6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rally Gt-Four Appareance, Pg. 5 for latest pics. Converting a Celica GT to a GT-Four Rally
post Aug 6, 2012 - 2:01 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Looks fantastic! Totally jelly. redface.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 17, 2012 - 2:50 AM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
From Los Angeles, California
Currently Offline

I'm selling a few items from the front end I got. Follow this link.

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

post Aug 17, 2012 - 12:03 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

looks just like mine

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 22, 2012 - 12:51 PM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Aug 17, 2012 - 1:03 PM) *
looks just like mine

Yes indeed they are very similar smile.gif once I paint it, it will fully look like yours.

--------------------

post Aug 22, 2012 - 1:04 PM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

Just a progress on what I did with the car mechanically and maybe some advise. I changed the radiator because I was noticing erratic changes in the engine temperature. I had previously changed the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump, but was still experiencing the same proble. Anyway, this change of thermostat two weeks ago improved things considerably as I no longer see the temperature gauge go up and down after driving for about 20 minutes. Nevertheless, after the change, in fact on the day of the change of radiator, at night I noticed that the gauge increased to about 70% after 15 min of street driving at night. Ever since, it has only happened about twice more all at night and never during the hot California weather we've been having. I've no idea what this could be due to but it happens. I know that the fans turn on, but I'm not sure if they do it in due time; in any case, that wouldn't explain why it only happens at night. Any input on this?

Also, when I took the car to the dealership for a minor service, they noticed that there was a lot of oil in the undercarriage and they thought that the problem might be due to a defective valve cover gasket. I told my mechanic if he could replace it, but he recommended instead to lift the head and change that gasket instead of just the valve cover gasket, asking this whole thing much more expensive. Is he trying to just make mo money off me or do you guys think he has a pint in wanting to do this? The car runs great and is very quiet with a nice idle. If it weren't for the mild overheating problem, I would say it's perfect. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

--------------------

post Aug 22, 2012 - 1:16 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If the head gasket was bad you'd have water in your oil. As far as the temperature issue, have you checked your temperature sensor/sender?

Also, change the valve cover gasket yourself. Very easy to do, and is about $10 for the gasket from a parts house.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 22, 2012 - 1:53 PM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Aug 22, 2012 - 1:16 PM) *
If the head gasket was bad you'd have water in your oil. As far as the temperature issue, have you checked your temperature sensor/sender?

Also, change the valve cover gasket yourself. Very easy to do, and is about $10 for the gasket from a parts house.

I was going to replace both sensors, but decided against it because I was going to replace the radiator, thinking that that was the problem, but you are right, I will replace them both just in case. As for the cover gasket, could you refer me to a place where I could find instructions, or is it that easy? Will there be oil beneath the cover? Is this info in the repair manual so that I can just follow these instructions? I mean, I've never done anything meanical to a car but I figure if I could replace the front in the car, I can replace a valve cover gasket. I just don't want surprises lol.

--------------------

post Aug 22, 2012 - 2:08 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Should be able to find a test for the sensors, to determine if they're the problem or it's something else. The valve cover gasket is easy. Not sure about the 5S-FE, but the 7A-FE has 4 bolts, then 2 that hold a wiring harness down. There will be oil beneath the cover. I'm sure there's info on here, or somewhere else online about it. It's a fairly straight forward procedure though. May want to go ahead and replace the spark plug seals while you're at it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 22, 2012 - 2:34 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

It's super easy to do an only took me about 10 minutes to do
An if you let the celica set overnight then do it oil won't be that big a deal since most will be settled down in the pan
There's 4 big nuts under the spark plug wire boots an 1 small bolt holding the harness down to I do beleave
Grab a new Pcv valve too cuz they normally break when taking off the valve cover

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Aug 22, 2012 - 2:43 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

Sound advice here. Your mechanic is definitely trying to take you for a whole lot more money, no doubt. Your oil and coolant would both be contaminated if you had a head gasket issue.

The valve cover gasket is pretty easy. The four nuts that hold the cover on are like 30 or 31 mm, then the one 10 mm nut. The cover might take some prying, but it will come free. You'll just need a new gasket and some RTV, and there are plenty of how-to's online.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 22, 2012 - 10:10 PM
+Quote Post
Special_Edy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 29, '11
From Haltom City, Texas
Currently Offline

Heres a video that may help you. The valve cover gasket is just pressed into the valve cover as soon as you get the cover off.

Time-
30min to an hour

You need a-
10mm socket or wrench
30mm socket from autozone( rent it)
1/2 drive ratchet for 30mm socket

Heres the how to video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFhHncL8l8
post Aug 23, 2012 - 12:48 AM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Aug 22, 2012 - 11:10 PM) *
Heres a video that may help you. The valve cover gasket is just pressed into the valve cover as soon as you get the cover off.

Time-
30min to an hour

You need a-
10mm socket or wrench
30mm socket from autozone( rent it)
1/2 drive ratchet for 30mm socket

Heres the how to video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFhHncL8l8

Haha, that is exactly the video I watched and decided to use. I was wondering if you were a member since I noticed it was a Celica. Anyway, I just have a question, do I have to tighten those 30mm nuts at a certain torque? You talked about torque, but did not specified it or said if it was required. I looked at the stickies and looked at a torque chart, but nothing is specified for a 2.2 L engine for tose nuts. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but wanted to know if I should tighten it up as much as I want.

Thanks.

--------------------

post Aug 23, 2012 - 9:59 AM
+Quote Post
Special_Edy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 29, '11
From Haltom City, Texas
Currently Offline

Off the top of my head I think it is 12 in/lbs. I just tighten mine down using only my thumb and one finger on the ratchet. Using only one finger limits your torque enough. And tighten the two inner ones first(cyl 2 and 3) and the outer cylinders second(1 and 4).
post Aug 23, 2012 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Aug 23, 2012 - 10:59 AM) *
Off the top of my head I think it is 12 in/lbs. I just tighten mine down using only my thumb and one finger on the ratchet. Using only one finger limits your torque enough. And tighten the two inner ones first(cyl 2 and 3) and the outer cylinders second(1 and 4).

Got it. I will do that. I don't have a torque wrench, so it's good it must not be special. Thanks.

--------------------

post Aug 27, 2012 - 12:05 PM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

Hi you all,

I have updates to post as this is taking shape as times goes on. Last Friday-Saturday I changed the valve cover gasket and the plug seals. As I had the valve cover out, I painted it red with high temperature paint. Also, to complete the GT-Four look and now that I had the new two spoiler hatch, I replaced the hatch and installed the raised two post GT-Four hatch on it. I then proceeded to wash the car again and well, here are the pictures.

This is how the engine looked like before painting.

Here I am wondering if the condition of the bottom gear is normal or if there is anything wrong with it.

Before prepping the cover

Is this coloring normal? I've no idea since this is the first time I look at the inside of a valve cover.

Painted cover and drying.

Finished work. I really liked the way it turned out.

The cover in place.

Before removing the hatch.

After removal of the hatch. It looks wired.

The way it now looks. It really is taking shape.

It seems that all it needs now is paint, the decals, and a rear hatch visor I plan to buy. For the paint I plan to leave the mirrors, the things used to open the doors, the raiser blocks, and the license plate plate on the back in matte black and the rest of the car in the original O40 white. Then get the car ready for the decals. What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions for the Castrol GT-Four model?

Input is appreciated.

Next stop: Paint!!!!!

--------------------

post Aug 27, 2012 - 12:21 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

yes the discoloring is normal. and the other gear is supposed to be split like that. that helps reduce noise.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 27, 2012 - 6:41 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I told mine the same thing when I had my valve cover gasket replaced. Every 5s in the world has either replaced one or needs one replaced because it leaks. I told him "the valve cover gasket needs replaced while you are in there fixing that soft-plug" him "well could be the head gasket too, i haven't been under there to look" Me-"no no, head is fine, just replace the valve cover gasket and we'll be good" him "you sure? 190k miles can do a lot fo things to a car" Me - "every 5s in any camry or celica has leaked a valve cover gasket. My coolant looks fine, that's definitely all I want you to do."

Like pulling teeth. If I were you, I'd even question taking it back to that mechanic for anything whatsoever.... any mechanic who can't be straight up with you doesn't deserve your business...... in my guys defense they changed the valve cover gasket and the soft-plug parts and labor were 185$.... he's cheap, real cheap, and I think he just wanted to make sure the problem was fixed.... that being said, NICE WORK there.... keep it up!

--------------------
post Aug 27, 2012 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Aug 27, 2012 - 6:41 PM) *
I told mine the same thing when I had my valve cover gasket replaced. Every 5s in the world has either replaced one or needs one replaced because it leaks. I told him "the valve cover gasket needs replaced while you are in there fixing that soft-plug" him "well could be the head gasket too, i haven't been under there to look" Me-"no no, head is fine, just replace the valve cover gasket and we'll be good" him "you sure? 190k miles can do a lot fo things to a car" Me - "every 5s in any camry or celica has leaked a valve cover gasket. My coolant looks fine, that's definitely all I want you to do."

Like pulling teeth. If I were you, I'd even question taking it back to that mechanic for anything whatsoever.... any mechanic who can't be straight up with you doesn't deserve your business...... in my guys defense they changed the valve cover gasket and the soft-plug parts and labor were 185$.... he's cheap, real cheap, and I think he just wanted to make sure the problem was fixed.... that being said, NICE WORK there.... keep it up!

Hey thanks!!! I mean, he wanted me to do that because he knows that the car overheats at times. When I am on the freeway going 70 to 80 mph for like 10 min straight, the car almost always heats up to like 75%. If i get off the freeway, then it drops to normal after a little while. If I go on the freeway at around 60 mph for 30 min, at few times it heats up again to about 75%. Now, if I do normal street driving, it almost never goes up, but it has in the past. I've noticed that when it goes up on street driving it mostly does it when the car is waiting for a green light, then when the car moves, it goes down to normal. He has already changed the radiator, the timing belt, the thermostat, the water pump, and I have replaced the valve cover gasket and the two wire temperature sensor. I think that he wanted to change the head gasket to check if he finds a problem there because he does not know what the source of the problem is. I think so because when I told him that I was thinking in removing the engine so that the engine bay be painted as well during the paint job, he said that it would be great because that way he could also disassemble the whole engine and change the pistons and have the engine machined and do other things to the car, it seemed to me that he wanted to do an engine overhaul. Now I don't think he just wanted to do that to get my money, but to really fix the problem, and since he does not know, well, he just wants to do that and fix the problem in the process. Nevertheless, I really don't know what the problem is with the car because it does heat up at times and it worries me.

--------------------

post Aug 28, 2012 - 6:36 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

^^ Weird... You said you've replaced the radiator? Fans functioning properly? New water pump and thermostat... That could very well be the issue. Where did the thermostat come from? I bought a brand new thermostat last summer that never opened up. New parts aren't always perfect, so it might be worth pulling your thermostat and doing the boil test to see if it opens all the way.

There's no sense at all in giving $1,000 to have the head gasket replaced when it's not leaking, only to have your car overheat next week and ruin the new gasket.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 7, 2012 - 5:23 AM
+Quote Post
nics

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 15, '08
From Royal Oak, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JohanFer @ Aug 5, 2012 - 10:50 PM) *
Well, just as I promised here are the pictures. Because I don't want to clog this post with just lots of crazy pictures that might be good for nothing, I've included only a few and then set up a gallery on my website. I hope you find it helpful and/or entertaining. I am open to answer any questions you might have if any.

Here are some pictures:

If you want to see the full gallery, go to:

GT-Four Front End Conversion Picture Journal

Was the gt-4 fogs plug and play from the stock foglight connector?

--------------------
God made man....
Everything else...
Made in China

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 9:06 AM