post Sep 9, 2017 - 4:36 AM
+Quote Post
DinSt202

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 8, '17
From Malaysia
Currently Offline

Dear all,
First of all im sorry if this is a repetitive question. I have tried to open the link provided in the sticky thread, but it says account suspended.

Im really new to Toyota. Just got my self st202 last month, comes with 3sge auto tranny.
I wanted to convert it to manual. It really hard to get st202 manual gearbox from the scrapyard at my place.

So i was thinking to get the st205 4wd manual gearbox instead. Is it possible to make it to 2wd?

Or any other gearbox that can fit directly to my st202 inclusive the driveshaft and mountings?
post Sep 9, 2017 - 10:23 AM
+Quote Post
DinSt202

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 8, '17
From Malaysia
Currently Offline

Thanks admin. Sorry for the multiple posts. Had some problem with my internet here.

Anyway... Please anyone advice me.

Thanks in advance.
post Sep 9, 2017 - 12:33 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

Geez man it would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder to convert the gear box to fwd than to just search for an s54. Just keep looking for a s54 gear box and you'll find one.

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Sep 9, 2017 - 9:34 PM
+Quote Post
DinSt202

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 8, '17
From Malaysia
Currently Offline

Sorry still really new in toyota. Whats a s54 gearbox?
post Sep 10, 2017 - 10:40 AM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DinSt202 @ Sep 9, 2017 - 9:34 PM) *
Sorry still really new in toyota. Whats a s54 gearbox?

The stock manual gearbox that comes on a fwd celica with a 5sfe, 3sge or 3sfe engine

This post has been edited by 1994Celica: Sep 10, 2017 - 7:09 PM

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Sep 10, 2017 - 8:08 PM
+Quote Post
DinSt202

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 8, '17
From Malaysia
Currently Offline

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah... Just did my homework with help from professor Google.

So im assuming any s series gearbox can be use on my ge, only that i may need to change the bell housing to mount it to the engine. Correct me if im wrong.
post Sep 11, 2017 - 7:32 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DinSt202 @ Sep 10, 2017 - 9:08 PM) *
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah... Just did my homework with help from professor Google.

So im assuming any s series gearbox can be use on my ge, only that i may need to change the bell housing to mount it to the engine. Correct me if im wrong.

There are a few things to consider:
- S series boxes came with different gear ratios and final drives. Celica ones have shortest gears, Camry has the longest.
- 3S motor had different crank bolt pattern than 5S. You'll need to make sure your flywheel and clutch combo are from a 3S (such as the BEAMS one). Alternatively, there are some aftermarket flywheels that have universal 3S/5S pattern, but I think those are for E series clutch/pressure plate, not sure if S series pressure plate bolts on.
- Bell housings are not removable on either S or E series boxes.

In summary, here are your options:
3S GTE FW + E153 from V6 Camry/Solara (similar to E154f but 2WD only), but this requires semi-custom passenger side CV axle. Much stronger gearbox though vs S54.
3S GE FW + S54 from BEAMS celica - stock solution, your current CV axles should work, though may be hard to find
post Sep 11, 2017 - 7:54 PM
+Quote Post
DinSt202

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 8, '17
From Malaysia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (slavie @ Sep 11, 2017 - 8:32 PM) *
QUOTE (DinSt202 @ Sep 10, 2017 - 9:08 PM) *

There are a few things to consider:
- S series boxes came with different gear ratios and final drives. Celica ones have shortest gears, Camry has the longest.
- 3S motor had different crank bolt pattern than 5S. You'll need to make sure your flywheel and clutch combo are from a 3S (such as the BEAMS one). Alternatively, there are some aftermarket flywheels that have universal 3S/5S pattern, but I think those are for E series clutch/pressure plate, not sure if S series pressure plate bolts on.
- Bell housings are not removable on either S or E series boxes.

In summary, here are your options:
3S GTE FW + E153 from V6 Camry/Solara (similar to E154f but 2WD only), but this requires semi-custom passenger side CV axle. Much stronger gearbox though vs S54.
3S GE FW + S54 from BEAMS celica - stock solution, your current CV axles should work, though may be hard to find

Cool. Thanks a lot for the details. So it seems best bet would be to get a s54 gearbox since thats the cheapest workable way to go. Since a manual 5sfe also are really hard to get here + needs to scout for additional parts.

Looks like i just need to bear with the auto tranny for a while and just proceed with supercharging my engine. Just hope it doesnt wear out my auto gearbox too fast.hahaha
post Sep 11, 2017 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

Or you could look for a beams swap.

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Sep 11, 2017 - 11:24 PM
+Quote Post
DinSt202

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 8, '17
From Malaysia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Sep 11, 2017 - 11:37 PM) *
Or you could look for a beams swap.

Yeah... But... It will be a waste... My engine still i good condition. Its just that i feel its lacking of power using the auto tranny.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:40 PM