6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turbo timer's !!!!!, do we need them ????
post Mar 9, 2005 - 2:11 AM
+Quote Post
popstar

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 24, '04
From Moscow, russia
Currently Offline

Turbo timer's as i understand are built into an alarm system so you can leave your car still running to let the turbo cool, while you go and watch the game or whatever...................

everyone tells me i should fit one to my '4', i'm thinking that if this is so important, then Mr toyota would have built one in to the cars central locking system, or not let you turn the engin off before the turbo is cool, thus saving the turbo from cracking................

i can't believe that a turboed car needs this unless you've been giving it some really pounding and then just stop it in -20........

so tell me do i need one and if so why ? and why is one not installed as standard if it's important ??????

thanks smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Life is for living, and you don't get a second chance
Take care now !!
post Mar 9, 2005 - 2:13 AM
+Quote Post
doGGy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 28, '02
From Europe, Lithuania
Currently Offline

nope, they are not so nessesary...... you can just sit, and relax after like hard driving, rething everything, and let the turbo cool down smile.gif This will be the same as Turbo timer...... lol....... This is just another TOY for big BOYS.....

--------------------
Ex celica owner - just a guy from other side of the pond...
Full custom Projects from restoration to performance builds
<<<<<< DCw / JDMart >>>>>>>
post Mar 9, 2005 - 2:17 AM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
From Pittsburgh/Clairton, PA
Currently Offline

it's not a necessity, but it is recommended if the car is ran hard and then plans to be sitting for an extended time.

i'll prob get bashed for saying this, but i feel many people overuse them, such as when they go to buy a drink inside a grocery store...

these are not a necessity, as i read about them i was under the impression they were for the turbos that are ran hard enough to glow brighter than the sun...

anyways, doubt i was help, but i figured i'd get this started

--------------------
post Mar 9, 2005 - 2:32 AM
+Quote Post
popstar

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 24, '04
From Moscow, russia
Currently Offline

Consynx. that's as i understood as well........

so as i normaly have a slow 4 minute drive from the street to my parking place, i have no real need and a doubt that the way i drive, i'd ever get my turbo more than warm, it's not in me to make it glow wink.gif

thanks for the info guys smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Take care now !!
post Mar 9, 2005 - 2:35 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Arent a necessity but are a good idea, it allows the turbo and oil to cool through the turbo so that the hot oil doesnt sit and bake in the turbo. I used to sit in my car for a few minutes before i had my timer, it gets annoying.

--------------------
post Mar 9, 2005 - 3:41 AM
+Quote Post
Insanity-74

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 9, '05
From Under the car
Currently Offline

Turbo timers arnt necessary depending upon which oil you use, as mentioned they are designed to allow the turbo to cool, to stop it from baking the oil which causes "sludge" which can block up the turbo oilways. This happens with the good old Dino oil but not with the fully synthetic stuff.
post Mar 9, 2005 - 4:53 AM
+Quote Post
popstar

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 24, '04
From Moscow, russia
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Mar 9, 2005 - 3:41 AM)
Turbo timers arnt necessary depending upon which oil you use, as mentioned they are designed to allow the turbo to cool, to stop it from baking the oil which causes "sludge" which can block up the turbo oilways. This happens with the good old Dino oil but not with the fully synthetic stuff.
[right][snapback]255029[/snapback][/right]

well again as i'm using synthetic stuff............

but if i ever do drive her hard, i'll give her sometime to cool smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Take care now !!
post Mar 9, 2005 - 8:17 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Turbos get extremely hot just by normal driving. And its true about the better oils nowadays, but still not a bad thing to have.

--------------------
post Mar 9, 2005 - 8:37 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

i dont have one on my car and my clip never had one, so that means the TT was never in use for the 60,000 miles of its life and its still going strong.

i just try not to run the car hard right before i know im going to park it for an extended period of time.... ill get an alarm with a TT at some point tho.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Mar 9, 2005 - 11:48 AM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
Currently Offline

they're only $100-200 now, what cha waitin for :-P

--------------------
post Mar 9, 2005 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

100? Oof you can get an Apexi for $80

--------------------
post Mar 9, 2005 - 5:22 PM
+Quote Post
boosted_K2

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 30, '02
From Michigan
Currently Offline

Mister toyota did put a factory turbo timer on JDM MR2s in 96-98 with a 1 minute or 5 minute or off toggle switch wink.gif just a tid-bit of information

--------------------
IPB Image
Believer, you'll leave her, in leaving them all
No but I don't buy it
Like anything you do, as anyone you are
Cause I'm...
Ten Speed, of God's Blood & Burial
post Mar 9, 2005 - 5:31 PM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
Currently Offline

but an $80 TT can't deter thieves and unlock yuour doors at the push of a button

--------------------
post Mar 10, 2005 - 3:12 PM
+Quote Post
mark_426

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 30, '05
From Greencastle, PA
Currently Offline

I was looking at the Cliffords with the TT's for my car.. RSX3.5

But, I was told (not sure how true) that its bad to run strict synthetic, and a blend will seal better, but also not gunk up as non-synthetic will.

--------------------
If anyone needs interior stuff, etc, I'm parting whats left of my celi out. Just ask.
post Mar 10, 2005 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
maikl

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '03
From cyprus
Currently Offline

my car is n/a and i have one! i belive it's very importand to let your car coulldown for atleast a minuite. it's too brutal to turn your car off the minuite you stop especialy when your hard-drive it!!!! you should give your car some time to let your oils water temp turbo etc to coolldown! for me the timer is an necessary item, that's my idea about them....

--------------------
user posted image
post Mar 12, 2005 - 7:27 PM
+Quote Post
Chrobis

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '03
From San Jose, CA, USA
Currently Offline

Umm if you havnt noticed your car is cooling down after spirited driving unless your scenario is as follows: Your speeding down the freeway downshifting, weaving through traffic. You fly down the offramp to find the light green, pulling the parking brake to slide around the turn, to then accelerate fully after realesing it. You then see your parking spot on the oposite side of the road and pull the e-brake once again doing a nice 180 into the spot, and in mid spin you shut off the engine.

If you havnt noticed, your letting the car cool down already, when your putting through a parking lot looking for a spot, when your paralel parking, when you slow down for the bump into the driveway, etc. If it was a necesitty the car would come with it, or the manual would tell you you have to let it sit, or an idicator light or something! If your not the first owner of the car/engine and it didnt have a TT before then the damage (if there is any) as already happened.

IMHO.
post Mar 13, 2005 - 6:18 AM
+Quote Post
Insanity-74

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 9, '05
From Under the car
Currently Offline

QUOTE(maikl @ Mar 10, 2005 - 3:42 PM)
my car is n/a and i have one! i  belive it's very importand to let your car coulldown for atleast a minuite. it's too brutal to turn your car off the minuite you stop  especialy when your hard-drive it!!!! you should give your car some time to let your oils water temp turbo etc to coolldown! for me the timer is an  necessary item, that's my idea about them....
[right][snapback]255707[/snapback][/right]

Its even more brutal to take your car for a hard drive then let it sit getting hotter.
Having a turbo timer on a N/A car is worse than a total waste of time and is probably doing more harm than good. Having a car stationary is not going to let anything cool down on a N/A car, its just gonna get hotter and hotter without the cooling airflow moving over the radiator, oil cooler etc. Turbo timers do nothing to let the engine cool down, or it would be called an engine timer. thier purpose is to let the turbo cool after a hard drive, the reasons are explained above.
post Mar 13, 2005 - 9:04 AM
+Quote Post
maikl

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '03
From cyprus
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Mar 13, 2005 - 4:18 AM)
my car is n/a and i have one! i  belive it's very importand to let your car coulldown for atleast a minuite. it's too brutal to turn your car off the minuite you stop  especialy when your hard-drive it!!!! you should give your car some time to let your oils water temp turbo etc to coolldown! for me the timer is an  necessary item, that's my idea about them....

Its even more brutal to take your car for a hard drive then let it sit getting hotter.
Having a turbo timer on a N/A car is worse than a total waste of time and is probably doing more harm than good. Having a car stationary is not going to let anything cool down on a N/A car, its just gonna get hotter and hotter without the cooling airflow moving over the radiator, oil cooler etc. Turbo timers do nothing to let the engine cool down, or it would be called an engine timer. thier purpose is to let the turbo cool after a hard drive, the reasons are explained above.
[right][snapback]256676[/snapback][/right]

this is your oppinions and those are mine...... and the timer propbably doing more harm than good???????????? rolleyes.gif get real!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
user posted image
post Mar 13, 2005 - 9:58 AM
+Quote Post
Insanity-74

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 9, '05
From Under the car
Currently Offline

QUOTE(maikl @ Mar 13, 2005 - 9:04 AM)
QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Mar 13, 2005 - 4:18 AM)

[right][snapback]256676[/snapback][/right]

this is your oppinions and those are mine...... and the timer propbably doing more harm than good???????????? rolleyes.gif get real!!!!!!!!!!
[right][snapback]256682[/snapback][/right]

On a N/A car Yes, definately, But fair enough, each to thier own I guess.

This post has been edited by Insanity-74: Mar 13, 2005 - 3:20 PM
post Mar 13, 2005 - 2:36 PM
+Quote Post
d3monc3lica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 19, '04
From Maine
Currently Offline

TT on a Turbo Car = Good
TT on N/A = Bad

Hense why they never called it a N/A Timer.

Your just pre-heating the oven bro.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:58 PM