Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enders swap, Update 11/29/19
post Mar 10, 2012 - 1:25 PM
+Quote Post
Driver

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 3, '10
Currently Offline

As a fellow 6GC owner living in Chicago wanting to do a swap... How are you going to get around emissions?
post Mar 10, 2012 - 9:47 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 9, 2012 - 1:19 PM) *
Any chance of an update?

No real update unfortunately since school keeps me pretty busy. I'm getting a nice fat tax return though, and spring break starts next week. So it wont be much longer before I have the short block finished. at which point I'll post an update that even photobucket will notice. Speaking of buckets, the ones you sent me worked perfectly; so thanks again thumbsup.gif

As a fellow 6GC owner living in Chicago wanting to do a swap... How are you going to get around emissions?

I think your best bet would be to buy a celica that is 1995 or older

This post has been edited by enderswift: Jan 14, 2013 - 7:20 PM

--------------------
post Mar 11, 2012 - 2:01 PM
+Quote Post
Driver

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 3, '10
Currently Offline

Haha I guess I'm no longer on the fence about going to the meet lol. I really want to know! I want to throw a 2GR in mine sooo bad.
post Mar 11, 2012 - 4:47 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

You still plan on going AWD after a little while correct? And there is modification required for that, correct? Still cant wait to see this Celica at a Midwest Meet!
post Mar 11, 2012 - 5:48 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Driver @ Mar 11, 2012 - 2:01 PM) *
Haha I guess I'm no longer on the fence about going to the meet lol. I really want to know! I want to throw a 2GR in mine sooo bad.

good, these midwest meets need to keep growing. And a 2gr sounds pretty awesome

You still plan on going AWD after a little while correct? And there is modification required for that, correct? Still cant wait to see this Celica at a Midwest Meet!

Sure am. The extent of the modification is limited to constructing custom subframe mounts, since the rear usdm floorpan is different from that of an actual gt4. Its nothing crazy though.

--------------------
post Mar 11, 2012 - 6:27 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Awesome.
post Mar 16, 2012 - 1:27 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I'm glad the buckets worked out for you smile.gif I can't wait to see this thing fired up!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 20, 2012 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Hello everyone,

Many interesting and time consuming things have been keeping me busy the last few months so unfortunately there hasn't been too much progress on the rebuild. Nevertheless it is now spring break, and I have a little spare cash to burn. So I have been ordering parts and finally tore into the bottom end. Observe:

the Toyota fipg stuff is awesome at sealing and preventing leaks. But damn does it fight you when you're trying to take everything apart

I try to make a habit of threading bolts right back into their respective parts to avoid confusion later, which is the case with this upper oil pan

After a few hours I had my work bench setup for the next round of rebuilding, complete with a new template to keep me organized and a number of parts ready for a round of cleaning.

Its usually a good idea to put cuts of hose on the rod bolts to prevent them from scratching the cylinder walls during removal

Having done that I was happy to see the cylinder walls were in really good condition. No scuffs, scratches, or cracks anywhere thumbsup.gif Maybe this motor wasn't so badly abused after all.

the rod bearings on the other hand show a little wear from what can only be a lot of cold starts. Nothing to be alarmed about though, and there were no signs of oil starvation. I'm assuming these are multi-layer bearings from the way the wear pattern looks

The block looks relatively clean on the inside, which is surprising considering the cylinder head was absolutely filthy.

Thankfully all of the crank journals look in good shape, but I'm still going to get them polished in preparation for a new set of bearings smile.gif

Overall these photos don't depict much progress, but the fact of the matter is that the bottom end is much simpler compared to the cylinder head. Way fewer parts (most of which have convenient stampings), and way fewer surfaces to tolerance. Therefore things should progress at a much quicker pace compared to before (money permitting)

In the coming weeks I plan to get the block hot tanked, crank polished, cylinders honed, and a number of replacement parts in. So a short block should be complete by mid May, at which point I'll be focusing my attention on all of the ancillary assemblies. The ultimate goal being to have a long block complete by mid July.

This post has been edited by enderswift: Dec 22, 2012 - 10:06 AM

--------------------
post Mar 21, 2012 - 6:30 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
post Mar 21, 2012 - 7:40 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

looks good. can't wait to see it finished. smile.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 26, 2012 - 10:58 PM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

I love the wrinkle paint job on that valve cover! Wish you had posted this thread in Forced Induction! You've been hiding!

--------------------
post Apr 2, 2012 - 8:32 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I love the wrinkle paint job on that valve cover! Wish you had posted this thread in Forced Induction! You've been hiding!

thanks bud, I was going for more of an oem look and I'm glad it turned out alright. I really suck at painting haha

small update:

Got some parts in. Oil pump, water pump, belt tensioner, the enormous thermostat, pcv valve, and some other stuff. Its a funny feeling when you spend $400 dollars but the package is really small haha. Money well spent though and I really cant say enough good things about Lithia Toyota, amazing customer service.

All I have left to buy is the bearings and rings. Everything else is ready

--------------------
post Apr 2, 2012 - 8:50 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Hurry up! Lol.
post Apr 17, 2012 - 6:22 PM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

Necesito update sir.

--------------------
post Apr 27, 2012 - 11:03 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Necesito update sir.

Oh believe me, no one wants to see updates to this thing more than I do haha, but the last few weeks at school have been absolute insanity. The only things I've done are limited to a few minor refurbishings that aren't even worth talking about. I'm graduating so there will be many updates when I start working.

oh yea the two idler bearings came in for only $30, so thanks for letting me know about B&D thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by enderswift: Apr 27, 2012 - 11:05 PM

--------------------
post Jun 27, 2012 - 8:25 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Hey guys,

long time no update. Things have been pretty hectic: I've graduated, I've started a career, and I had to see some other projects through. Namely this:

Everything is done now. So expect big updates soon because I finally have a steady income and free time woooo!

This post has been edited by enderswift: Oct 3, 2012 - 12:30 PM

--------------------
post Jun 29, 2012 - 2:48 PM
+Quote Post
thatmr2

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '10
From Massachusetts
Currently Offline

can't wait for updates!
post Jun 29, 2012 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jun 27, 2012 - 9:25 PM) *
Hey guys,

long time no update. Things have been pretty hectic: I've graduated, I've started a career, and I had to see some other projects through. Namely this:

Everything is done now. So expect big updates soon because I finally have a steady income and free time woooo!

Are you in the FSAE?
post Jun 29, 2012 - 7:44 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

You have two weeks to get this engine in your car and come to the meet. That is all.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jun 30, 2012 - 10:18 AM
+Quote Post
Zake

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 7, '10
From Ft. Lauderdale
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jun 29, 2012 - 7:44 PM) *
You have two weeks to get this engine in your car and come to the meet. That is all.

^this

--------------------

Never Forget. - 2013 Mustang. I miss you every day.

31 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:34 PM