> Coil-over time?
post May 28, 2010 - 8:40 PM
+Quote Post
Jamchell

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 24, '09
From San Diego, Ca
Currently Offline

So I'm really considering upgrading to coil-overs. Right now my car has 198k miles and all 4 dampers are blown out, all 4 dust covers are long gone and one of the rear covers is wedged into the upper strut mount in such a way I don't think it will ever come out entirely. I also think the springs are sagging a bit so might end up having to do those as well. I was doing some research and even my pep boys commercial account I'm looking at over $500 in parts to replace everything. I've been looking at the Megan Racing COs and think that right now would be the perfect time to upgrade, what do you guys think? Are they pretty durable, can you replace the damper cartridges if they blow out or wear out?
post May 28, 2010 - 10:09 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

you said it, now is a good time to upgrade. most coilover companies offer warranty or they can supply you replacement parts when needed as long as you keep your proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. coilover dampers have a higher resistance from being blown compared to stock dampers so they're not likely to wear. if you don't mind the stiffness, then coilovers are definitely the way to go...

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post May 28, 2010 - 10:14 PM
+Quote Post
garin

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 12, '07
From Lancaster, Pa
Currently Offline

both springs and coils have pros and cons.

--------------------
post May 29, 2010 - 4:27 PM
+Quote Post
HectortheRican

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 26, '09
From Albuquerque, NM
Currently Offline

You're in the same situation I'm in. 3 my shocks are blown and my dust covers are non existent as well. I'm going with the Megan Racing street series coilovers that are on GB on here. I ordered them about 2 weeks ago, but they're on back order kindasad.gif I've heard excellent reviews of the Megans though, so I'm sticking with it

--------------------
taking too long to mod since '09
June '12 COTM
'95 AT200
post May 29, 2010 - 4:29 PM
+Quote Post
Jamchell

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 24, '09
From San Diego, Ca
Currently Offline

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go ahead and install a set, instead of spending almost the same on oem parts. They ride quite a bit stiffer right, that's ok with me, the Celica was never a luxury cruiser to begin with. I prefer my sports cars to act like sports cars, save the cushy pillow ride for Lexus. Well as long as I don't bottom out over every singe pebble I hit that is.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 2:38 AM