Currently Offline

awesome, f'ing awesome! Just pulled both motors apart and rigged them up and for the first time in months i have a working soft top! just in time for the end of summer! lol. You the man!

ps. the "J" hook for the latch if very easy to machine out, I made one in my basement with a 3 inch bolt, a blow torch, a vice, a grinder and a hammer, very very easy. pm me if you want more info

--------------------
IPB Image
The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?
post Mar 24, 2007 - 4:57 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

awesome topic ever, used drill bits made of titanium. This is the post that made me join the group.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Mar 28, 2007 - 1:00 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

QUOTE(njccmd2002 @ Mar 24, 2007 - 2:57 PM) [snapback]539436[/snapback]
awesome topic ever, used drill bits made of titanium. This is the post that made me join the group.

Welcome to the group smile.gif. Nice to hear my topic is still helping people out wink.gif

--------------------

post Mar 28, 2007 - 11:38 AM
+Quote Post
aslearvert

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '06
From MICHIGAN
Currently Offline

QUOTE(madmods @ Aug 12, 2006 - 6:27 PM) [snapback]468276[/snapback]

please sticky this!

x2
post May 21, 2007 - 9:43 AM
+Quote Post
ecaddiction

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 27, '07
From Jacksonville
Currently Offline

I cannot get the pin out for the life of me. I tried taping it out, but with no success. Did anybody else have this problem?

--------------------
1997 Limited Edition Vert (((SOLD)))
post May 21, 2007 - 10:36 AM
+Quote Post
JonMarkos

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 13, '06
From Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

At first I did, but then I bought an actual tap and didn't have any problems...before then I was trying to use nails to tap it out,

--------------------
IPB Image

We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it.
post Jun 19, 2007 - 8:21 AM
+Quote Post
maxpower_hd

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 20, '06
From Northeast Massachusetts
Currently Offline

I took a small punch and ground down the end so it would fit in the hole. Then I was able to tap it right out. I also used the drill bits. I searched and searched at the local hardware store and could not find an actual pin that was the right size.

I only had to fix one side for the time being.

Nice Tech Tip.

--------------------
"Alcohol. The cause and solution to all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson
post Jul 1, 2007 - 10:52 PM
+Quote Post
toyo6gc

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 14, '07
From Gastonia, NC
Currently Offline

after reading this i think im goin to go pull my car apart 2morrow and see if thats my problem also, sounds like it could be.

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:38 PM