6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3sgte AWD Conversion, Trying it anyway!
post Feb 4, 2007 - 9:32 PM
+Quote Post
Green_MachToy

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 21, '04
From Oceanside
Currently Offline

I got a shipment in of all the parts I was missing to do the AWD Conversion on my ST. Now I am starting to put everything in with a lot of help from a friend of mine.
Parts List 1
Parts list 2
Parts list 3
Parts list 4
Parts list 5
Parts list 6
Here is a shot while we were taking pics.
Plenty of Go Go Juice
The first thing we pulled the rear out, and placed the new ST205 rear on a jack and started measuring. It seemed like we were measuring for hours...but gotta make sure it is right.
Holding it in place until everything measures out.
There were no bolt holes that we could use to tap and bolt the rear up to, so we had to fab a brace.
New Rear
Then as many know...the trunk had to go. We decided to remove the entire trunk bottom to also allow for the gas tank. The next problem we ran into was the bumper support. We had to cut that in order for the tank to fit and to keep the it up high. We are going to fab a mounting bracket for the bumper but that got moved low on the list.
View from trunk where gas tank will go.
The driveshaft and tunnel needed extra mounting brackets and the exhaust to be relocated. In doing this we almost caught the car on fire from the heat of the welds. Luckily the carpet did catch, but rather than pull it back like we had, we removed it all to ensure it didn't catch fire.
Pic of tunnel
When it came to the fromt, that work went a lot faster. The tranny swap was easy enough to remove the MR2 and replace it with the ST205. Since the only axles that appeared to fit were the ST205, I got them from here (thanks celica3sgte)! Just as we had most everything was coming together, my shifter cable broke. It was actually the plastic piece right near the shifter. Got one off an ST185, and tried to put it in tonight...it doesn't fit!
Side note: The front cross-member is the same as ours. I had ordered it just to be on the safe side, and didn't need it. The super strut system uses the same mounting points.
Front disc and strut
Monster Discs!
Another view of front
Rear discs with 18" rims on 'em.
We also installed a new Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and 680 injectors...was to help a new T4 turbo. But the T4 shaft and fins appear to have been damaged in the mail. I will now have to send it out to have them replaced and balanced. Anyone know of a good place here in San Diego or Southern California? I was going to send it to Performance Tecniques in San Bernadino, but no one seems to have heard of them.

This post has been edited by Green_MachToy: Feb 4, 2007 - 10:08 PM
post Feb 4, 2007 - 10:31 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

nice job. looks like you have a good chance at making it all work. how are you planning to mount the rear? looks like you have a frame made up that you'll bolt to the car and then bolt the rear to that?

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Feb 4, 2007 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
Green_MachToy

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 21, '04
From Oceanside
Currently Offline

QUOTE(lagos @ Feb 5, 2007 - 3:31 AM) [snapback]523993[/snapback]

nice job. looks like you have a good chance at making it all work. how are you planning to mount the rear? looks like you have a frame made up that you'll bolt to the car and then bolt the rear to that?

What we did was we made a frame with bolts welded to it. That frame was welded to the frame of the car re-inforcing the existing frame and allowing the rear subframe to be bolted to it. This way if I need to take it off for any reason the sub frame can be removed leaving only the welded on re-inforcement. I will take some more pics to show it better. The rear is on and everything is in place all the way to the transfer case. It all looks to be in working order. The final test will be to finish everything up and drive it.
post Feb 4, 2007 - 10:55 PM
+Quote Post
JesterDC

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '06
Currently Offline

OMG, OMG, OMG, PLEASE SUCCEED, please!!!!!
post Feb 4, 2007 - 11:34 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

very very nice, the more pictures the better smile.gif

especially of the new frame u made wink.gif
post Feb 4, 2007 - 11:40 PM
+Quote Post
Punch

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 29, '04
From Brooklyn moved to Miramar Florida
Currently Offline

thats some nice work!!!!
I wish you the best on this project!!!
post Feb 4, 2007 - 11:54 PM
+Quote Post
LewFX

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 28, '05
From Redondo Beach, CA
Currently Offline

if you succeed, would you do it to another celica for some cash? hook up the so cal celis

--------------------
IPB Image
post Feb 4, 2007 - 11:54 PM
+Quote Post
Green_MachToy

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 21, '04
From Oceanside
Currently Offline

Tank view with neck to original spot and trunk gone
Reinforced frame with rear mounting bolt for sub frame and sway bar
Center sub frame mounting point
Control arms from ST205 and one custom adjustable arm to ensure correct fit
additional pic of welded support for sub frame at center mounting point
Front reinforcement that bolts to front of subframe
another tank view to show it also is removable by removing bolts and strut support
post Feb 4, 2007 - 11:57 PM
+Quote Post
Green_MachToy

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 21, '04
From Oceanside
Currently Offline

We can definately do that. We were trying to figure out a way to build a jig so it could be ordered and shipped out to anyone so they could bolt it in. We definately aren't there yet, but we have the welder and can duplicate what we have done already. I am sure it would be easier for yours since you are already a hatch. But we would have to take a look. You can come down and take a look anytime if you would like.
QUOTE(LewFX @ Feb 5, 2007 - 4:54 AM) [snapback]524008[/snapback]

if you succeed, would you do it to another celica for some cash? hook up the so cal celis

post Feb 5, 2007 - 1:31 AM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

this is awesome... this is gonna be one of the craziest coupes ever when it's finished.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Feb 5, 2007 - 1:54 AM
+Quote Post
italianmr2kid

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 21, '07
From ohio
Currently Offline

i def want to know about how this goes. you willing to do a write up for some people to follow (cough*me*cough) maybe in a gt instead of st?

--------------------
MR2 Turbo - Sold
post Feb 5, 2007 - 1:57 AM
+Quote Post
Punch

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 29, '04
Currently Offline

that can be a kit you can sell to has sport not only for honda's any more...LOL
post Feb 5, 2007 - 2:00 AM
+Quote Post
j0e_p3t

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '05
From torrance/carson, ca
Currently Offline

expect me to show up at your door a couple years from now so you can put all that into my car.

--------------------
IPB Image
ss-iii splitters and 404 skirts are on. which means i need to update my sig.
post Feb 5, 2007 - 9:35 AM
+Quote Post
Green_MachToy

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 21, '04
From Oceanside
Currently Offline

QUOTE(italianmr2kid @ Feb 5, 2007 - 6:54 AM) [snapback]524033[/snapback]

i def want to know about how this goes. you willing to do a write up for some people to follow (cough*me*cough) maybe in a gt instead of st?

I would be glad to help where I can. The only problem with giving advice on the GT vice the ST, I don't have one. LOL. Meaning I am not sure of all the differences until we look at and possibly do one.
post Feb 5, 2007 - 10:42 AM
+Quote Post
2slow2nervous

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '06
From HAMILTON NJ
Currently Offline

i would love to see a write up on this to!
post Feb 5, 2007 - 11:23 AM
+Quote Post
CilverSeliST205

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 3, '05
From Chicago Suburbs
Currently Offline

I wish you success in your project, and as a potential future customer i would like you to PM me a ballpark price of labor and custom made parts (not including oem gt4 parts). Good Luck!

--------------------
QUOTE(tufy @ Jul 19, 2006 - 7:40 AM) [snapback]458074[/snapback]

i dont drive fast, i just fly low
post Feb 5, 2007 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

you've inspired me biggrin.gif
post Feb 5, 2007 - 12:34 PM
+Quote Post
Punch

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 29, '04
Currently Offline

can you try st185 parts alot ez-er to come by & even carmy alltrac parts , that way you can get parts from the dealer....
post Feb 5, 2007 - 3:01 PM
+Quote Post
Green_MachToy

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 21, '04
From Oceanside
Currently Offline

I am not sure...I know some of the parts appear to similar to the ST185 or ST165 - those are the subframe. Transfer case appears to be different. Would have to look at the wheel base and drive shaft to make sure the driveshafts are the same. ST165 is a two piece driveshaft...st205 is 3. I have a hub from a st185, let me check to see if it is the same. I will see what I can dig up as far as cross referencing parts. To be honest with you, since we had to fab a mounting point for the rear, I am sure you can adjust for the different AWD Set-ups, but it may affect you in other areas. If the transfer case is bigger...there may not be enough room near the rack. Little things like that we can speculate on but until you have the parts and are diving into it, you don't know for sure. I think when you add other types of body styles and years, you add more opportunity for problems. I am not done yet, so there may be other problems that I am not yet aware of. I would be happy to help, in any way. If you are asking me my opinion...I would say stay with the st205, because right now it appears we might be able to get that to work. I am not sure of what the cost would be for the complete package until it is 100% complete. I hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Green_MachToy: Feb 5, 2007 - 3:12 PM
post Feb 5, 2007 - 3:15 PM
+Quote Post
Fate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 30, '04
From Atlantic City
Currently Offline

this is awesome! can't wait to see the process as it comes closer to finished.

--------------------

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:15 PM