> Chee La's celica progression thread thing, 7AFE ---> Greytop BEAMS
post Sep 22, 2017 - 6:18 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

cheela, you dont need a turbo. You need reliability. Sounds like me, you are planning to keep celica forever. A v6 swap is for you. 1MZ go for it...

fixing a turbo in 10 years will get to you, you will rather be parenting. and with reliable parts, that be your childrens first car....

2gr will be more fun. and newer and parts available...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Sep 22, 2017 - 8:18 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I was thinking a 1MZ, but he said 300 hp. Then again low 200's naturally aspirated would be plenty in a car 2,500 pounds or less.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 22, 2017 - 9:53 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

trust me, 300 hp, too much for fwd. but then again, it does not matter..

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Sep 22, 2017 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Tell that to Honda. tongue.gif On an older car where you can't get equal length CV axles I'd say so. Personally I think the 1MZ would be more than enough given the Celica's size and weight as well as being FWD.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 23, 2017 - 12:54 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Sep 22, 2017 - 5:05 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Sep 22, 2017 - 3:37 PM) *
Looking good. thumbsup.gif

Hey you know what you'd enjoy more than projectors? A manual conversion. tongue.gif

Agreed, manual it! It looks real good man. Wish my exterior was that clean! But daily driving the car in MN w/ crap ton of construction doesn't help. We do gotta get some photos together one day.

I do want to ask though about your roof wing. Did you have to reinforce the middle so it doesn't slouch? Or is the wing itself a strong plastic?

defnitely gotta get the MN peeps together and come to WI or down to IL. smile.gif
I was asked this in the past as well. and yea it does droop. but so does the OEM one. it's not the material of the plastic, i think it's just how it was designed.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Sep 23, 2017 - 12:57 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Sep 22, 2017 - 6:18 PM) *
cheela, you dont need a turbo. You need reliability. Sounds like me, you are planning to keep celica forever. A v6 swap is for you. 1MZ go for it...

fixing a turbo in 10 years will get to you, you will rather be parenting. and with reliable parts, that be your childrens first car....

v6 has been hovering in my thoughts for a while too...sad thing is I let a $600 solara (v6 with E153) go a few weeks ago because I had insufficient fund due to my wedding. but that's life. also missed out on that damn supra in chicago but its okay, it just a supra........ .... ... ..... .....

--------------------

post Sep 23, 2017 - 2:42 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

well ive started to to talk with Frankenstein motorworks to make me a solid mount and pedal bracket out of my prototypes.. he can sell em after if he wants to make them

--------------------

post Sep 23, 2017 - 11:26 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Sep 23, 2017 - 1:54 AM) *
I was asked this in the past as well. and yea it does droop. but so does the OEM one. it's not the material of the plastic, i think it's just how it was designed.

Ah okay, I recently got mine from the R33 guy here who had his old replica. I thought it was the patch they did in the middle but what the wing is made of seems thin and flimsy so it slouches a bit.

QUOTE (cheela @ Sep 23, 2017 - 1:57 AM) *
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Sep 22, 2017 - 6:18 PM) *

v6 has been hovering in my thoughts for a while too...sad thing is I let a $600 solara (v6 with E153) go a few weeks ago because I had insufficient fund due to my wedding. but that's life. also missed out on that damn supra in chicago but its okay, it just a supra........ .... ... ..... .....

Owning a 1MZ I'd say it's a good engine swap; but a 2GR would have the extra power to satisfy, better reliability (than turbo or older 1MZ), and will be cheaper eventually. From the looks of it Toyota will probably keep the 2GR platform for another few years at least.
post Oct 25, 2017 - 9:49 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

digging through my parts pile and found a few things I forgot about.
extra key light ring can go in the freelica.
forgot about my clear door lens and chrome door handles.
once it gets too cold to do work outside i'll mess around with fitting these on.

--------------------

post Nov 5, 2017 - 6:43 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

so was still debating on doing clear corners for the JDM tails and wasn't ready to do it to my nice pristine ones on my celi so I bought another set to mess with. biggrin.gif why choose when you can have both?! hahaha got these for cheap so they're in decent condition, one small chip but it's fine and I might throw them on the freelica because it needs a set of taillights anyways.

w/ Amber

w/o Amber

--------------------

post Nov 6, 2017 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

That's a weird looking 3SGTE swap...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 6, 2017 - 6:01 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Indeed, too plasticy.

I think it looks better all clear. With the amber it almost reminds me of an egg sunny side up.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 6, 2017 - 6:32 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Guys, you gotta remember it’s an ST. The only way ST’s ever show another car what the tail lights look like is if you install another set on the front bumper. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 6, 2017 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

De-amber the rear turn and get some of these and a EP35 flasher relay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OGOCSS...=UTF8&psc=1
Bright as hell and with the EP35 flasher no hyper-flash problems running LED turn signals. Those bulbs are kickass in 1157 but you HAVE to run 75ohm of resistor on the power feed to the parking light otherwise they're too bright and the difference between dim and bright isn't strong enough to make a good turn signal and they're so bright on dim mode that they're really really obnoxious at night. Like super bad.

Honestly a 1MZ 6th gen GT sounds like a really nice car to have, even I'd enjoy one and I'm a 4 banger fan-boi.

--------------------
post Nov 6, 2017 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 6, 2017 - 5:32 PM) *
Guys, you gotta remember it’s an ST. The only way ST’s ever show another car what the tail lights look like is if you install another set on the front bumper. laugh.gif

Pshhh, just drive in reverse.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 6, 2017 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Nov 6, 2017 - 4:07 PM) *
That's a weird looking 3SGTE swap...

it's suppose to be a v6.... well technically it's got 6 of something i guess (lights)

I could just leave these in the passenger seat and THROW them at other cars? that would work too....

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 6, 2017 - 8:58 PM) *
De-amber the rear turn and get some of these and a EP35 flasher relay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OGOCSS...=UTF8&psc=1
Bright as hell and with the EP35 flasher no hyper-flash problems running LED turn signals. Those bulbs are kickass in 1157 but you HAVE to run 75ohm of resistor on the power feed to the parking light otherwise they're too bright and the difference between dim and bright isn't strong enough to make a good turn signal and they're so bright on dim mode that they're really really obnoxious at night. Like super bad.

Honestly a 1MZ 6th gen GT sounds like a really nice car to have, even I'd enjoy one and I'm a 4 banger fan-boi.

we'll see how bored i get this winter.
and yeah a v6 is sounding more and more the way I might go.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 6, 2017 - 9:47 PM) *

Pshhh, just drive in reverse.

If I learned anything from Fast n Furious, it's that reverse is only 800 gears away from first so that might be an issue.

This post has been edited by cheela: Nov 6, 2017 - 11:08 PM

--------------------

post Mar 23, 2018 - 8:52 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Big things in store this year. Hope it all goes well.

but for the time being, lets see how my greenie looks with gt-four risers. I got these for a steal on fleabay and decided to test them out. I gotta say, they don't look too bad but definitely don't fit my current style. So now I got euro risers for this one (if I ever paint them) and the gt-four risers will go on freelica. pics of it on freelica are in the project thread.

but it will stay spoilerless for a bit until I can score another 2 post spoiler. My current spoiler is going on freelica since it's black and matches freelica so that's one less spoiler to repaint. lol

--------------------

post Mar 23, 2018 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

1 vote for no wing.
post Mar 23, 2018 - 1:56 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

well your vote is currently winning as it's got no wing right now. I actually quite like it with no wing or a duckbill but the only thing is there's like 7 holes in my hatch and a bunch of gunk stuck on it and it just doesn't look good when you get up close and see.

--------------------

post Mar 23, 2018 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I vote Euro risers cause they be teh smexy.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

39 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:16 AM