Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuppylodder's '97 ST202 2GR-FE swap
post May 3, 2019 - 12:57 AM
+Quote Post
Fuppylodders

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 9, '19
Currently Offline

Hey, I'm a frequent member over on CCUK, but here is where I first found out about the 2GR-FE swap, I'd seen that njccmd2002 was one of the first to have one, and after reading through some of his Beams thread (photophuckit ruins it frown.gif ), his Vert thread, and the thread titled 'never satisfied', I wanted to let him see what he helped inspire, as I was originally looking at a 1mz/3mz swap.

I have already had the Celica for about 3 years now, and 2 of those it has been in a body shop and engine shop. I work away 9 months of the year, so don't have the time (nor space nor know-how with regards to electrics, or welding capability/capacity amongst many other things kindasad.gif ) but the job afforded me to make it happen anyway. So I still had the vision! laugh.gif

Well, the project itself is not far from being complete already.

Bodyshop to carry out:
  • Full strip down of the car-Done
  • All rust removed/welded up- eh, sore subject, was done, have had to get the body shop to revisit this kindasad.gif
  • Full respray-about 98% done
  • Rebuild car with all new parts/fully refurbished parts-about 97% done
  • Merge GT4 front bumper with Tom's Lip-Done
  • Merge rear lip with rear bumper-Done
  • Remove glass sunroof and replace with a fabricated metal panel that works in its place so the paint job can be applied to it while keeping sunroof functionality (not to be confused with transparency)-Done
  • Interior reupholstered-door cards and rear quarter cards covered in leather too-Done
  • BC racing coilovers fitted-Done
  • GT4 front and rear caliper conversion-called off (I wasn't happy with shaving off near on a 1/3rd of the lug mating face material for safety reasons)-instead bought a full set of PB Brakes: 330mm disc, 6pot front set up and 4pot rear calipers and I forget the size of rear disc, but is smaller. I think 304mm or thereabouts.

• Woodsport to carry out the 2GR-FE engine conversion. For those that haven't heard of them, they mainly deal with MR2's, Beams, gen4 3SGTE, 1mz, 3mz, 2GR conversions for all 3 gens of the MR2. Also some bodywork/custom fabricated stuff, and erecently the Hapers hatch for the mk1 MR2. Anyway, moving on! Nearly done-fully installed, but required car to be finished off at bodyshop to be road worthy to set up and road test engine. That'll happen hopefully next week.
  • Exhaust-Dual exit either side sitting inside the rear lip-Done.

Me to do:
  • Chrome door sill strips to be converted to light up the word 'Celica'-Passenger side-Done.
  • Modernise the rear center brake light-Nearly there. Chrome internals done, just have to attach it inside the stock holder. Custom resin cast clear and diffused pattern removed-nearly done, just got to work some bubbles out to perfect it. Current progress looks promising.
  • Customise rear lights. Something completely different and more modern looking-In progress.
  • I have someone working on working out if/how to get a 7GC set of dash gauges working for a 6GC so I can then modify them into the dash. I like the LED section tongue.gif
  • Modify the 6GC dash to fit the 7GC round air vents in place of the rectangular ones. Then get it recovered in leather to fit with the rest of the interior.

Points of note for the 2GR-FE swap, The engine was hitting everything and in the way of everything. So it was lowered down about an inch (front subframe modified and reinforced), moved to UK passenger side an inch, and moved forward an inch or so. The sump is now sitting rather low cwm13.gif so I'll be making an undertray to at least be some sort of first impact point for it should any rogue bumps get in the way rolleyes.gif

(EXTREMELY Picture heavy incoming)

Chrome door sill tread plates customised:

Center Rear Brake Light:

Some random ebay rear middle tail light for some random vehicle

Poured in resin to smooth it out. Next attempt need to do 2 thin layers rather than one thick.

Intention of making rubber seals too, but the one I used was seriously dry rotted and didnt take well to the silicone. It failed... Will try again though.

I've actually produced about 6 of these, each progressing with lessons learned until I swapped to a longer curing resin, which gave me much clearer result, but never really cured properly so is always slightly tacky, and I learned another lesson why I still get big bubbles on the lens. Another silicone moulding method will be attempted to combat that issue. I WILL succeed!

Current best result: Could be acceptible, if only seen from a distance, don't look too close tongue.gif But I'm a perfectionist and it's not acceptable to me... Especially if I'll be making them to offer for other people if wanted.

Custom rear tail light units:
First inception came because I saw an aftermarket center side/brake/reverse light unit for a 2015-2017 Mustang on google while looking for inspiration. An idea instantly popped in my head and I paintshopped a pic to see what it could potentially look like:

Very happy with that! Wasn't sure on length of the light unit though, so I went ahead and ordered two. My next leave would be interesting!
Research on angles of visibility required:

Removing the LED unit from its casing-this would be as small as I can get it apart.

Testing the lights at work-they're nice and bright!

Rough plan on how I'd fit them in the JDM rear light housing:

On leave-it's close, but looks like it could fit?

Cutting up to fit the LED units in:

Testing in the light housing, looking good so far:

Now to start on the indicator. I wanted 2 sets of sequential LED arrow indicators next to each other, with a relay enabling them to be sequential as though they were one, but I was having issues with providing enough power through the relay to light the indicator arrow, so binned that idea, and went with one smaller arrow that is a simple on/off, and one sequential to the outside of that so it looks like it emanates from the on/off arrow. Wanted to make a cover plate out of perspex to sit the arrows into so they weren't sunken in, and the rest of the room could be used for something else! Expanding foam to shape some perspex over with a heat gun.

Started the cover:

An awful lot of filing and test fitting and heatgunning later, its done!:

Perfect fit too! Coincidentally, the perspex was the exact same thickness as was the small lip that runs all around the indicator section, so sits flush:

What's this? fiber optic tubing to make fiber optic LED side light for behind the indicator (further round the side). Trying to make my own lights has turned me into a bit of a light nerd and I've really ended up looking into different lights, and commonalities with modern day vehicle light designs. One thing most vehicles have in common nowadays is the side light can be seen from... the side. I wanted to replicate this, with a fiber optic tube light. Ordered some straight tube from ebay/china, arrived mega fast, from a distance of around 30cm and very carefully (after first attempt bubbled a piece) bent the tube to test bending capability. It worked out as below:

Made a new piece, bent it specifically to fit where I wanted it to go, attached 2 of the LED lights-one on each end, and this is the result:

The black cover plate will be bent in so it shows more of the tube and stops being able to see behind the cover plate. Will possibly put a reflector on the empty spot of the cover plate as I've no idea where else I'd want to put a rear reflector on the Celica's rear end.

That's where I'm at, at the moment!

This post has been edited by Fuppylodders: May 3, 2019 - 11:56 AM
post May 3, 2019 - 12:02 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

That’s a lot of progress in one post! Interesting work with the taillights.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post May 3, 2019 - 12:08 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

awesome! another 2gr! I had the pleasure of seeing and driving njccmd2002's vert at the midwest meet and I think you will love it once you're done.

the tail lights look pretty cool. looking forward to the finished product.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post May 3, 2019 - 1:23 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Love to see this kind of enthusiasm.

Welcome, and keep posting this great content!

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 3, 2019 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I appreciate your level of OCD doing a full body respray, nothing drives me more insane than seeing one colour on the outside and then something entirely different in the engine bay. Unless the car was originally black, then it's ok.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 3, 2019 - 2:37 PM
+Quote Post
Fuppylodders

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 9, '19
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ May 3, 2019 - 1:02 PM) *
That’s a lot of progress in one post! Interesting work with the taillights.

Thanks! That's 2 years of progress and ideas tried out! I was a bit concerned about picture spam too!
I'm not entirely sure the gen 7 instrument cluster idea will work as it's going from normal electrics to canbus, which while I know sweet f a about electrics except the basics, I understand could be the stopping point between enabling it to happen.
I've done a lot of trial and error, and been lucky where I needed to be lucky so far. Specifically lucky with the size of the mustang led units, getting the chrome tread plate correct the first time (recommend putting clear sti ky tape over the letters when chain drilling to prevent accidental slippage marks!). Lots of trial and error with the resin casting and silicone mould making to which I've still got a lot to learn to perfect it. Vacuum chamber is a must though, it's made a hell of a difference, and worth every penny.
Also learned some health and safety lessons! Safety glasses when using even a dremmel grinding disc! I had one shatter and bounced off my nose slicing it, onto my safety glasses. I'd now be blind in one eye if it weren't for them!
Also had minor chemical burns on my eyeballs (painful) because of the fumes of the degassing of the silicone. DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA! 2 weeks I spent scared of losing my eyesight (which is what prompted me to decide to wear safety glasses when grinding! So it does pay off!)

QUOTE (cheela @ May 3, 2019 - 1:08 PM) *
awesome! another 2gr! I had the pleasure of seeing and driving njccmd2002's vert at the midwest meet and I think you will love it once you're done.

the tail lights look pretty cool. looking forward to the finished product.

I'm massively looking forward to seeing how it feels and how the power delivers! It's like waiting for Christmas to come whi h keeps getting put back and delayed. Problem is, I know of the clearance issues under the bonnet/hood, and was glad to have found how njcc addressed it. However, I found that after mine had been addressed in a different method. I do have some questions for him regarding clearance and mounting points and how he addressed those issues, if he came across them all at all...
I'm also pondering supercharging it. Which raises all sorts of issues, the hood being one, to which would end up in me learning how to weld aluminium and a modified gt4 hood laugh.gif But I really need to drive it first and see what it's like before I commit to that. That was my ultimate goal, but the budget for this car has already been blown out of all proportion so I don't want to pay out for a supercharger kitif I can find happiness as it is.

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ May 3, 2019 - 2:23 PM) *
Love to see this kind of enthusiasm.

Welcome, and keep posting this great content!

Thank you, I'll keep it updated as and when I can! But won't really be much to update until I get back on leave I expect (6 weeks time)
post May 3, 2019 - 6:01 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

cheela pooped his pants with the rev limiter in gear 1. then smeared them with the torque in 2nd gear and thirds...

nice to see another 2gr.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 3, 2019 - 6:12 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

I see were your engine is lowered. Saw the notch is in the Sub frame. I did not lower my engine, I do have a moroso oil pan and it sits too low as it is. If I were to lower mine, id scrape the pan...

I saw all your pics, good job, you will love the engine.

i have e153, and 1st gear is to short..... but 2nd and third suffice.

Im using hood spacers...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 3, 2019 - 7:53 PM
+Quote Post
Fuppylodders

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 9, '19
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ May 3, 2019 - 2:28 PM) *
I appreciate your level of OCD doing a full body respray, nothing drives me more insane than seeing one colour on the outside and then something entirely different in the engine bay. Unless the car was originally black, then it's ok.

I'm the same, but also I wanted this doing properly. It was almost completely properly but i allowed myself to be swayed on the inside which I regret now... I'd wanted even the inside done all over too, everything. But they said because it was a 3 stage paint application it was going to be costly when the interior gets covered up so they'd done it in black on the bits that would get covered and not seen. I regret agreeing to it now, maybe at some point ill address it myself, should be easy enough. I do like things done properly, where possible, even if its hidden, I know it's there and that bugs me!

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 3, 2019 - 6:01 PM) *
cheela pooped his pants with the rev limiter in gear 1. then smeared them with the torque in 2nd gear and thirds...

nice to see another 2gr.

Hahaha I look forward to enjoying that moment myself! Although armed with that knowledge, I'll be sure to have seat covers on tongue.gif

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 3, 2019 - 6:12 PM) *
I see were your engine is lowered. Saw the notch is in the Sub frame. I did not lower my engine, I do have a moroso oil pan and it sits too low as it is. If I were to lower mine, id scrape the pan...

I saw all your pics, good job, you will love the engine.

i have e153, and 1st gear is to short..... but 2nd and third suffice.

Im using hood spacers...

I can't imagine I'd have any room to fit a moroso pan then! Although, I'd rather not have to spend anymore on it, I'll be happy once it's done, so it doesnt swallow my bank account anymore laugh.gif
Did your engine sit against the power steering pipe on your passenger side when you were first trialling fitment?
Im also wondering about fitting cruise control to it. Unfortunately the donor vehicle has gone so I have to source a whole host of stuff for that elsewhere... Wondered if you'd thought about it. I saw in one of your threads you got rid of your cruise control which I assume came standard on the vert?

I was going to go with an E56, but after what I was told was an e56 that I'd bought from someone, turned out to be some strange rare 7afe lsd equipped gearbox with an incorrect bolt pattern that wouldn't fit the 2grfe. I ended up going with what was suggested as analternative, an e153. It still had the thick drive shafts though... So they still got used.
Thankfully I don't need hood spacers, I see your preference at not using them, and you can see on the subframe what is required should you choose to go that route, but then I'd be tempted to go the modified hood route as yours is smaller and a smaller bump would be required.
post May 4, 2019 - 9:08 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

when i started this swap, i had no idea what to do. Im not a mechanic, or had the experience. I had the tools and the will.

My goal was to set everything as oem as possible, and with less amount of serious mods to replicate the swap easy.

Notching the frame to have clearance, was the biggest one, and it was a small notch to say...

I sourced ps pump from camry, and kept a/c. Fortunately my steering rack was not in the way as much as a RHD rack, using the RAV4 mount and custom adapter plate, the engine sits, actually 1 inch higher than yours.

If you ever decide to track car, you will need a baffled oil pan. otherwise you can starve engine, and as it is, mine sits very low.

The gt4 hoood has much better clearance than the regular hood, I had one, but i damaged it. Decided against it again, for cost, and wanted my car to look like a regular convertible.

As far as cruise control, i dont drive long distance, and doubt it will shift for me, I had it in the beams and 5sfe, and never used it.

I used the competition clutch, and absolutely hate it, so much, that i will probably have to buy another very soon...

I was planning on tracking the car more, but at the end I tried it, and it just did not feel right, specially with all the rare parts, decided to take better care of it..

Is woodsport doing all your wiring? Im planning on upgrading my wiring, soon, and fix a couple of things that just bbother me.

--------------------

post May 4, 2019 - 1:03 PM
+Quote Post
Fuppylodders

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 9, '19
Currently Offline

You're definitely a very talented/skilled person to have succeeded with this. I wouldn't even have a clue where to start! It is interesting to note the route you went with regards to notching the chassis instead, and may well be a better choice too. I'll be needing to take special care of my subframe otherwise I'd have to get any replacement subframe also notched/modified!

I don't plan on tracking the car, perhaps on a trip to the nurburgring but that'd be it. I will be too concerned about ruining it if I tracked it, and it'd end up with me chasing for better performance parts which means never ending money pit. Thankfully I have a house deposit to be saving for so priorities are on that.
I've yet to feel what the clutch is like, but it won't be my daily driver so hopefully if its too bitey, I can put up with it.

Yup, they did all the wiring for it already. As far as I'm aware, it's not too dissimilar than the mr2s but I don't really know. You seem more than competent enough but I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering some questions about it if you had any?

Thanks for the pm, am working my way through reading the build thread! Already very interesting read and I'm only on the second page!

Your end result looks like a very tidy job, and it is clear to see you prefer the subtle and oem look which is nice to see because it almost looks a piece of art!
I'm in awe of how you address the various problems you've come across not letting yourself get beaten.
post Jul 22, 2019 - 6:43 PM
+Quote Post
Fuppylodders

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 9, '19
Currently Offline

Well, a small update.
Finally got the car finished with at the body shop, and got to drive it all of 3 miles to the audio install place at about 30mph the whole way so didn't get to really feel what it's like.
I spent about 3 hours trying to get the rear roof spoiler fitted, what an absolute pain in the arse that was! It's like, the clamps would sit too wide and hit the frame of the car when closing the trunk/boot lid if I had the front of the spoiler just rearward so the black trim was just about lined up with the forward edge of the hatch. Got it fitted but I'm not truly happy with it as it's kinda squished up on the left side to prevent the clamp hitting the chassis so will address that on my next leave.

[

Also made some slight progress on the custom rear lights. Started hacking up the left side while I still have access to visually see where I had cut away to make the light holder fit. Worked out well and got it done pretty fast compared to the first one. Next to do is to make the indicator cover plate for the left side, make the led tube side light for the left side. Make some mounts for them so they sit firmly in place. Modify both cover plates to fit the indicator arrows. Then time to fix the main light holders in place with expanding foam, some fiberglass pug over that, smooth it, then fix the clear lens on (hopefully if I get that finished good enough)

Speaking of clear lens, I made a start on that too.
Getting one vacuum formed will cost a few thousand due to requiring metal moulds to ensure the lens remains spotlessly clear while using durable acrylic so I'm kinda out on a limb having to try and form my own. Not easy to do by any stretch due to compound curves...

Need to flatten it more, so will probably have to fill the housing with expanding foam, cut back and shape it to what I need, then try heating up and forming the lens over that to finish it up rather than just on the oem lens as I did previously, as its too curved at the edges at the moment

Rear center brake light turned out OK. The one single lens I'd managed to cast that had a slight bit of fogging isn't as bad once it's fitted.
Looks oem too!

Also started and finished the driver side tread plate (although accidentally chain drilled through part of the letter 'A' I didn't want to, but managed to salvage it) so now I've a full set of tread plates ready to fit and wire in on my next leave!

Audio system will have been fitted by my next leave, including the boot build, so the rest of the interior will be put in and it'll be all finished!
Roll on October....

This post has been edited by Fuppylodders: Jul 23, 2019 - 1:29 PM
post Jul 24, 2019 - 2:24 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

haha! 3 miles and you managed to not thrash on it. You've got some good self-control.

glad to see it just about finished. it looks great and yeah, those roof spoilers were a pain to line up but I love how it looks.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jul 24, 2019 - 4:59 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm having flashbacks.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 7, 2019 - 1:09 PM
+Quote Post
jim7564

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 31, '19
From scotland
Currently Offline

looking good.when can i place an order for the rear brakelight

bet you wish you had gone wider now laugh.gif laugh.gif

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:09 AM