> DIY Auto Transmission fluid change for 5sfe, help me on this
post May 19, 2006 - 10:59 PM
+Quote Post
DeW_H0e_GT

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 9, '05
From Oakland, Cali
Currently Offline

thought i start somethin here since i cant find anything on this subject....sorry i dont have pictures i was doing this in a hurry.....

Tools needed:

10mm hex socket bit(6 ends)...ones that look like these

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product...s/909121_lg.gif

socket wrench, socket-screwdriver (the ones that looks lieka screwdriver with a adapter in the end)
like this:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002GF6...SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg.

10mm socket, filter & gasket kit (make sure tehres 15 holes...), 2-3 qts atf, jack stands, jack, oil container

Time: about 45+ minutes

Before you do anything, make sure u jus drive yoru car and its warm..because drainin warm liquid can help stir up debris therefore letting all the bad stuff out... biggrin.gif

1. Jack up car and put it on stands (just to be safe)
2. Unbolt the drain bolt using teh 10mm HEX bit (located on the tranny pan...closest to the exhuast manifold)
3. Drain all old fluid into a oil container..takes about 10-15 minutes (preferably one from yrou local auto parts store..so u can sump out old fluis later)
4. Now unbolt ALL 15 10mm bolts on the tranny pan...what i did was loosen the bolts then use a socket screwdriver to take all teh bolts out....its much easier this way....tehres going to be some residual fluids leaking out....make sure u have somethin under it to catch teh pan..its a lil heavy seeing you'll be under the car (assumin you're usin jacks n stands)
5.Now its the time for the filter...unclamp one of the hoses on filter (hard to explain but its really small and since you're this far you'll get what i mean.....then unbolt the 3 10mm long bolts holding teh filter.....
6.Now is a good time to clean up your tranny pan if u have a LOT of time.....if not, scrap all the old gaskets off..make sure its all clean of old gasket material...now install your gasket..u can opt to use gasket sealer....the filter n gasket kit has bolt holes small enough to hold teh bolts when i install the tranny pan back..i put all teh 10mm bolts in place with teh gasket and getting ready to mount it on the tranny...
7.Install the filter....reconnect teh little hose first then install all 3 10mm long bolts back in place...
8.Now mount your tranny pan with the new gasket...bolt all the 10mm bolts back in place..make sure everythings in order...Now....reinstall the drain bolt with your 10mm hex socket bit.....now teh hard parts done....
9.Time for the fluid...ive opted for Valvoline Maxlife Dexron III....you could also use atf conditioners .....car takes about 1.7qts (according to advance's data) ....pour the fluid on the fill hose (where u check your tranny fluid)....once u fill it to about 2 qts.....start your engine..let it run for a couple of minutes, then with your parking brakes on....shift to all gears......now, go to your engine bay and check the fluid level...if its gotten lower..fill it some more.....i ended up usin 2.5qts.....and you're all done....!!!! except cleaing up and unjackin the car.....

if i left out anything plz lemme kno....

This post has been edited by DeW_H0e_GT: May 20, 2006 - 7:06 AM

--------------------

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
post May 20, 2006 - 7:10 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

always check your auto tranny fluid level with the car at normal operating temp.
good post man, added to the stickys! =)

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jan 7, 2007 - 11:35 AM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

Auto transmissions have a separate drain and fill hole for the differential.
The drain is in an obvious place on the bottom of the differential. The fill hole is on the back side of the differential facing the rear of the car. It is next to the motor mount on the drivers side.
If you change your axles you will need to at least top off the fluid in your differential. I recommend you go ahead and drain and refill it while you're at it.
You can use the same Dexron II to fill your differential. Just keep adding it until it starts to flow out of the fill hole.
A suction gun is really helpful in a cramped situation like this and can be found at you local auto parts stores for about $10.

This post has been edited by WannabeGT4: Jan 7, 2007 - 11:35 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Project ST204.5 99.88946% complete...
post Jul 21, 2007 - 2:09 AM
+Quote Post
sr5punk

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 11, '07
From sacramento, ca
Currently Offline

where is the auto tranny dipstick located at? i cant find it. i was told when i got my tires done that the fluid was low and dirty. i just had it changed though by a friend. rolleyes.gif
post Jul 21, 2007 - 3:11 AM
+Quote Post
DeW_H0e_GT

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 9, '05
From Oakland, Cali
Currently Offline

rolleyes.gif

it should be where your transmission would be..lols....

it should be a colored stick, located on the right side of teh engine bay if your looking from in front of teh car....in this picture, it should be right above the radiator cap....hope it helps

IPB Image

--------------------
post Jul 23, 2007 - 1:08 PM
+Quote Post
sr5punk

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 11, '07
From sacramento, ca
Currently Offline

thanks. sorry for the obscenely dumb question. i am completely new to these cars. ive been driving an 83 cressida for the past few years and have gotten used to the looks under that hood. thanks again
post Jul 23, 2007 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
alltracman78

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 9, '06
From Ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE(sr5punk @ Jul 21, 2007 - 2:09 AM) [snapback]580778[/snapback]

where is the auto tranny dipstick located at? i cant find it. i was told when i got my tires done that the fluid was low and dirty. i just had it changed though by a friend. rolleyes.gif

That's probably because when you just drain the fluid from the pan you're only changing JUST over half of the fluid.
ALL the fluid in the torque converter stays. It won't get changed this way.
So all you [or your friend] did was mix a couple of quarts of clean fluid with a couple of dirty quarts.
Which means the fluid is still dirty. wink.gif
And there's a good chance your friend didn't top it off right.
Unless you measure how much fluid you drain it's REALLY hard to get the right amount back in.
Because the dipstick tube is also the fill tube it makes checking it after you put some in a PITA.

Remember, they are the paid professionals [well, sometimes anyways] and you are the one with the questions.....
While there are times when a shop will try to rip you off, there's alot more times when you are the one making the dumb decision, not the shop lying to you.

IMO don't bother draining and filling the trans, get a flush.
This will rinse out the WHOLE trans with clean fluid, and then replace ALL the fluid with clean fluid.
And while cleaners are good sometimes, on higher mileage trans it's not always the best idea.

For my truck I just use Dextron III, no cleaners.

In regards to the trans filter, it doesn't need to be changed.
All it is is a metal mesh screen.
It can be cleaned out with brake cleaner and reused.

--------------------

IPB Image
post Sep 13, 2008 - 8:30 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

Where could possible shorts be for the solenoid, are they external wires or something?

This post has been edited by trdproven: Sep 13, 2008 - 8:30 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Sep 13, 2008 - 9:16 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Sep 13, 2008 - 8:30 PM) *
Where could possible shorts be for the solenoid, are they external wires or something?

There are three solenoid plugs and a Park/Neutral safety switch at the front of the transmission where the selector cable is attached. What is the exact problem you are having that is leading you to believe it is a solenoid wire shorting?

--------------------
IPB Image
Project ST204.5 99.88946% complete...
post Sep 14, 2008 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

I got a 63 code from the overdrive light. This is the thread I started which came to my conclusion.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61805

This post has been edited by trdproven: Sep 14, 2008 - 8:15 AM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Sep 14, 2008 - 9:45 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

the solenoid itself is inside the trans, and there are also wires inside the trans. its not unlikely that the solenoid itself has a short within it. however you should ohm out from the pcm, from the trans harness, at the trans connector, and then finally if need be at the solenoid itself.

as for fluid changes i really recommend Redline Synthetic ATF and about 1 ounce of Gunk seal swell for higher mile auto transmissions.

--------------------
post Sep 14, 2008 - 7:41 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

Would it be recommended to change ATF first and see if it goes away?

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Sep 14, 2008 - 9:21 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

you can try, but i doubt the problem will stay away with a fluid change.

--------------------
post Sep 15, 2008 - 6:05 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

There could be a possibility the solenoid is being blocked, as to what I read, so maybe changing fluid would hopefully help. I do not know how the problem diappeared 1.5 years before and now its back.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:32 PM