6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HOW TO: Sunroof Drains / Headliner Removal / Sunroof Removal, Pictorial for sunroof equipped 6GC healiner and sunroof ass. removal
post Jul 24, 2013 - 10:22 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I have been planning to do this for a long time, but here it finally is!!!

As some of you may remember, after I bought my car last year I had some problems with the sunroof making me... well, very cold and wet tongue.gif

Yesterday I had my car parked facing up the hill in front of my house when It was raining. When I drove off the gutter to drive back in the driveway, a couple of liters of water suddenly splashed down my back from the roof. I was shocked, and got out of my car to inspect. The sunroof (factory fitted) was closed properly, and none of the interior or roof lining was wet (other than what I saw drop).

I have owned the car for a couple of months now, and I have not had any other trouble with it - but I don't recall it raining when it was parked in that position before.

From my research on the Internet, I thought it might be one of the sunroof drainage hoses. The way the car was parked, any water that got in would have pooled at the back on the driver side (right side over here), which is where the water splashed me from... So I was thinking that drain might be clogged.

To fix this problem I had to remove the headliner, and then the sunroof, to clear out the rear drains (which were the culprits). I have documented this for you all below.

There are many orders in which you can proceed with removing your headliner. Ther order I am demonstrating is not the exact order I followed, but is what I think would be most efficient if I was to do it again. I have broken it up into a few phases.

Phase 1 – Removing plastics at front.

1. Remove sun visors by unscrewing the 2 screws on each piece.

2. Unscrew each of the clips where the free end of the sun visor attaches, once unscrewed these require firm pressure by hand to pull out.

3. Remove the clip-on cover over the rear view mirror.... have fun! tongue.gif This took my ages because I had no idea how it attached and was going at it from the wrong angles (And didn’t want to break anything!). Please use this pic to your advantage when deciding your plan of attack.

4. Unscrew rear view mirror.

5. Remove sunroof control / domelight facia (Single screw).

6. Remove other screw (circled) holding in the controls.

7. Pull down from the left hand side and remove; unplugging the electrical connection.

Phase 2 – Removing pillar mouldings.

Please note, to remove your roof linings it is not necessary to remove any of these panels, you simply need to make enough slack at the top to be able to pull the lining out without causing damage. Other people may have completed this procedure removing less plastics than I did, but this would increase the risk of damaging / cracking anything during the process.

1. Remove coat hooks using screwdriver.

2. Remove seat belts using 14mm socket.

3. Using your fingers, unclip the overlapping plastic at the roof behind the doors (B-Pillar). To do this you just need to use gentle but firm force to pull it off. Once you have got it started you can follow along the roof line, and down the pillar a short amount. Be careful as this piece has cracked on my car between the roof and seat belt mounting point where there is a hidden clip, this may or not be a common weak point to take care

4. (OPTIONAL) I can’t remember why I did this, or if it was at all necessary (I suspect it may not have been), but I also removed these screws at the back to try and lever greater visibility behind the plastics.

Phase 3 – Removing Headliner

1. Remove the 3 clips at the back of the headliner near the hatch. I managed to get one out without completely destroying it, and ended up having to snap off the other two and order replacements (They cost about $3.50 each here... just got them done a week ago... over a year after I did this tongue.gif).

2. Remove trim around sunroof opening by just gently pulling away by hand.

3. Gently slide out the headliner through the open hatch, ensuring that you have plenty of gaps between the pillar plastics that we detached in the previous phase, so that nothing gets snagged.

Phase 4 – Remove Sunroof Assembly

From here you can view and access the drains, but my blockages were in the basin of the sunroof itself, so it still needed to come out.

1. Remove each of the 4 drain hoses (Either by hand or both the assistance of vice grips.... I can’t remember how tight these were, I think I did it by hand.)

2. Unplug more electronics (Sunroof motor controls).

3. FIND A FRIEND!!! This should be a two person job to make sure you don’t damage anything.

4. Use your socket set again (I think it stayed 14mm, but I can’t remember) and remove the numerous bolts attaching the sunroof assembly to the roof. Remember the motor controls are coming out of the car with the sunroof! Gently lower and remove via hatch again.

Phase 5 – Clean Sunroof Drains

Now you have your sunroof out you can do whatever you need to do; clean sunroof drains, change fabric on the sunshade, replace glass, repair motor etc. etc.

There is one drain at each corner of the basin;

Here were the culprits of my problems;

Then clean;

Then you have to put it all back again!!!

A few more random pics, including sunroof out.

Wow.... my car was so stock back then tongue.gif

I do have more pictures, but I think there were the most useful. There are a few places that could do with a few extra photos – if you have some that are relevant I can chuck ‘em in or I may end up taking some more at a later date.

As I mentioned before, I did this over a year ago now, so my memory isn’t crystal clear (And it is 1:30AM here atm) tongue.gif If there is anything that I have missed or if you have any more specific details or suggested alterations I am more than happy to update this so that it is a one-stop shop of sunroof model headliner removal and sunroof removal.

This post has been edited by JoshuaM: Jul 24, 2013 - 10:22 AM

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:47 AM