> Rise of the Phoenix, '96 Firebird Formula 6-speed
post Jun 27, 2016 - 7:55 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

The XV's are great if you like replacing bulbs every 3 months.

http://store.candlepower.com/
http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html

They say it'll play with stock wiring, but due to voltage drops you won't get the absolute most lumens with stock wiring, even with stock bulbs. It's worth it to run the harness it really is.

--------------------
post Jun 27, 2016 - 2:11 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Ye the other option being the Osram Night Breaker as far as not changing anything on the car, but I figured the Philips XV would be better since they only have the blue tint crap as a ring around the top of the bulb. Bulb life isn't that big of a deal since I try to limit my night time driving as much as possible, but when it starts getting dark at like 5:00 during the winter I don't have much choice.

I guess I could make a new harness, but I'll want to go all out and use like 10 AWG so if I ever feel like being a bastard I can use 130/100W bulbs. This is where having an ostentatious LS1 Firebird would come in handy as I could keep my low beams fairly civilized but go all out on the high beams, oh well the price of looking and sounding better has bit me in the ass already.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 27, 2016 - 7:23 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

the 100W bulbs aren't going to last very long either, they burn so hot that the filament gets very fragile. Make a harness even if you're using stock wattage stuff, it makes a big big difference. Big difference.

--------------------
post Jun 27, 2016 - 8:10 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I guess I'll spend some time on Amazon and eBay finding some H4 plugs, relays, inline fuses, and some wiring. I need to go out and look at the car to see what's there and if there might be any constraints on wire AWG due to clearances with the popup assembly. Depending on differences in wire pricing will somewhat dictate what I use since I really wouldn't use 130/100W bulbs since I don't want to be a jerk. Yay more stuff to do.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 27, 2016 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

You don't need thick ass cable, even just bumping up to double the thickness of OEM makes a massive difference and is overkill. I think mine was using 12ga wire maybe 14ga, vs the stock 16 or 18ga stuff.

--------------------
post Jun 27, 2016 - 11:29 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I was thinking 12-14 AWG after looking at thickness for given amperage and wire length charts.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 28, 2016 - 5:09 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just ordered the E-code lamps and some heavy duty H4 connectors, so that'll be a fun project once all that arrives. I need to look through my stash of wiring tonight to see what all I have before ordering wiring that I may already have. After doing some research over on LS1Tech the E-code conversion is the next best thing to a bi-xenon conversion, but is marginally easier and cheaper. So that's hope inspiring, it'll be nice to be able to drive at night and see. The Celica spoiled me with its headlight optics.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 28, 2016 - 8:02 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

More than marginally easier. WAY easier. Like nearly plug n play, if you can bake a cookie from a tub you can do the swap.

--------------------
post Jun 28, 2016 - 9:16 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Someone had been making a "plug and play" bi-xenon kit, but it was $700 and I'm not sure if they're even making them anymore. I guess compared to putting one together it'll be considerably easier. Also I found something I want but will probably never be able to find:

I'd hate to know how rare, Euro taillights. The other day after a really bad thunderstorm I noticed some moisture in the driver side taillight. I thought about finding some '93-97 base model taillights and then covering them in vinyl tint so then it'd just be solid black. Other option is baking mine open, or however you go about separating them, and try to save them. Then could do the vinyl tint leaving the reflector exposed. Really that'll be my only option probably for them to look ok since the black grid section looks wonky after moisture got in...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 28, 2016 - 9:31 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

If the 98-02 tails didn't have the stupid honey comb on them they'd be nice. Can you remove that?

--------------------
post Jun 28, 2016 - 10:24 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates honeycombs, over on LS1Tech they're God's gift to automotive lighting... Apparently the '93-97 Formula/Trans Am lights are notorious for delaminating, so even if I found a nice set it'd just be a matter of time unless I could somehow reseal them and never let it become an issue. There's no way to remove the grid or honeycomb on the lights, but the '93-97 base lights would be sort of similar to having honeycombs removed and look like so:

Then they can be modified to look like such:

Even more reminiscent to the late second gen than the grid lights are.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 28, 2016 - 10:26 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Not too bad, throw in some really bright LED plug n play bulbs and you're good to go I think.

--------------------
post Jun 28, 2016 - 10:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yep, just have to find a set. My brother knows a guy at LKQ and had sent an email about getting a set, but haven't heard back yet. I do really like how they look on that blue T/A, would be even better on a black car I think.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 29, 2016 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

that last pic doesn't look too bad.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jun 29, 2016 - 5:01 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's funny how big a difference some time and paint can make. I pulled the driver side tail light just now and it looks like whatever they used to seal the lense to the housing has dried up. I took some tint I had laying around and it kind of masks they "greying" of the grid where water got to it, so if I could stop these from leaking and holding condensation I'll be ok for the time being. Though I still want the base model lights to do the above mod or just black out, since I'd use vinyl tint I could always pull it off and do the mod once I'm tired of them being blacked out.

Oh and the way the lights are done there's a piece of plastic that covers the entire top of the seal and mating surface, otherwise some silicone would take care of it quickly and easily. Trying to find info now but the general consensus seems to be not to try opening them.

This post has been edited by Box: Jun 29, 2016 - 5:06 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 30, 2016 - 8:46 AM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 28, 2016 - 11:24 PM) *
I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates honeycombs, over on LS1Tech they're God's gift to automotive lighting... Apparently the '93-97 Formula/Trans Am lights are notorious for delaminating, so even if I found a nice set it'd just be a matter of time unless I could somehow reseal them and never let it become an issue. There's no way to remove the grid or honeycomb on the lights, but the '93-97 base lights would be sort of similar to having honeycombs removed and look like so:

The bottom one looks awesome!!!!
post Jun 30, 2016 - 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

you're gonna need that high rise spoiler. wink.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jun 30, 2016 - 2:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So after extensive research the solution to my problem was to drill holes in the bottom of each bulb housing, with much chagrin that's what was done. I think for the time being I'll throw some vinyl tint on them to hide the grid delaminating and wait for LKQ to find me a set of base lights to mod.

I hate the high rise spoiler though. You have no idea how happy having the Formula with a hardtop and the low rise spoiler has made me, that and the 6-speed but that's a given. The only thing I like about the Trans Am more is the rear bumper, depending on how hard it is to change them out I might have to look out for a nice black rear bumper to put on.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 30, 2016 - 4:00 PM
+Quote Post
VavAlephVav

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 3, '13
From Missourah
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ClevelandGaint @ Jun 30, 2016 - 9:46 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jun 28, 2016 - 11:24 PM) *

The bottom one looks awesome!!!!

F-yeah,
Schwiiing!

--------------------
Bust a Deal; Face the Wheel.
post Jun 30, 2016 - 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

My brother really likes them too. I want a set of lights to mod so bad it's not even funny, LKQ guy needs to hurry it up. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Box: Jun 30, 2016 - 4:39 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 6:30 AM