post May 24, 2018 - 1:05 PM
+Quote Post
ds8

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 25, '16
Currently Offline

QUOTE (narly_charley @ May 21, 2018 - 8:17 AM) *
QUOTE (ds8 @ May 18, 2018 - 6:11 PM) *
I would like to hear your opinions on refinishing this set of factory alloys. I got them stripped and ready for paint. My question is do I powder coat or do regular automotive paint + clearcoat or engine enamel? I wanna do this set in bright white. I'm talking rally white. Once they are done I'll swap them out and redo the set currently on the car in silver.

Powder Coat all day. I had a set of TRD 18" wheels for my 7th gen that I sent to Wheels America (their Chicago branch before they closed it down). They were bent to hell and back and had DEEP curb rash. They sent them back and they looked better than new, I could not have been happier. If you plan on racing/tracking it with the wheels, I wouldn't recommend refinishing like that because they heat them up pretty hot and CAN make them more brittle. Mine was just driven on the road, so I didn't have any issues.

https://wheelsamerica.com/retail-services/w...epair-services/

I have read about the possible danger of powder coating. I also don't know how they would deal with the plastic center caps. I would want the wheel and center cap to match obviously.

QUOTE (danthrift71 @ May 21, 2018 - 11:36 PM) *
Just read whole thread up 'til now. Powder coat ovens usually don't go much over about 350 degrees F. I have several customers that powder coat automobile wheels and all
kinds of aluminum like high end bicycle frames (thin wall tubing. much more heat saturation). I haven't heard of any failures as a result of heat from PC ovens. Go for it.
That being said, have you considered a polished or wire brushed finish? Also really like the LED lights. I live way out in the country and my stock lights don't do much for seeing
deer and other animals. May I ask what kind of LEDs you got for headlights and high beams and how do you like them now that you've had them a while? Thanks.

I am not interested in polished or brushed finish, I want one set of wheels in the original silver, and the other set rally white. Here are links to the LED bulbs I bought. They have been fantastic and I would buy them again. I really like that they are instant on. You can basically strobe your high beams at people instead of flashing them to get their attention.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KFBPBX4/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KFBPAJO/
post May 25, 2018 - 11:20 PM
+Quote Post
danthrift71

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 16, '17
From North Florida
Currently Offline

Thanks. I'll check 'em out.
post May 24, 2020 - 2:20 PM
+Quote Post
ds8

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 25, '16
Currently Offline

Quick update

I still have not touched the wheels due to my CV axle boots being torn, but I finally replaced the CV axles. I also replaced the front and rear motor mounts and the AC idle up valve. While I was at it with the CV axles I did the ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar links too. My radiator was looking pretty old so i replaced that too along with new upper and lower hoses.

I added a strobe module to the 3rd brake light circuit, also I am gathering parts needed to convert my rear drums to disc brakes.

post Feb 16, 2022 - 2:49 PM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
From wild 100's, South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ds8 @ Apr 1, 2017 - 8:09 PM) *
Swapped out a few more things this weekend.

First up is the center console cover:

Pic taken before I cleaned it. I found this cover in the junk yard and it was in good shape minus the 4 dimples on there.

I also replaced my door panels. Also a junk yard find.

Here's my old driver side panel:

The passenger one wasn't too bad, but I swapped it anyway cause the new set I found was in better condition. I threw away the old drivers side one, but kept the passenger side one. I plan to store it for now.

Here's a pic of my door with the panel off, so you can see the door lock actuators I installed and their mounting location.

funny .i found at the junkyard this same color and model . it had lock actuator located on the same spot. it look exactly like yours , but it was in Illinois.
Finally here is the new door panel:

Lastly if anyone has a part number for these door panel push pins that would be great.

post Feb 17, 2022 - 9:08 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

look up st202 blmzf. theres a russian website and another one called epc data on the 1st page of google search. there you can find part numbers for those.

--------------------
For Sale Items:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:01 AM