> new Zupra!!!
post Mar 9, 2018 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Because automatics take out any fun in driving for me, even if it were a newer one that shifts just as fast or faster than I can so it's not about shifting speed or being the fastest. If anyone else likes them or finds them fun that's fine, but I don't. There's just a feeling of disconnect between me and the car and I don't feel like driving it and just rather be a passenger at that point. I think a lot of it was when I was starting to drive I was overly cautious and nervous and would just space out to deal with the stress while driving, and all the cars were automatic. The first car I started to really drive and get comfortable with was a manual and it forced me to constantly pay attention and work through my nervousness, even now after 10 years of driving there are times I'll get antsy and having the manual keeps me from spacing out since it keeps me focused on driving and not on my anxiety. I guess it's a combination of what's fun and safe for me, so the world probably wants me in a manual just as much as I want to be in one. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 19, 2018 - 2:34 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

As we draw nearer to the official reveal, we keep getting more and more information on this car and it changing my mind about it. I didn’t care for the looks of the FT1 concept and that still hasn’t changed. However, it seemed at first that we’d be getting maybe a beefed up 370Z. Now we know this car will weigh under 3,300 lbs, have the same structural rigidity as the LFA, lower center of gravity than the 86 triplets, and handle like a Cayman. That all sounds very promising to me. Granted, it still won’t run with the cars that it used to so I can understand why so many people are still upset about it, but the mkIV crowd still expects it to have 800 hp with the potential for about a trillion so they aren’t even giving this car a chance. However, it looks like it’ll have a BMW B58 engine so there will be potential for decent power. As of today, several journalists have gotten their hands on the A90 and the reviews are very positive, which is reinforcing my recent change of heart.

https://jalopnik.com/2019-toyota-supra-the-...h-to-1829117407

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/supra-c...irst-drive?ab=1

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2020-t...prototype-drive

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 19, 2018 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

I'm still upset that they teamed up with BMW. Not a Toyota in my mind...

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Sep 19, 2018 - 3:28 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Sep 19, 2018 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

At least it's return to performance and fun with the 86 and A90
I'd rather have them making more sports cars then more sedan and crossover variants.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Sep 20, 2018 - 7:59 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Supra Utility Vehicle.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Sep 20, 2018 - 2:16 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 19, 2018 - 1:34 PM) *
I can understand why so many people are still upset about it, but the mkIV crowd still expects it to have 800 hp with the potential for about a trillion so they aren’t even giving this car a chance.

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Sep 19, 2018 - 2:28 PM) *
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I rest my case. laugh.gif

QUOTE (narly_charley @ Sep 19, 2018 - 2:04 PM) *
I'm still upset that they teamed up with BMW. Not a Toyota in my mind...

I was at the start as well. I still see BMW's as unreliable but at the same time, BMW builds a great chassis (and we all know Toyota desperately needs to learn a thing or two in that department these days) and BMW is the only logical choice to go to for a straight six. Look at it this way- this car is already rumored to cost $60,000+ USD and has taken YEARS to get this close to production and that's with BMW's help. If Toyota had to develop a new engine from scratch, an engine that would be used in this car and this car alone, imagine the cost and time it would take. We'd nearly never see another Supra. (Not that it seems that BMW helped speed up the process...) But the B58 engine has proved to be pretty reliable so far with decent power potential. We'll see how high mileage examples do, and I'd be worried to drive one of these out of warranty but the Supra will come with Toyota's warranty. I don't believe maintenance can be ignored or put off as with every other Toyota but taken care of, I don't think this will be the worst car Toyota has ever produced. Everything I've ever read about the BMW/Toyota collab says they started off together then went their own separate ways with each car, and only came back together at the very end, supporting Akio Toyoda's claims that "there's a lot more Toyota in this car than people think." I've read that the BMW-Toyota partnership benefits BMW by getting to use Toyota's hybrid technology and Toyota gets to build a better chassis, which will make Toyota more exciting than the appliances they've made over the last decade. The A90 may have a BMW engine but one of the articles above states Toyota electronics, which was one of my big concerns.

QUOTE (cheela @ Sep 19, 2018 - 2:42 PM) *
At least it's return to performance and fun with the 86 and A90
I'd rather have them making more sports cars then more sedan and crossover variants.

This. The JZA80 may have punched outside of it's weight class to take on Corvettes, 911's, even the GTR, but the fact is that it was marketed more against the Z32. It just happened to have much more capability than Toyota liked to pretend. Although I tend to agree with the masses that I'm a little disappointed that the A90 no longer competes with these cars, I can't say I'm surprised either. Toyota has no interest in competing with themselves with the RC-F and LC500, even though those are at a different price point than the A90 is rumored to be. But they can't have their $60k car embarrassing the $90k+ LC500 (even though it's going to anyway- even the name LC is LUXURY coupe, not BARC- badass race coupe.) My hope is that the rumored price point is incorrect because $60k puts this car into C7 Vette and M3 territory, and lined up perfectly with the Cayman they are marketing this against. If that's the case, the car simply won't sell well because there's too much competition at that price range, meaning most people will walk away from the Supra and move onto something else, which will kill production after only a few years. Wait... that sounds familiar... almost like some other car Toyota used to build...

Interesting read on the B58 rumored to power the A90. Definitely has some pros and cons.
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/03/27/detail...ylinder-engine/

From the release of the FT1 concept I have not been a fan of the A90. Hated the looks then, hate the look now. I had a feeling it would be a lame 370Z competitor for $60k, not cool. However, now that Toyota is leaking little teasers, telling us it handles like a Cayman, letting people get pictures of the engine bay so some have taken educated guesses that it's powered by a B58, and they actually encourage people to swap 2JZ's into it and even built the four cylinder to be cheaper and intentionally easy to swap a 2JZ into, that's just awesome. It sounds like Toyota has listened to us after all. They built a car with reinforcements for aftermarket wings, pre drilled for splitters, engine good enough for those that don't want to modify the car, handles exactly how we asked them to make it handle, and made it easy to put a 2JZ into on purpose. What isn't to love there? I'll sum up the highlights- very mod friendly, great handling, put a 2JZ in it. And I strongly suspect from little hints given here and there that they may have even built a test mule with a 2JZ in it just to make sure it doesn't ruin the handling of the car. You know for sure they out one in it at some point to ensure it's not difficult to swap, the way they specifically say buy the cheaper 4 cylinder for swapping legendary Toyota engines into.

I may still have the unpopular opinion here, but I don't care. I think this car will be a huge hit, price tag aside. They literally gave us everything a Supra used to be with some improvements, and since they can't legally put 2JZ's in it themselves, they intentionally made a cheaper model that's easy to swap. Everyone wins.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 20, 2018 - 3:06 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Well, what I wanna know is are they going to be putting 2JZs into production again? There's only so many left and I'm not going to be dropping $20K for a billet motor from down unda. What about transmission options? Universal transmission mounts/shifters, or will the 8987234-spd auto bolt up to the JZ block?

They should've made it easier to do an LS swap with a T-56 and call it a day.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Sep 20, 2018 - 9:55 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Those drawn out posts I’ve made and I still haven’t addressed the transmission... No manual trans option straight up sucks. No defending that one, no matter how good of a trans it might be. This car definitely won’t be fast enough out of the factory to justify no manual option. And you know it’s only a matter of time before there’s an LS in one of these, which will be BA. Since it won’t have the legendary status of the mkIV amongst enthusiasts, and since a lot of people don’t like BMW engines, I doubt if many purists will protest V8 swaps.

I did read an article earlier today that said the Supra’s engineers haven’t talked to BMW since 2014. That’s four years of development that BMW isn’t involved in if it’s true.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 20, 2018 - 9:56 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

Chee we could do halfies?
post Sep 21, 2018 - 7:31 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I still don't understand the lack of a manual when the Z4 has it, like seriously how hard could it be to offer it as an option? That's ok, I guess so long as it's easy enough to throw in a 2JZ and CD009(or whatever cheaper trans than the V160/161 that works) then who cares.

This post has been edited by Box: Sep 21, 2018 - 7:31 AM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 21, 2018 - 8:54 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

...would be cool if they threw a dogbox/PPG transmission into it.....

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Sep 21, 2018 - 8:54 AM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Sep 21, 2018 - 9:23 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Sep 20, 2018 - 9:56 PM) *

Who gets it at the meets though? laugh.gif

--------------------

post Sep 21, 2018 - 9:28 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Sep 21, 2018 - 9:23 AM) *

Probably me. You can keep/ store it.
post Sep 21, 2018 - 9:44 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Fair enough. I'll keep it and drive it occasionally weekly until the meets where you will pick it up and drive me to the meets and back. laugh.gif

--------------------

post Sep 21, 2018 - 11:01 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Sep 21, 2018 - 9:23 AM) *

this sounds wrong on so many levels...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Sep 21, 2018 - 11:04 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

on point with the supra, i dont like it. it has a beemer hart. that sucks. let me swap a ford fiesta engine in my celica.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Sep 21, 2018 - 1:44 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

$60K! Holy balls... You could build SOOOOOO much for that amount of money. Financing may not be as easy, but you can definitely do much more for the money. Like you guys said before - if there's no standard trans available, you might as well buy a new Sienna.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Sep 21, 2018 - 8:10 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

With BMW power train it won't be about who gets to drive it or store it, it'll be who gets to pay when it breaks :rofl:

--------------------
post Sep 22, 2018 - 12:45 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

60K even gets you a decent enough turbo MKIV, which is what everyone wants anyway and options to finance them are a thing these days. Or you could build one hellacious SC300 for about half. I dunno, there are some that'll buy it I'm sure for the looks, that or the newness. Or like in most instances with cars even with cars marketed towards enthusiasts your enthusiast is still in the minority of ownership, so I expect the vast majority will buy it for the looks and features or maybe they just heard how good the (MKIV) Supra is. Since an actual enthusiast with money I can't foresee choosing it over a Cayman, Corvette, etc...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:44 AM