6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rentaspace's progression :), How My Celica Came to Be :)
post May 12, 2013 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Buys colour-matched spats... Paints them anyway tongue.gif

Sounds good though smile.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post May 13, 2013 - 12:29 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JoshuaM @ May 12, 2013 - 11:39 PM) *
Buys colour-matched spats... Paints them anyway tongue.gif

Sounds good though smile.gif

hahahahaha I found out my paint isn't stock... It's 1 or 2 shades off of stock (The car was resprayed after the Lilli Pilli Hail storm in 1998)
and also white is the hardest paint colour to match, so I would rather just get the all to the proper colour smile.gif

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post May 13, 2013 - 1:31 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

High Res Day Photos:

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post May 14, 2013 - 1:54 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

And another photo post:

I also finally fixed the door panel trim material on both doors that was hanging off for the past half a year lol smile.gif Looks a lot better now smile.gif

And finally got these two 'interestingly' angled shots:

--------------------

post May 14, 2013 - 4:34 AM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rentaspace @ Apr 21, 2013 - 3:07 AM) *
So after some research I found that Wolfie on 6GC made the clear third brake light, and could get his hands on the clear courtesy lights from the Tundra that fit perfectly. (Toyota Australia fought me saying I was 'making it up' and that they couldn't special order the part for me, complete bs if you ask me). So I got Wolfie to send them to me and they arrived and installed with no problems whatsoever biggrin.gif Unfortunately, by the time I found out about Wolfie, I had already purchased some crystal front and side indicators, but this doesn't bother me as I like their style and they match the side markers.
The final fitment of Wolfie's 3rd brake is spot-on, he does a fantastic job and big props to him:

Even up close, his detail is amazing:

Wolfie? Hmmmm....by any chance do you think I can get a hold of him? I would really like those clear brake light. Would go perfect with my clear front indicators and turn signals.

--------------------
post May 14, 2013 - 5:42 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Good to see another Aussie member.

Any plans for the engine and suspension? They're the best mods you'll do.

--------------------
post May 14, 2013 - 6:50 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ May 14, 2013 - 5:34 AM) *
QUOTE (rentaspace @ Apr 21, 2013 - 3:07 AM) *
So after some research I found that Wolfie on 6GC made the clear third brake light, and could get his hands on the clear courtesy lights from the Tundra that fit perfectly. (Toyota Australia fought me saying I was 'making it up' and that they couldn't special order the part for me, complete bs if you ask me). So I got Wolfie to send them to me and they arrived and installed with no problems whatsoever biggrin.gif Unfortunately, by the time I found out about Wolfie, I had already purchased some crystal front and side indicators, but this doesn't bother me as I like their style and they match the side markers.
The final fitment of Wolfie's 3rd brake is spot-on, he does a fantastic job and big props to him:

Even up close, his detail is amazing:

Wolfie? Hmmmm....by any chance do you think I can get a hold of him? I would really like those clear brake light. Would go perfect with my clear front indicators and turn signals.

I tried to contact him to thank him, but his inbox was full >.< So I don't know how to contact him if it's still full....

QUOTE (S8S8 @ May 14, 2013 - 6:42 AM) *
Good to see another Aussie member.

Any plans for the engine and suspension? They're the best mods you'll do.

No plans at the moment for engine (I'm still P-Plater for the next two years so I can't do much)
And suspension I might lower it on coil-overs, but the skirts are already lower than the legal limit, and they actually check it all the time around here kindasad.gif

--------------------

post May 14, 2013 - 11:17 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

what does it mean to be a P-plater?
and they check skirt height!! thats absurd!!

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post May 14, 2013 - 12:12 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

That's a bummer. Well if you ever want to sell yours to me. PM me. Lol.

--------------------
post May 14, 2013 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

is it an Australia thing? why cant you drive a stick? whay does your dads speedometer have to do with that?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post May 14, 2013 - 6:30 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I'll just beat him to it... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ May 14, 2013 - 11:17 AM) *

In Australia, as soon as you pass your driving test (At age 17 + having had your learners license for at least 12 months and recording over 100/120 hours of 'log book' driving wih a qualified driver - number varies on state), you go on to a provisional license, which is designed to try to limit some of the distractions that cause accidents for new drivers, and to allow other road users to identify said young driver as somebody with little experience on the road (that doesn't always end well).

Restrictions for p platers (as they are called since all provisional license holders need to display p plates whilst driving) vary state to state, but in general;

Red P plates;
- Keep for 12 months
- Max 1 non-family passenger after 11pm
- no mobile phones (including hands free)
- 0.000 BAC limit (legal drinking age is 18 here, so it matters tongue.gif)
- Low number of demerit points - so it's easy to lose your license for 1 or 2 minor offenses
And the kickers,
- no 'high powered vehicles', which is everything over 210kW, turbo petrol, V8 and up, anything supercharged etc.
- no modification (classed as things that require inspection; so no engine swaps or turbo builds.... Coil overs are a grey area tongue.gif)

Green P plates;
- Keep for a further 24 months
- same as above, but ditches the one person and no hands free mobile rules.

In New South Whales, where rentaspace lives, there are even speed restrictions that stop them going full speed on the interstates!

And since it is so easy to identify p plate drivers, they are unfairly targeted by police more than anything! So I would be careful about going too low.

QUOTE (Smaay @ May 14, 2013 - 12:25 PM) *
is it an Australia thing? why cant you drive a stick? whay does your dads speedometer have to do with that?

When you go for your practical driving test to advance from learners to provisional license, you can only be awarded the type of license eligible for the car you took the test in. Since rentaspace took the test in an auto, he has only been given a license to drive an auto! redface.gif

The reason he couldn't use his dads car is that it is currently 'unroadworthy' because of that fault, and arriving at the test centre with that would have been an instant failure and loss of the driving test fee before they left the lot.

--------------------

post May 14, 2013 - 9:17 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JoshuaM @ May 14, 2013 - 6:30 PM) *
I'll just beat him to it... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ May 14, 2013 - 11:17 AM) *

In Australia, as soon as you pass your driving test (At age 17 + having had your learners license for at least 12 months and recording over 100/120 hours of 'log book' driving wih a qualified driver - number varies on state), you go on to a provisional license, which is designed to try to limit some of the distractions that cause accidents for new drivers, and to allow other road users to identify said young driver as somebody with little experience on the road (that doesn't always end well).

Restrictions for p platers (as they are called since all provisional license holders need to display p plates whilst driving) vary state to state, but in general;

Red P plates;
- Keep for 12 months
- Max 1 non-family passenger after 11pm
- no mobile phones (including hands free)
- 0.000 BAC limit (legal drinking age is 18 here, so it matters tongue.gif)
- Low number of demerit points - so it's easy to lose your license for 1 or 2 minor offenses
And the kickers,
- no 'high powered vehicles', which is everything over 210kW, turbo petrol, V8 and up, anything supercharged etc.
- no modification (classed as things that require inspection; so no engine swaps or turbo builds.... Coil overs are a grey area tongue.gif)

Green P plates;
- Keep for a further 24 months
- same as above, but ditches the one person and no hands free mobile rules.

In New South Whales, where rentaspace lives, there are even speed restrictions that stop them going full speed on the interstates!

And since it is so easy to identify p plate drivers, they are unfairly targeted by police more than anything! So I would be careful about going too low.

QUOTE (Smaay @ May 14, 2013 - 12:25 PM) *

When you go for your practical driving test to advance from learners to provisional license, you can only be awarded the type of license eligible for the car you took the test in. Since rentaspace took the test in an auto, he has only been given a license to drive an auto! redface.gif

The reason he couldn't use his dads car is that it is currently 'unroadworthy' because of that fault, and arriving at the test centre with that would have been an instant failure and loss of the driving test fee before they left the lot.

And to add to this:
In NSW it is also illegal to have ANY part of your car lower than 10CM (3.9") from the ground (You can legally go lower with an engineers report, BUT the cars registration changes and certain restrictions then apply (show car), including only certain days that it can be used and to top it off, your insurance will be wiped or cost a substantial amount more) or have ANY modification from stock.. (It's a big grey area, some cops will care for everything and other so not)...
They also check the tinting on your windows (Max 35%), and the 'noise pollution' from your exhaust... So My car has potentially many defects...
I know of friends getting their exhaust checked in a tunnel; their STOCK exhaust failed because of the tunnel... Obviously they took it to court and won, but that's what I mean by it depends on the cop...
My side-skirts sit at like 10 or 11cm off the ground, but under certain conditions (road bumps and crap) this number can drop and therefore make my car be defected...
Luckily, most cops won't care unless you act like a total tool to them, in which case they go over everything and defect you...

In fact, today I had a Police Camry (They don't usually go after people, the Commodores and Falcons do that mostly) tailgate me for around 10km... But, I have never been pulled over because I drive sensibly smile.gif
Unfortunately, the minority of P-Platers ruin it for everyone...

Also, the law in NSW is no more than one person under 21 years of age after 11pm, it doesn't matter if they are related or not here... (A cop told us this at school two years ago; it may have changed but I always assumed this)

The legal speeds in NSW are:
Learners: 90km/h (recently upped from 80km/h)
'P1' Red: 90km/h
'P2' Green: 100km/h
Full License: Whatever the speed limit is.

And yes, my dad's car does not have a working speedometer, and when attempting your driving test the instructor performs a 'basic' check to make sure they won't be put into danger... The speedometer is an integral part of the test; which upon the instructor seeing it does not work, I would be told to pull over and not move the car again... I would then be up for the cost of the test, even though I 'failed'...

And in an Update:

Today I paid for the TRD Rear Splitters for the car smile.gif Judging by the JDM tails shipment it should take 5-6days smile.gif

This post has been edited by rentaspace: May 14, 2013 - 9:22 PM

--------------------

post May 14, 2013 - 9:43 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

Man......and I thought us Cali people had it bad.

--------------------
post May 14, 2013 - 9:53 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ May 14, 2013 - 9:43 PM) *
Man......and I thought us Cali people had it bad.

Yeah it really suck haha

--------------------

post May 15, 2013 - 4:44 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Glad I got my licence before all these crazy rules came in. I even had a few glorious years of driving before speed cameras were introduced... smile.gif

--------------------
post May 15, 2013 - 5:43 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (S8S8 @ May 15, 2013 - 5:44 AM) *
Glad I got my licence before all these crazy rules came in. I even had a few glorious years of driving before speed cameras were introduced... smile.gif

Lucky lol tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

post May 20, 2013 - 8:45 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

UPDATE:
So yesterday, I got home from Tafe to find a package on my bed:

I promptly opened it up to find:

And as requested by JoshuaM the photos of what it 'will' look like on the car:
(Sorry about the crappy quality, I did this quickly as I am about to embark on a legal battle with a Telco lol)

Personally I think they flow alright smile.gif All opinions are welcome, I don't mind if you don't like it but a suggestion would also be appreciated as apposed to a 'I don't like it because I don't' answer lol...

--------------------

post May 20, 2013 - 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I don't like it because I don't.... like it wonky tongue.gif

Seriously though, that is like a perfect match! Certainly flows much better than my OEM skirts with TRD spats, and I would go almost as far to say that I prefer the flow of that top edge over the TRD skirts themselves!

And after seeing that I'd definately be going euro or SSIII front smile.gif

--------------------

post May 20, 2013 - 11:47 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JoshuaM @ May 20, 2013 - 10:19 PM) *
And after seeing that I'd definately be going euro or SSIII front smile.gif

I'm thinking SSSIII as I am not a fan of the Euro ones... The Euro is too small for my liking... But I guess each to their own haha

Also; I got this today (phone shot):

And this is the reason why I don't want a full front lip lol:

--------------------

post May 21, 2013 - 10:49 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Small Update:

Today I did some interior cable management. I routed the power cable for my GPS and CrashCam through the dash, and up the window column. Nothing fancy, just getting cables out of the way. Next job will be getting a double or triple 12V cig lighter to have the power completely behind the dash (and so both can be powered at once).
The CrashCam wire coming through the roof lining:

The GPS wire coming through the Window Column:

I was going to try and install the rear splats properly and get some photos, so I know how it will look after they're re-painted, but then this rolled in again (It is much darker in real life):

Now I am just waiting for this to finish (I am in the Lucas Heights bit frown.gif ):

I also got this photo this morning at Tafe; the car looks quite different with the skirts on. I really do like it smile.gif :

This post has been edited by rentaspace: May 21, 2013 - 11:08 PM

--------------------

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:12 PM