post Jul 6, 2017 - 3:33 PM
+Quote Post
rocketcost

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 13, '16
From Kingsville, Ontario
Currently Offline

Hey guys,

So I bought some low pros and alloys to put on my car, and at high speeds the steering wheel will shake. It comes and goes as I drive straight down the freeway. The difference in diameter from the OEM ones are about 1 inch smaller now. I have had the tires/rims balanced twice, the second time they said that both fronts were out about a half a gram. The problem still happens, so I called them again today, and the guy said that due to the difference in circumference, "the drive line is working harder" therefore causing the steering shake. To give you some numbers:
OEM (equivalent) according to google: 185/70 14
Current: 205/40 17

Difference between the two:
1.3 inches in dia.
2.3 inches in circumference
27 extra revs per mile

Is this pure bologna or are they telling me the truth (and I just don't want to admit these tires won't work)

Thanks!!

post Jul 6, 2017 - 4:16 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I would have the tires bakanced somewhere else. Your car may need new tie rod ends and/or an alignment but the smart money is on tires being out of balance. Myself and many others here run a 215/45/17 with absolutely no issues, and many others run bigger still with no issues.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jul 18, 2017 - 7:09 PM
+Quote Post
ninentynineGT

Enthusiast

Joined May 26, '17
From richmond
Currently Offline

Try and find a place that uses a Road Force balancer, it doesn't just balance the wheel and tire assembly but also takes in account the force of road on the wheels and recommend the best position for each wheel to be put back on the car to minimize vibrations. It works. We just did it on a 2016 M3 today, only had 7000 miles but was getting shaking at 80 mph. We Road Forced his tires and were able to get it driving smooth like glass all the way to 120 no problems
post Jul 19, 2017 - 1:45 PM
+Quote Post
Wild202

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 10, '17
From Russia, Izhevsk
Currently Offline

If the wheels are balanced and the beat is still there, then either the wheels are wheel curves, or the tire itself is a curve (maybe an internal cord break).

This post has been edited by Wild202: Jul 19, 2017 - 1:46 PM

--------------------
Email - vad07@inbox.ru

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 2:34 AM