6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '98 Celica GT: The Continuation...., Dun dun duuuunnnnnn.....
post Jul 13, 2018 - 11:38 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Look who finally came home! He even brought a friend!

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Aug 7, 2018 - 10:59 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

bump! still waiting for floor mat pick chars...

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Aug 8, 2018 - 7:56 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

in car or out of car? I'm gonna make a run down to the car in a couple of weeks.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Aug 8, 2018 - 8:31 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

both

--------------------

post Aug 8, 2018 - 9:01 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

I'll grab pics tonight when I get home.

Also picked up the premium 8-speaker door panels as well along with the associated 4" speakers. They were in a lot better condition that I expected. Ordered the new upper window seal to replace the damaged ones and then just need to glue down that little flap of vinyl from the door insert. Should be good as new after that.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Aug 9, 2018 - 12:36 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

dang! you actually found some? I haven't even seen any on celicas for sale on craigslist that have them anymore. Even on ebay, they're charging $200+ for regular panels. lol

--------------------

post Aug 9, 2018 - 1:34 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

yeah. I found them on ebay. I think I may have showed them to you. unfortunately, the seller was selling the speakers separate from the panels, but eBay had a 20% coupon at the time, so I scooped them up.

I found a junk yard somewhere in the northeast that had a convertible with the door panels, but it was a pain in the dick to get them to send me better pics, so I said screw it and got these instead. I'm not complaining though. My current panels in the car are pretty minty, too, from last I remembered anyways. lolol

I still need to get pics of the mats. They're buried under stuff in the garage right now from the move and we're still trying to unpack and organize. Waiting to get kitchen counter tops done and figure out what the duck is going on with Comcast to set up our interwebs cuz our receiver box behind the house is damaged and someone from the city has to come out to fix it. In good ole Comcast fashion, they're not communicating properly with the city to get it set-up cuz someone was supposed to be by the house yesterday to fix it according to Comcast, but the city has no record of that request being put in. :\

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Aug 9, 2018 - 1:47 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

nice! even 6gc parts are getting rare these days. Miss the good ol days when EVERYONE had 8 speaker panels for sale.

and I have yet to hear a single good thing about comcast. good luck.

--------------------

post Sep 7, 2018 - 7:53 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

ordered S51 5th gear set to install and uh.....that's about it. Should be here by mid-September.

Surgery on the car was supposed to start this week, but probably gonna end up being pushed back to next week. Gonna head down to the shop on Tuesday after work to check on progress and lend a hand if needed.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Oct 3, 2018 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Soo....some stuff came in...

One of these finally popped up and I am super happy to have snagged it.

I don't quite like the A-pillar gauge pod set-up. While it's kinda neat, it's not my cup o' tea. Now if I can find the single pod, I'd be happy. If someone happens to have one for sale, lemme know!

It took a little while to get here from Japan, but my S51 5th (driven) gear came in along with 4 quarts of Redline MT-90 that I snagged off of Amazon.

Old floor mats

new ones from Lloyd's Ultimat line:

my dumbass thought the smoke colour would have been dark enough since that's what I had read somewhere, but I guess not. Should've just ordered black. Oh well. I'll just paint'em black with some fabric paint or something. I just need to pick up a set of OEM floor mat hooks and they'll be good to go. They fit really well and are super plush. All the more reason to drive bare foot again.... after I get rid of the aluminum pedal covers that are currently in the car....

The hybrid SouthBend Stage 2 Endurance clutch I ordered from PrimeDriven along with the ARP flywheel bolts and OEM pressure plate bolts came in. I'd say the clutch is rated to about 400ft-lb of torque or so. Should be plenty of head room for whatever shenanigans I may plan on getting into in the future.

Hopefully the pedal feel for this clutch isn't as heavy as the current Spec Stage 2 that's in the car. (Left) Leg Day e'ryday in a car that's supposed to be a daily driver isn't fun especially in traffic. The Stage 3 Endurance I have in the Supra is a dream to drive on as it feels close to stock pedal and is rated for about 675ft-lb, so hopefully the Stage 2 Endurance doesn't disappoint.

and then these sumbitches came in as well:

Figured since the cams are coming off anyways for the valve stem seals, let's have some fun and get some slightly bigger cams! These ended up being cheaper than I expected (compared to the 2JZ-GTE variants that I'm eyeballing for the Supra) and having that 15% off eBay coupon really helped seal the deal.

Even though the stock valve springs can be utilized with these, I've debated getting the matching valve springs from GSC to go with these just to be on the safe side, but budget constraints says no...for now... I may change my mind about them later if I find a money tree or something. Maybe shimless buckets, too.... #RevToTheMoon

I have a little time to decide since my friend is wrapping up another customer's car right now after the customer decided to finally start work on his car after a year of waiting. Hopefully there aren't any more hiccups and my car is up on the lift by week's end. Hoping the car will be ready by the time I get back from SEMA.

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Oct 3, 2018 - 7:50 AM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Oct 3, 2018 - 4:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I like your bump stick, though I'm not sure on it being painted/coated? Or is that just the lighting making it look that way?

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 3, 2018 - 4:33 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Also get new springs and lifters while you're at it, doesn't make sense to skimp and wipe the engine. At the very least o.e. replacement springs if they say o.e. is fine, then of course lifters could be ok and could just need new shims. Would just have to look at everything closely and measure specs to be sure.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 3, 2018 - 7:48 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

..yeah....you're probably right.... I put in a quote request with Real Street for a set... lol

oi....

They're billet cams, so i'm not sure what coating/finish they put on the cams.

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Oct 3, 2018 - 7:54 PM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Oct 4, 2018 - 4:43 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I know it sucks having to spend more money than you really want to, but it's one of those things where trying to save a little money can cost you a lot more. Valve float isn't fun or delicious like soda floats. IF the engine was really low miles then might could consider reusing the springs, but I know with a lot of engines(even performance ones) even the slightest of cam upgrades require stiffer valve springs.

After thinking about it, it's probably a nitride coating that I've seen being offered by some others before. Helps with reducing wear and friction, all that jazz.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 4, 2018 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

FINALLY! pictures of the floor mats!

--------------------

post Oct 4, 2018 - 9:33 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 4, 2018 - 4:43 AM) *
I know it sucks having to spend more money than you really want to, but it's one of those things where trying to save a little money can cost you a lot more. Valve float isn't fun or delicious like soda floats. IF the engine was really low miles then might could consider reusing the springs, but I know with a lot of engines(even performance ones) even the slightest of cam upgrades require stiffer valve springs.

After thinking about it, it's probably a nitride coating that I've seen being offered by some others before. Helps with reducing wear and friction, all that jazz.

Yeah. I'm just looking at it like, "¿POR QUE, MARIA?!" and then proceed to empty out my wallet like a general store during an old western robbery heist. :\ Oh well. hopefully it's worth it.

Trying to line up a tuna who will touch MegaSquirt PnP. I messaged 2 shops and they basically refused to touch it stating that the ECU is inconsistent. I'm hoping this one other guy in town is willing to take a stab at it cuz he's also who I'm considering bringing my Supra to when I drop the AEM Infinity box into it.

QUOTE (cheela @ Oct 4, 2018 - 8:55 AM) *
FINALLY! pictures of the floor mats!

I know, right? It threw me off when I opened the box and saw the mats because they weren't the color I was expecting and the shape of the mats seemed off. Thought they sent me the ones for the wrong car and colour until I fitted them in. I just ordered the wrong colour. They're definitely worth the buy. You'll just have to find a way to anchor down the passenger mat to keep it from sliding around since they don't have the little cleats. My solution for the one in the Supra was to glue on some velcro straps to the underside of the mats. Working fine so far. Kinda wanna order new seat bolts now cuz the current ones in the car are a bit... ugly...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Oct 4, 2018 - 10:11 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

...aaaaaaannnnnndddddd..... valve springs have been ordered. Should be here Monday or Tuesday if it's anything like the cams as far as shipping goes.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Oct 4, 2018 - 10:35 AM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Oct 4, 2018 - 10:11 AM) *
...aaaaaaannnnnndddddd..... valve springs have been ordered. Should be here Monday or Tuesday if it's anything like the cams as far as shipping goes.

You'll be glad you got them if you spend a decent amount of time at the upper RPM range. My last race engine looked beat-down after only 700 miles with a cam and just single HD springs. We had to tear down due to a bad rod bearing and all the valves had already beaten the seats and valve lips like it had 100K miles on it. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had used stock springs. Rebuild ended up with dual springs to combat the high RPM float.
-Jon
post Oct 4, 2018 - 10:56 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

started looking at adjustable cam gears as well to pair up with the cams per this thread over at SupraForums. I always thought adjustable cam gears were a gimmick, but I guess having the right parts to work with them actually bring out the benefits of them. From reading the first page of the thread, looks like pairing them up and degreeing them properly gives you the full benefits of the higher lift cams, but you don't get that lope you typically get with a bigger cam, so you get a smooth, stock-like idle.

Do I send it and get the adjustable cam gears and shimless buckets, too? Buckets would require a bit of extra work to sit there and measure all 16 buckets, but the 2J guys have recorded a savings of about 12 ounces in weight when changing to shimless buckets, so I'd assume I'd save about 9 ounces of weight or so going shimless. In theory, that should allow me to rev a little faster and bump up redline a little further up as well.... I think... Seems like a reasonable exchange...

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Oct 4, 2018 - 11:19 AM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Oct 4, 2018 - 3:09 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Sweet jebus! after asking a few shops, found one willing to fondle MegaSquirt's balls with some dyno time, so that's one less thing for me to worry about when this build is done and glued together.

QUOTE (Roodwerks @ Oct 4, 2018 - 10:35 AM) *
You'll be glad you got them if you spend a decent amount of time at the upper RPM range. My last race engine looked beat-down after only 700 miles with a cam and just single HD springs. We had to tear down due to a bad rod bearing and all the valves had already beaten the seats and valve lips like it had 100K miles on it. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had used stock springs. Rebuild ended up with dual springs to combat the high RPM float.
-Jon

I don't plan to be in the upper RPM range quite often since the car will be serving daily driver duties once it's back on the road. I got GSC's basic valve springs, so I'm hoping that should be ok with the S1 cams as their conical springs were out of budget... Honestly...these cams and valves were already out of budget.... lol #SendIt

I would like to take it on some HPD events once I get the old, worn suspension sorted out though. Were you doing a lot of track days?

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Oct 4, 2018 - 3:10 PM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

15 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:36 PM