> Tigawoods' 1995 Celica, Racing n Stuff
post Jul 26, 2018 - 5:13 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I can only seem to recall hearing bad things about Spec clutches for some reason....

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 29, 2018 - 4:46 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

hello old friend.
its me.
tigawoods.
car was put into hibernation on 11/27
Now I sit and wonder what I is to be done to it before next season.

I briefly thought about F.I. on the BEAMS today. Both Turbo and SC would be around $2k to do (to tigawoods standards, but if the BEAMS can take a bit of F.I. on stock internals it'd be considerably less)
I then thought about terminating the BEAMS Engine Harness to a motorsport connector...and buying a 4TH Gen 3SGTE, which I would also have its harness terminated to the same style of connector. Close to $2k when all is said and done.

HOT SWAP MOTORS.

Crazy Idea?

Yes.

Would I ever go back to the BEAMS?

Who knows.

I am at a crossroad. One where each path leads to $2k+ modification options. Although, the cheapest path is the one where I continue sitting at the crossroad and don't spend anything.

Here is a pic. Its to celebrate 300k+ views and 100 pages. Idk who is still looking at this thread but keep doing what you are doing (dustin)

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Nov 29, 2018 - 5:21 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

This interests me.
Have you looked at the gains for each setup and about how much each do you think?
If it's about $2k each then it just comes down to ease of parts/install and gains. but we all know you like to over-complicate things.

also, you pic is blurry.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Nov 29, 2018 - 8:45 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Just go 2GR, or wait for Hux Racing to finish his E153/J32 plate adapter and go that route!
post Nov 29, 2018 - 8:58 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Nov 29, 2018 - 8:45 PM) *
Just go 2GRat route!

"Just go 2GR"

Have you looked at the thread on the 2GR swap thread and how much of a b!tch it is to put that thing in this car? laugh.gif
post Nov 29, 2018 - 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

i still lurk...not sure why...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 30, 2018 - 8:58 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I'm personally a fan of the boosted beams idea. But I think you have to somehow reduce the compression if you're looking for BIG power. The thread was deleted because dude got butt hurt that people were still making suggestions on his build, but MR2OC used to have a thread by Mandalay with like 200 pages where he SC the beams and made I think north of 350hp conservatively. The dyno information may still be in the dyno thread over there i'm not sure.

Morale of the story is, I've been considering the same thing. Can I boost mine, even though it has 11.5/1 CR, with something small, like 5-8 psi and get away with it and still have VVTI? Tough to say if the juice is worth the squeeze, but they are 4th gen rods after all.

I was looking at maybe a link ecu plug and play or a haltech elite 2500 with the adapter harness kits that would bridge over from 2jz harness to haltech ecu. What I don't know are the harness plugs the same size and shape between 2jz/3sgte/beams or whatever so that all you have to do is correctly program the pins on the ecu? 5s and 3sge are the same, so it's worth a shot if you wanted 1 ecu and adapter harness to run 2 engines, or good standalone control of boost and vvti for the BEAMS.

STILL looks great.
Keep it up.

--------------------
post Nov 30, 2018 - 10:05 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Nov 30, 2018 - 7:58 AM) *
Morale of the story is, I've been considering the same thing. Can I boost mine, even though it has 11.5/1 CR, with something small, like 5-8 psi and get away with it and still have VVTI? Tough to say if the juice is worth the squeeze, but they are 4th gen rods after all.

I was looking at maybe a link ecu plug and play or a haltech elite 2500 with the adapter harness kits that would bridge over from 2jz harness to haltech ecu. What I don't know are the harness plugs the same size and shape between 2jz/3sgte/beams or whatever so that all you have to do is correctly program the pins on the ecu? 5s and 3sge are the same, so it's worth a shot if you wanted 1 ecu and adapter harness to run 2 engines, or good standalone control of boost and vvti for the BEAMS.

STILL looks great.
Keep it up.

It may work with the high compression using E85 assuming you have access to it, or like you said, low boost. You'll still maintain VVTi with a good standalone as a lot of new standalones are able to support it along with drive-by-wire now. It'll be costly, but the driving experience would probably put it on a whole new level.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 30, 2018 - 12:41 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

whatever I do yeah, Im going to need a standalone. Its been first on the list for a while.

For the cost of everything (ems, turbo, custom manifold etc) I would like to save some $ and avoid lowering the compression. If I have to I have to but I would also rather stay away from E85 if possible.

Without a doubt I would want to run less than 10psi. Other than the good hardware I would make sure it gets a very VERY good tune. Since the motor would see more work than a standard run around street car I would want to make sure it holds up to the pressure (pun intended)

I bet if I were to just toss a 4th GTE in I would be sad that I have an OE unmodified motor. The aftermarket options are so readily available for it too.
To kinda compare. $2k for a complete swap installed VS probably est $4K to turbo the BEAMS (if done how id want)

Chances are nothing might be done this winter. Probably just a fuel surge tank to fight sloshing when racing

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Nov 30, 2018 - 12:44 PM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 30, 2018 - 1:42 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 29, 2018 - 7:58 PM) *
QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Nov 29, 2018 - 8:45 PM) *
Just go 2GRat route!

"Just go 2GR"

Have you looked at the thread on the 2GR swap thread and how much of a b!tch it is to put that thing in this car? laugh.gif

It’s not, I can help, I’m around. I can remake the mount and pedal. It’s not rocket science. It’s not like anyone will go blind like I did. With no mechanical skills, I self taught welding and wiring. It takes determination

Boosting the beams is doable, but at what cost. Busted head gasket is expensive, have to order it, and internals are pricy too. 4th gen is the best option or k swap series

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 30, 2018 - 1:50 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Still watching as well Mike.

I've always kicked around the idea of a 5SGTE BEAMS.... I remember seeing a video some years ago of a guy in Russia with one pushing 700hp. Sounds fun to me.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Nov 30, 2018 - 3:26 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 30, 2018 - 1:42 PM) *
Boosting the beams is doable, but at what cost. Busted head gasket is expensive, have to order it, and internals are pricey too. 4th gen is the best option or k swap series

THIS
These are the things that keep me up and night. What to do and at what cost?

Ill probably just mess with the motor with a standalone. Thatll buy me some more time with the decision.

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 30, 2018 - 3:51 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Nov 30, 2018 - 2:26 PM) *
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 30, 2018 - 1:42 PM) *
Boosting the beams is doable, but at what cost. Busted head gasket is expensive, have to order it, and internals are pricey too. 4th gen is the best option or k swap series

THIS
These are the things that keep me up and night. What to do and at what cost?

Ill probably just mess with the motor with a standalone. Thatll buy me some more time with the decision.

That’s why I went 2gr, plenty engines are coming out now, if I fry one, toss it and get another low mileage one. No rebuild, no waiting for parts, no headaches.

Loved the beams, but I also wanted more.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 30, 2018 - 10:59 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

The K-series wouldn't be a bad option either. Some MR2 powerhouse guys are using it since it's good.
Gotta run the e153; but Hux has their adapter plate you can get to make things easier.
Still need a custom mount (or two, don't remember); but I can clarify w/ the 6gc guy up here who has it in his.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Nov 30, 2018 - 11:00 PM
post Dec 1, 2018 - 2:14 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

we have a couple of NSXs down here running 800-900HP k-series swaps in their cars. crazy ****.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Dec 2, 2018 - 1:19 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

noo i was hoping you would do a 250--270hp build n/a beams motor. its not cost effective, but its so rare and cool...

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 2, 2018 - 9:26 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Dec 2, 2018 - 12:19 AM) *
noo i was hoping you would do a 250--270hp build n/a beams motor. its not cost effective, but its so rare and cool...

It’s like healthcare, get your runny nose treated or toothache in the Er, vs going to the doc office. It’s cool to put on Facebook, but not cost effective, gains nothing...

--------------------

post Dec 3, 2018 - 6:36 AM
+Quote Post
abflug

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 22, '06
From Belgium
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Dec 2, 2018 - 1:19 AM) *

I'm currently in the process of building an NA beams redtop. The engine will be stroked and bored with bigger valves, ITB setup and other camshaft. I hope to see 270-280hp.
post Dec 3, 2018 - 9:12 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

just looked up K24A2 prices....Jesus they are so cheap lol ~$700....I was going to spend that much on just the fuel surge setup....

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Dec 2, 2018 - 1:19 AM) *

Doesnt sound very track car friendly lol. Reliability is what Im kind of after here. The setup is pretty dependable right now. I would like to choose a path that will continue this trend.

QUOTE (abflug @ Dec 3, 2018 - 6:36 AM) *
I'm currently in the process of building an NA beams redtop. The engine will be stroked and bored with bigger valves, ITB setup and other camshaft. I hope to see 270-280hp.

good luck! Im curious to see how it pans out!

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Dec 3, 2018 - 9:17 AM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Dec 5, 2018 - 1:08 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

yea synchronizing the trumpets/itb is a pain and needs constant tuning from what i hear. yea eff it bro type r dc5 swap it.

but that trd altezza set up that outputs 270ps is so awesome. id love that engine for a dedicated track car.

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 5, 2018 - 1:16 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:

107 Pages V  « < 99 100 101 102 103 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:28 PM