> salvage title 220k now what, close thread
post Jun 24, 2012 - 11:41 PM
+Quote Post
EL_Jive_Turkey

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 21, '12
From Cali
Currently Offline

I have a 1.8 limited edition 97 st celica the car has 220k on her and still runs great the body is still pretty straight and the interior is an 8 outta 10 i have six inch touch screen dash hands free blue tooth installed tweeters and all new door speakers powered by six hundred watt amp and a 13.5 JL W7 powered by 1000/1v2 jl amp. so six years ago a rearended someome so now the car has salvage title, should i do engine swap and exhaust or just move on to something new? See another thing is that this 7a engine has only seen synthetic oil its whole life. in the past two years the following has been replaced ball joints, right engine mount left wheel hub assemby. Shocks and struts brakes belts and couple pulleys o yeah and one cv joint. oil changed every 3k religously. so basically should i have motor professionaly rebuilt, or try to swap in new motor like a beams.

This post has been edited by EL_Jive_Turkey: Jul 10, 2012 - 10:49 AM
post Jun 25, 2012 - 11:30 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

what do you want to do? the 7A-FE is a fine engine for a daily driver and gets fairly good mileage. is the engine burning oil? is it smoking? is it knocking? i have rebuilt 2 ST engines and documented the first build. look in the stickies in the engine section. where in CA are you?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jun 26, 2012 - 12:02 AM
+Quote Post
SupraKid

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From The Best Coast
Currently Offline

Fairly good mpg? The st gets crazy good mpg for the price.
post Jun 26, 2012 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
EL_Jive_Turkey

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 21, '12
From Cali
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Jun 25, 2012 - 11:30 PM) *
what do you want to do? the 7A-FE is a fine engine for a daily driver and gets fairly good mileage. is the engine burning oil? is it smoking? is it knocking? i have rebuilt 2 ST engines and documented the first build. look in the stickies in the engine section. where in CA are you?

The only thing wrong with the engine is that it has a very very small oil leak nothing to even caus a drip. other that she drives great no problems no knocking or smoking at all like i said she has 220k. i guess I'm asking is it worth it to rebuild engine cause if i go that route i wanna add headers an exhaust then she would be perfect daily driver. I'm in nor cal up in redding
post Jun 26, 2012 - 11:33 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

there is only 1 HEADER smile.gif and i dont know of any aftermarket header for the 7A-FE that does any good. an intake will give some slight gains and a better exhaust will also help. both will give the engine a good sound. The very best mod for the 7A-FE is advancing your timing to about 15 degrees BTDC but you need to run 91 gas.

IMO if the car is running as good as it is, i would just leave it alone and do the mods. are you due for a timing belt?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jun 26, 2012 - 4:06 PM
+Quote Post
EL_Jive_Turkey

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 21, '12
From Cali
Currently Offline

no i changed the timing belt like 20k ago so no need to change it again. So a new header won't make any difference? I'm not looking to make her fast or anything i just wanted to add some pep. Do you think having the engine rebuilt is worth it since it has salvage title? it was professionally fixed the car looks and runs great im just not sure if its worth investing money into it. im open to ideas i really do love this car.
post Jun 26, 2012 - 4:55 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

If you love the car its worth doing whatever you want to
but if you sell it youll probably get more money parting it out than whole because of the title

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jun 27, 2012 - 12:28 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

its really up to you man, personally i wouldnt touch the engine. its not burning oil and running strong. if its passing SMOG then id just leave it alone. do the intake and exhaust and crank up the timing. thats the most you will get out of it unless you boost it.

if you are hell bent on the rebuild, i can do it for you. alot cheaper than any other shop, but you are a little far.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jun 27, 2012 - 12:47 PM
+Quote Post
EL_Jive_Turkey

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 21, '12
From Cali
Currently Offline

Well lets off by saying thanx for the input. so smaay i was reading your old post are you still selling the turbo kit for the 7a? And in my case wouldn't it be better to rebuild engine before getting it boosted since she has 220k on her? If i were to have you do complete rebuild and install turbo kit what kind of ball park figure are we looking at?

Well lets off by saying thanx for the input. so smaay i was reading your old post are you still selling the turbo kit for the 7a? And in my case wouldn't it be better to rebuild engine before getting it boosted since she has 220k on her? If i were to have you do complete rebuild and install turbo kit what kind of ball park figure are we looking at?
post Jun 27, 2012 - 3:02 PM
+Quote Post
SupraKid

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From The Best Coast
Currently Offline

Boosting a 7a is stupid. Plain and simple.
post Jun 27, 2012 - 5:04 PM
+Quote Post
dliverance

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 15, '08
From Hollywood
Currently Offline

I say post some take it easy on your motor. Drive it easy, build a motor on the side or drop in a cheap 4age for now. 220k really isn't that bad. I just picked up my 6gc with 209k. And post some pics now!
post Jun 28, 2012 - 2:46 PM
+Quote Post
EL_Jive_Turkey

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 21, '12
From Cali
Currently Offline

so if i really wanted to get crazy and decided that i wanted to have the a 3rd gen 3sgte installed along with the 153. What price range am i looking at? the motor alone cost around 3,500 right? Also for smaay have you ever done the 3sgte and 153 swap before? How hard is it to make it awd?
post Jun 28, 2012 - 3:09 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

if i were you.....i would NOT do a 3S-GTE swap. i would do a V6 swap. it will cost you half what the 3S-GTE swap will cost. Im in the middle of mine now and it should be running by the end of July. you are welcome to check it out if you like.

If i were to pull your engine, tear it down, rebuild it, and then put it back in, my labor will be about 1500. then there is the parts. full gasket kit is about 250 i think, the ring set is about 95, water pump is about 60. i dont know the status of your clutch so that might be another cost. i cant think of much else, but might want to just budget in 2000 total.

if you went the V6 route and found a 1MZ and E153 from a Camry or Solara, you can get both of those for about 1000 to 1200 if you search good. my labor to swap the engines will be about 700-800. figure 400 if you send your wiring to MR2077 (forget his actual SN) so you are in the 2300-2400 range there.

you are going to spend 2300-2500 for just the 3S-GTE by itself, that doesnt include anything to get it installed.

and there is NOTHING wrong with boosting a 7A-FE. once you get a good tune it would be a really fun car to drive. Erynn might still have her turbo kit that i bet you can get really cheap. I rushed to get her car to the summer meet 2 years ago and the tune wasnt very good and it hurt her engine, just cant make that mistake again.

some food for thought.....

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jun 29, 2012 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
EL_Jive_Turkey

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 21, '12
From Cali
Currently Offline

I hear you on the cost amount for 3s-gte. it does sound like it could get real spendy fast, is there any other reasons why you say don't go the 3s route. i don't know too much about the 1mz so i did a little research i found that one of the perks for 1mz is the it can run lower octance, weighs less and there is no lag due to not having turbo, which i would like to have so thats kind of a let down. What else does the 1mz bring to the table? All these ideas can drive a man crazy.
post Jun 29, 2012 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

I can tell you first hand the 1mz feels very good under power an pulls harder than most other imports ive been in
( including a wrx sti an a neon srt)
But on a normal basis it drives no different than my stock celica gt

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:29 PM