post Jun 21, 2016 - 7:07 PM
+Quote Post
Makarintosh

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 23, '15
From Ireland
Currently Offline

Update!

So decided to look at the wiring. Being new to it, had a look around thinking that all i needed to do was to switch the dash plugs (end of ECU loom) and just plug and go... Noooope. So both looks were opened up and I started the process of mixing and matching the wires. Beginning with the diagnostics, switched them all out. Then, started to work out what extra wire I needed from the 4AFE to the 4AGE and worked out only the circuit starter relay was needed from the top of my head. Maybe few other bits. Finally, started to look at the ECU diagrams. Was a bit confusing but then I cracked open the 7AFE ECU and took down all the pinout code from there. Unfortunately, the 4AGE does not have that but after a long look around the internet, managed to figure out each wire.

Now, all that needs to be done really is to move over the sensors from the 4AGE loom to the 7AFE loom. I will be using the original fuse box so it all neatly packs away and also the plug to the secondary section of the fuse box all plugs in without a hitch.

I made an Excel sheet of my pinouts for the ECUs if anybody is curious. Welcome to modify to your needs, just let me know if you need it.

Hopefully I get that done tomorrow and then it's on to grind the valve seats and valves for a tight seal.
post Jul 2, 2016 - 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
Makarintosh

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 23, '15
From Ireland
Currently Offline

Decided to skip the whole painting and polishing the ports. A) Can't find my dremel and B) sick of getting busses so I wanna put this back together ASAP.

Today, I managed to reassemble the engine. Everything is back on and managed to time everything correctly (including VVT advancement). No interference.
Poured in some oil just to make sure nothing inside is grinding or anything.
Now the plan is to hook up the wiring loom I made to run out the loom properly and make sure all wires have the length. Pic of today's work.

post Jul 17, 2016 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
Makarintosh

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 23, '15
From Ireland
Currently Offline

So I have finally taken out the 4AFE and put in the 4AGE over the weekend. Gearbox hooked up great (though had to cut 2 pieces but no biggy). clutch is working but needs to be bled/topped up.

Question time! There are 2 vacuum pipes for the brake booster, the at200 has one. Dont matter which one i use, right? Just cover one up with a nipple? Then on to power steering lines. Anyone know dimensions of the celica lines? may get braided lines as the olds ones actually had huge chunks taken out of them.

Think I had more questions but i am so tired i dunno what else..

Picture time! Apologies for the look of the engine but i have no more patience for taking the bus lol

post Aug 6, 2016 - 12:40 PM
+Quote Post
Makarintosh

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 23, '15
From Ireland
Currently Offline

So I finally got to a point with the wiring where I decided to see if the accessories go live. Turned the key and I had dash lights and all, only I think I have the alternator wire mixed with the starter wire... yikes! Quickly switched it off. But that is a huge positive for me! Knowing that nothing has blown so far and lights are coming on. I feel like crying from happiness... xD
post Sep 16, 2018 - 2:33 AM
+Quote Post
Makarintosh

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 23, '15
From Ireland
Currently Offline

Sooooo haven't written anything on this in a long while!

Basically after over a year of more tinkering with the 4age, I had managed to finally get it running. I had gone though 2 sets of looms before I worked out how to do it better (not perfect). It started up and it was running lean I think as it kept backfiring, most likely the tining. At this point I think I still had wire gremlins. Being too new to this I called it and decided to try swap the engine for 3sge non beams. Found a fantastic gent who was looking for a BT for his AE101 and so we traded.

Setup I got was stock engine, s54 LSD box, loom ecu, full stock exhaust and think that's it.

Plugged it all up, plumbed in everything and started it. Runs perfect. Even drives on its own power.

There are a few bits and pieces which need attention like power steering pump to rack needs to be connected, fans kick in as soon as the key is turned to accessories, rack ends need replacing and abs light is on (hubs I have don't have abs sensor).

Besides that, wash and wiper blades, tax and road worthiness test and its good to go. Oh and insurance...

Will get a pic of what it looks like now soon.
post Sep 20, 2018 - 8:08 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

ITB the thing w/ the 20v BT itbs if you still have it.

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:32 AM