> The 6GC Nerds Thread, For anyone that considers themselves a 'nerd'
post Dec 24, 2013 - 6:46 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Soooo, I am not sure if we have one here or not, I did a search and nothing came up, so I decided to make this thread....
Not sure how well it will go, but I thought maybe we can get everyone that considers themselves a 'nerd' to post why they believe that? Maybe some How-to's and such wink.gif
There should be no bias here, you may post anything from you love playing Saxophone, Love technology to model building.
I will start, basically I am a Tech-Nerd, I love technology... I work in an Online PC store, I build and test computers whenever I can... I also love Aviation and aircraft, I have a model plane collection of around 120+ models, I also have model cars and yeah wink.gif

So here we go, the first How-To video, How to install an SSD into a PS3:
Anyway, lately I have been
My PS3 Story:
Well, over the past three days my PS3 has been unusable.
I will begin my story, with the sudden and dramatic speed decrease in my Playstaion. Basically, to load the console, took ten minutes for the XMB to show on screen, and then it would take a minute or more for EVERY movement.
Then, GTAV wouldn't load, took ten minutes to get the starting siren sequence, and rockstar logo and then it went into an infinite 'Loading Story Mode'. All the while the HDD LED was 100% on.
And finally, the PSN would no longer connect, it connected to Internet fine but PSN failed. I jumped onto PlayStation Aus and sure enough a new update was available which fixed "stability issues" so downloaded that instantly....
My troubles really began now, the download got to 99% then took 40minutes to complete the last 1%. Then installation got to 99% before the console crashed and shut off... Upon restarting, the infinite 99% brick started.... (You CANNOT access the safe mode)
Fixed the issue with a workaround of installing my GFs spare laptop HDD and then swapping it out for the original HDD...
To my surprise, the PS3 was still as slow as ever and GTAV still didn't load.... So, I booted into safe mode and did all the non-destructive restores I could... All to no avail.
I decided to backup my and my GFs saves onto a spare External HDD I had. After waiting 5 hours for it to copy 6 measly GB, I formatted the HDD and started again.... Tried to load the backup and it took 40minutes per 1%.... I was sick of its s**t and pulled the plug.
Then it hit me, I had a spare 120GB SSD laying around upstairs so here is a quick guide to installing and configuring an SSD in your PS3:

BEFORE YOU START THIS:
If you have CRITICAL save games, then backup your HDD save files by going to the "Backup Utility" in the XMB menu. You will have to use a PC to format an external/portable HDD with the FAT32 Filesystem, the PS3 ONLY reads the FAT32 system. NOT NTFS.

First Off, What will you will need?:
- Your PS3 Console, mine is a 320GB 'Slim'

- A USB stick configured with the latest PS3 firmware.
If you do not know how to do this, it is very simple, on windows, go to the Australian PS website, and download the latest firmware to the desktop.
Plug in your USB, and make a new folder called "PS3" then create a folder called "UPDATE"
These folders MUST be in upper case.
Then copy the downloaded .pup into the UPDATE folder.
Your USB is now ready.

- The Solid State Drive (Mine is a 120GB Samsung 840)
You do NOT need a state-of-the-art SSD, the PS3 doesn't have Sata3 speeds and also has no TRIM function, so even a 2 year old SSD would be fine

- You will also need a small screwdriver set, I used a Clock/Jewelers Set. You literally only need 1 screwdriver...

Now we get to business.
Step 1: Flip the PS3 console over and remove the plastic covering the first screw:

Slide the Plastic front panel down the PS3 to reveal the HDD cage:

Now, remove the HDD cage by unscrewing the four screws and then install it on the SSD in the correct way:

Step 1 complete....

Step 2: Configuring the new SSD:
Plug your pre-configured USB stick into the PS3 and make sure your controller is connected via a cable.

Turn the PS3 on, and be greeted by this ominous message:

Press the start and select button simultaneously.

The USB will be checked and you will be greeted with another ominous message;

Press and Hold the START and SELECT button for at least 5 seconds.

The SSD will be formatted, a hell of a lot quicker than the old HDD:

Then after the console restarts, the new Firmware will be installed, This took me ages as my USB is USB1.0 standard [frown.gif]

Your PS3 is now SSD powered wink.gif

If you are like me and like the best and fastest in everything, then this is a great update...
My PS3 is now going great, the console loads to the XMB menu in 5 seconds, The XMB menu loads everything instantly, moves with 0 lag, Loads GTAV from disk insert to playing in 2 minutes and now no longer has to buffer and render the games while you are driving/flying around the city fast.

So, there is the first "nerd" how-to wink.gif What have you guys got to share and broaden everyone knowledge smile.gif

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Dec 28, 2013 - 2:24 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

Nice.

Don't have anything of my own but last year I did something I've wanted to since I was probably 10 and that's build my own PC.

We've relied on my laptop for a while now but it's about 3 years old and just a base i3 with nothing special going for it.
My wife (it was her school computer for the last 2 years) would get annoyed at how slow it runs and how it takes forever to boot etc. Now that I have the PC it almost enrages her how slow the laptop is.

Rig:
24" Asus monitor
Rosewil Thor II Case
Rosewil 800W PSU
Asus P9X79LE Motherboard
i7 3930k hex-core processor
H100i 240mm Liquid cooling
MSI Nvidia GTX670 (2gb) graphics card
16gb Corsair Vengence 1600 ram (will probably up to 32 or 64 next year)
120gb Corsair SSD
2TB Hitachi HDD

Primarily used for gaming, play a lot of Starcraft 2, Arma 3 and Race Room Racing Experience.

I'll probably get a second 670 GPU next year as well since they'll probably be around $150 by then.

Not exactly a how-to like your excellent write up (which I will share with my friend since he has a PS), but I just wanted to share my first PC build. Build your own and buy on black friday / cyber monday and you can't go wrong.
post Dec 28, 2013 - 4:39 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
From Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cardshark525 @ Dec 28, 2013 - 1:24 PM) *
Nice.

Don't have anything of my own but last year I did something I've wanted to since I was probably 10 and that's build my own PC.

We've relied on my laptop for a while now but it's about 3 years old and just a base i3 with nothing special going for it.
My wife (it was her school computer for the last 2 years) would get annoyed at how slow it runs and how it takes forever to boot etc. Now that I have the PC it almost enrages her how slow the laptop is.

Rig:
24" Asus monitor
Rosewil Thor II Case
Rosewil 800W PSU
Asus P9X79LE Motherboard
i7 3930k hex-core processor
H100i 240mm Liquid cooling
MSI Nvidia GTX670 (2gb) graphics card
16gb Corsair Vengence 1600 ram (will probably up to 32 or 64 next year)
120gb Corsair SSD
2TB Hitachi HDD

Primarily used for gaming, play a lot of Starcraft 2, Arma 3 and Race Room Racing Experience.

I'll probably get a second 670 GPU next year as well since they'll probably be around $150 by then.

Not exactly a how-to like your excellent write up (which I will share with my friend since he has a PS), but I just wanted to share my first PC build. Build your own and buy on black friday / cyber monday and you can't go wrong.

Nice! Yeah I built my own around 3 or 4 years ago and I think it's about time to start upgrading some things.
64 gigs of ram?? Holy I still only have 4...lol

--------------------
2007 Impreza 2.5i - Daily
1994 Camry - Sold
1994 Celica - Sold :(

Click here to see my progress thread!
post Dec 29, 2013 - 11:33 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

I'm a console gamer... Grew up on the PC with Quake, Unreal and Tribes, but the controller is my friend and I got sick of having to update my PC all the time because it wasn't fast enough to run anything at high graphics. I stopped playing PC games all together when my old PC got a virus and I became too lazy to reformat and re-do everything since I didn't have a ghost file saved. New PC is strictly for PC stuff and some media.

PC Specs:

3.2 Ghz intel E6300
8gb ram
1 terabyte hdd
Nvidia Graphics card (can't remember the power)
And some ****ty power supply.

Reason I prefer a console: it has one purpose, to play games or to play media specifically made for it. I don't have to update hardware and I don't have to worry about any viruses or spyware. It also always does what I want it to.

That being said, I've owned every console to date except for the PS3, PS4 and Wii U. Sony lost me as a gamer when they released the PS3 and I realized how much more comfortable the Xbox 360 controller was and how much nicer their stable network was. I have the Xbox One now and have no regrets.

--------------------
1994 Toyota Celica GT-S 5S-FE 190k Miles. Project car
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5S-FE 170k Miles. Daily driver/beater
1999 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE 216K Miles. RIP You will be missed.

*ASE Certified General Manager
post Dec 30, 2013 - 5:05 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

hehe, My pc specs are as follows:
Desktop:
- i7 2600k @ 5.1GHz (Quad Core, 8 Threads, Hyper-threaded) with Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler and x2 Corsair SP120 fans
- AsRock MiniITX form factor Motherboard
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM (8GB X2)
- 3GB Gigabyte Radeon HD7970
- 128GB Samsung 840 Pro
- 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD
- Bitfenix Prodigy MiniITX case
- Win 8.1 Pro
- Razer Black Widow 2014 Stealth Edition Mechanical Keyboard
- Razer Deathadder 2013 Edition
- Razer Vespula Mousepad + Razer Goliathus Mousepad >.<
- 27" Full HD BenQ Gaming Monitor + 24 Full HD Acer Screen

This was taken at a LAN Party/Tafe work party that I had earlier this year, Mine is the PC on the chair wink.gif

My GPU:

Laptop:
- i7 2670QM @2.2GHz (Quad Core)
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
- 1GB dedicated GT 550M GPU + Intel Graphics 3000
- 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD
- 700GB Western Digital HDD
- Win 8.1 Pro
- 15.6" HD Screen

And console wise, I own:

+ Nintendo NES, Nintendo 64, original xbox, another Xbox 360, Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Wii.

This post has been edited by rentaspace: Dec 30, 2013 - 5:11 AM

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Dec 30, 2013 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rentaspace @ Dec 30, 2013 - 5:05 AM) *
hehe, My pc specs are as follows:
Desktop:
- i7 2600k @ 5.1GHz (Quad Core, 8 Threads, Hyper-threaded) with Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler and x2 Corsair SP120 fans
- AsRock MiniITX form factor Motherboard
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM (8GB X2)
- 3GB Gigabyte Radeon HD7970
- 128GB Samsung 840 Pro
- 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD
- Bitfenix Prodigy MiniITX case
- Win 8.1 Pro
- Razer Black Widow 2014 Stealth Edition Mechanical Keyboard
- Razer Deathadder 2013 Edition
- Razer Vespula Mousepad + Razer Goliathus Mousepad >.<
- 27" Full HD BenQ Gaming Monitor + 24 Full HD Acer Screen

This was taken at a LAN Party/Tafe work party that I had earlier this year, Mine is the PC on the chair wink.gif

My GPU:

Laptop:
- i7 2670QM @2.2GHz (Quad Core)
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
- 1GB dedicated GT 550M GPU + Intel Graphics 3000
- 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD
- 700GB Western Digital HDD
- Win 8.1 Pro
- 15.6" HD Screen

And console wise, I own:

+ Nintendo NES, Nintendo 64, original xbox, another Xbox 360, Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Wii.

Seems with a few exceptions we have a similar setup so I'm sure you're just as happy as I am with it.

I haven't overclocked my CPU yet (don't see a need so far), but that 3930k is the one thing I wasn't compromising on when building my system. Ive seen as high as 18% CPU usage and 42C with 24C ambient (I like to be in my house in shorts lol).

This post has been edited by cardshark525: Dec 30, 2013 - 11:28 AM
post Dec 30, 2013 - 11:58 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Very happy with it smile.gif

And now another one of my hobbies:
Found the 7th gen at a local hobby shop and the other was my Christmas present smile.gif

--------------------

post Dec 31, 2013 - 1:03 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

Ah yes... the ever popular 7th gen to 6th gen conversion... lol
post Jan 2, 2014 - 6:50 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cardshark525 @ Dec 31, 2013 - 1:03 PM) *
Ah yes... the ever popular 7th gen to 6th gen conversion... lol

wink.gif

--------------------

post Jan 4, 2014 - 12:39 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Nerds? Pfft.

I'm getting a busted Mark Levinson sub out of a GS430 and replacing the surround then I'm going to match it to a box and plate amp and making a home subwoofer out of it. They run them IB in the rear deck as OEM so they like BIG volume and have excellent low frequency reproduction at relatively low power levels, so I need a box/tube/etc that will let it work it's magic correctly. I may end up with it in a large tube several feet long and a big port with a pretty small amp.

--------------------
post Jan 5, 2014 - 12:43 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Got given a bunch of model planes from a long time friend I recently caught up with in Northern NSW, gonna have a bit of fun in the new year completing these biggrin.gif

--------------------

post Feb 2, 2014 - 12:31 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Traded in one of my Xbox 360 consoles, some games, my wii and all its games, plus a PS3 game and some DS and 3DS games and outright swapped them for an Xbox One.
The got a second controller, Forza 5 and COD: Ghosts.

Only got Ghosts cause I already have BF4 on PC.

Pretty happy with it so far smile.gif

--------------------

post Feb 3, 2014 - 10:28 AM
+Quote Post
RoadRage

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '13
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

I'm not huge on tech, but I do have an Xbox one smile.gif

--------------------
post Feb 3, 2014 - 11:27 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Here you go, nice nerd setup for you...

Quad Video running dual NVidia Qaudro FX 380 Cards,.
I7 Processor
8GB Ram

Debian Linux OS,. with Virtual Box running Windows 7, 8, XP, Droid etc...
post Feb 3, 2014 - 2:16 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (sandusky1977 @ Feb 3, 2014 - 11:27 AM) *

I7 Processor
8GB Ram

are you f!cking kidding me....

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Feb 3, 2014 - 2:17 PM
post Feb 4, 2014 - 1:05 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

I7 Processor
8GB Ram

That is an awesome setup!

Well, this is my setup:

Recently just got the second 27" Screen and am in the process of getting a third and an active display adapter to use it smile.gif

--------------------

post Feb 5, 2014 - 9:13 PM
+Quote Post
VavAlephVav

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 3, '13
From Missourah
Currently Offline

I say the trick to building a custom system when you are ordering it piece by piece is to Read the recommended parts list from the manufacturer of the Motherboard you choose.
for example I bought a ASUS mother board from TigerDirect.com, and If you go to the ASUS website and look up the Motherboard you want They will have a list of
tested/approved components that they are Certain will work with the Board you have chosen. Then you can be sure that there will be No issues with the
Ram/Video card/sound card/ ect. This is the way to be sure you get something stable that works properly and doesn't give you any trouble.

QUOTE (rentaspace @ Feb 4, 2014 - 1:05 AM) *

I7 Processor
8GB Ram

Well, this is my setup:

Recently just got the second 27" Screen and am in the process of getting a third and an active display adapter to use it smile.gif

but I can only FAP to one vid at a time, don't even like 3some stuff...

--------------------
Bust a Deal; Face the Wheel.
post Feb 9, 2014 - 2:45 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (VavAlephVav @ Feb 5, 2014 - 9:13 PM) *
I say the trick to building a custom system when you are ordering it piece by piece is to Read the recommended parts list from the manufacturer of the Motherboard you choose.
for example I bought a ASUS mother board from TigerDirect.com, and If you go to the ASUS website and look up the Motherboard you want They will have a list of
tested/approved components that they are Certain will work with the Board you have chosen. Then you can be sure that there will be No issues with the
Ram/Video card/sound card/ ect. This is the way to be sure you get something stable that works properly and doesn't give you any trouble.

QUOTE (rentaspace @ Feb 4, 2014 - 1:05 AM) *

I7 Processor
8GB Ram

Well, this is my setup:

but I can only FAP to one vid at a time, don't even like 3some stuff...

FAP on one screen, but game on 3!

--------------------

post Feb 16, 2014 - 4:42 PM
+Quote Post
Poonicus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '13
From Tomball, TX
Currently Offline

Love the calendars in the back ground, I missed the deadline on paying for mine so I'm just going to wait till next year.

--------------------
"As a professor of science, I assure you we did, in fact, evolve from filthy monkey-men." -Prof. Farnsworth
post Feb 26, 2014 - 2:58 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
From Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Currently Offline

I bought this the other day smile.gif

--------------------
2007 Impreza 2.5i - Daily
1994 Camry - Sold
1994 Celica - Sold :(

Click here to see my progress thread!

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:31 AM