6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I am just going to run low boost. . . yea right!, A warning for anyone who wants to boost a 5sfe
post Jun 8, 2017 - 11:25 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I put in a nice 3 point front strut bar. I heard when you link the 2 strut towers together it really improves the cornering.

I went with the Beatrush brand and I am really happy with the look. I can't wait to see how it handles.
post Jun 10, 2017 - 1:53 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I took my Celica to the dyno and they did 3 pulls for me. Here are the engine specs going into the dyno:

4th gen 3sgte (stock bottom end)
264 Brian Crower Camshafts (1 degree advanced on intake and 3 degrees retarded on the exhaust)
3 inch custom made intake
SCG-1 Innovate Boost Controller
3 inch catless downpipes
2.5 inch exhaust with Magnaflow cat, Magnaflow muffler, and glass pack resonator
Stock CT15B Turbo
2.5 inch intercooler piping
CX Racing Intercooler
SSQV Blow Off Valve
Koyo 2-Row Radiator with stock fans
Stock ECU

See the photo below.

The first 2 pulls were done with the wastegate set to 28% with a 20% gain. This gave the engine 11 psi.

After that we let the car cool down for about 20 minutes and then I turned the wastegate up to 44% for the last pull. This gave the engine 13 psi.

I felt I left about 10-20 psi on the table. I could have added more gain to try to get 1 or 2 more psi. In the end I did not want to push it and chance damaging the motor. PrimeMR2 told me it is safe to run about 14 psi on 91 octane and 17 psi on 93 octane. For these dyno pulls I ran 91 octane with some STP octane booster just as a safety precaution.

These are pretty good numbers. A completely stock motor is rated at 256 hp at the crank (approx 218 hp at the wheels) at 13 psi. If I am getting 238 hp at the wheels with the same boost then that works out to approximately 280 hp at the crank. A gain of 20 hp at the wheels with some basic mods and a stock ECU is pretty good.
post Jun 10, 2017 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I think tuned for 93 octane you'd be good for at least 300 at the crank.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 10, 2017 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 10, 2017 - 6:06 PM) *
I think tuned for 93 octane you'd be good for at least 300 at the crank.

The stock ECU is good for this car. It has fuel maps up to around 20-21 psi. It could use a good camshaft gear tuning on a dyno. The you are right 93 octane with 1-2 psi will get me there easy. I have been using 91 and octane booster but who knows how much it really boost octane or how well is evenly mixes in the tank.
post Jun 10, 2017 - 9:29 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

If it's a return style fuel system then it mixes quite well actually!

--------------------
post Jun 13, 2017 - 7:11 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Makes me want to buy a set of cams and install them to my Caldina... If only I had the money lol...

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Jun 16, 2017 - 5:10 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I forgot what forum I was reading it on, but there was someone who did a Megasquirt standalone on his 4th gen 3sgte. Once he got it tuned he picked up 40-50 more hp to the wheels with an all stock motor. This was done with a mild tune as well. I guess the stock ECU is tuned very very conservatively and I heard a lot of OEM ECUs are like that.

I have a Megaquirt DIYPNP ECU laying around from my 5sfte build but the pinout type is wrong. I have a 76 pin on it and I need a 122 pin. I got in touch with DIYAUTOTUNE and they sell a kit that converts the ECU to a 122 pin. The kit is the DIYBOB-N122 and the great thing is it only costs $89. That is way better than buying a whole new ECU. I will break the soldering iron back out and get to work. I love that once I get this ECU tuned it will open up a whole new set of options for upgrading the motor down the line.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Jun 16, 2017 - 5:10 PM
post Jun 16, 2017 - 7:53 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Stock ECU tune is always conservative, gotta make it last through that warranty period. My brother's Genesis 2.0T gained 50 hp just from having the ECU uploaded with a new tune. Pretty much every car I can think of that's boosted from the factory, rather that's from a turbo or a supercharger, benefits greatly from just an ECU tune.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 16, 2017 - 8:22 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I am excited to see what power is hiding in this motor. To keep things clean on the forum, I will use my DIYPNP thread to document what I am doing. It is at the following link:

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=96250
post Aug 6, 2017 - 12:51 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Had another track day last weekend and the car gave me absolutely no problems all day. The new water to air intercooler worked great. My engine temps and oil pressure stayed right where it needed to be. I turned the boost duty cycle all the way down (8 psi of boost) and I was able to focus on learning the track.

My next time out I plan to turn up the boost to 13-14 psi and really do some damage. I love this 3sgte! The motor is very responsive and the turbo spools so fast that the car almost feels NA.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Aug 6, 2017 - 12:52 AM
post Aug 7, 2017 - 9:03 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

glad to hear you say this after all the things you ran into. now you really get to enjoy it. smile.gif
someday hopefully I'll get to enjoy a 4th gen swap of my own. hahaha

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Aug 13, 2017 - 1:39 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

A friend of mine has a YouTube channel and he filmed some of the track day. Here is the link with a couple shots of my car. Time skip to 1:30 to see my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udtDYheFYg8
post Aug 13, 2017 - 4:23 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

It's so.....quiet!

--------------------
post Aug 13, 2017 - 6:23 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's the quiet ones you have to look out for.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 13, 2017 - 9:55 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Aug 13, 2017 - 6:23 PM) *
It's the quiet ones you have to look out for.

It is a 2.5 inch custom exhaust with a Magnaflow cat, Glasspack resonator, and Magnaflow muffler. This custom exhaust was put on when the car still had the 5sfe with the custom header. At first I had it with no resonator but it was WAY too loud and droney. Now that I have a 3sgte, the turbo is acting like a 2nd resonator making it super quiet. I am planning to either switch to a different, more aggressive looking muffler for some more sound or completely rip it out and go 3 inches. If I go 3 inches I will still keep a cat and muffler on the car but I am unsure if I should do a resonator. With the car being a cloth-top convertible, if the exhaust is too loud then it ruins the drive because you can hear EVERYTHING. What do you guys think? Will I pick up any horsepower going to a 3 inch exhaust?
post Aug 13, 2017 - 10:04 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

You will definitely pick up some power by going to a 3” exhaust but I wouldn’t even begin to know what kind of number to place on it. My suggestion is to keep your current 2.5” exhaust if you are happy with it, but get a 3” downpipe (if you don’t already have one) and a boost activated exhaust cutout. That way you still have your quiet and comfortable cruising but you get all the perks of a larger exhaust at WOT. Free flowing when you need it, silent when you don’t.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 13, 2017 - 10:11 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Between turbo, cat, and muffler it should still be fairly quiet. Here's an interesting page on the subject: http://www.koracing.net/viewarticle.php?article=7 Personally if it were me I'd just stick with 2.5" and put the money elsewhere.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 13, 2017 - 11:33 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 13, 2017 - 10:04 PM) *
You will definitely pick up some power by going to a 3” exhaust but I wouldn’t even begin to know what kind of number to place on it. My suggestion is to keep your current 2.5” exhaust if you are happy with it, but get a 3” downpipe (if you don’t already have one) and a boost activated exhaust cutout. That way you still have your quiet and comfortable cruising but you get all the perks of a larger exhaust at WOT. Free flowing when you need it, silent when you don’t.

Boost activated cutout? Is that one of those systems that bypass the muffler at certain sport modes on modern cars? That sounds like it would be pretty cool if it was activated by a certain boost level (no "sports +" mode on our cars). I have heard of people doing that with a wastegate on the exhaust. Are there any systems out there I could purchase? Also, I already have a cat-less 3 inch heat wrapped downpipe.
post Aug 14, 2017 - 9:08 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Exactly, you hit a certain boost level and it opens up automatically to bypass the rest of the exhaust.

https://www.amazon.com/Loudvalves-Activated...s/dp/B01C3CWKIW

I’m not necessarily recommending this one, as the description admits that you’ll likely have an exhaust leak, but it’s a good reference. I know Sound Performance has a good one but it looks like they’re out of stock at the moment.

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/category.php?sub=111

That's my plan she I swap a 4th gen, anyway. Keep the 2.5" exhaust from my BEAMS but run a 3" downpipe and a cutout, but electric cars boost activated is TBD.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 15, 2017 - 10:33 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W1209-DC-12V-Therm...e-/112240151477 would that run a fan for the intercooler? I wouldn't trust the on board relay but I think you can use it to flip a bigger relay for a decent fan.

--------------------

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:54 PM