> Dismantling side mirrors?, Want to prep for painting
post Jun 22, 2011 - 12:38 AM
+Quote Post
m4dm4n

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '10
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

Has anyone here managed to dismantle the side mirrors (specifically the jap spec folders) without busting glass or breaking other bits? I want to pop out the mirrors from the housing, and possible remove the housing from the swivel base so I can paint my awkwardly colour mismatched mirrors. Blue on yellow doesn't look too hot.

In addition to this, does anyone here have some good advice for stripping the current paint from these so I can paint from undercoat through to clear coat?
post Jun 22, 2011 - 1:27 AM
+Quote Post
SupraKid

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From The Best Coast
Currently Offline

To get the glass out use a hairdryer or heat gun to heat up the glass and slowly pry it off(its just glued on) As fast as separating the 2 parts there are 3 screws on the bottom, undo those and feed the harness through an your good to go!
post Jun 22, 2011 - 3:01 AM
+Quote Post
cax_11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From Nevis, West Indies
Currently Offline

QUOTE (m4dm4n @ Jun 22, 2011 - 12:38 AM) *
Has anyone here managed to dismantle the side mirrors (specifically the jap spec folders) without busting glass or breaking other bits? I want to pop out the mirrors from the housing, and possible remove the housing from the swivel base so I can paint my awkwardly colour mismatched mirrors. Blue on yellow doesn't look too hot.

In addition to this, does anyone here have some good advice for stripping the current paint from these so I can paint from undercoat through to clear coat?

get two small flat screw drivers, and carefully place both between the glass and the housing at the bottom, pry outwards applying pressure evenly, it will pop out, then you just pull down and its out, its pretty easy actually biggrin.gif .. So the bottom pry outwards and the top pulls downwards after the bottom pops out.

--------------------
1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205 Turbo 4WD, Black
Nevis, West Indies
post Jun 22, 2011 - 7:17 PM
+Quote Post
m4dm4n

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '10
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

awesome thanks guys I'll give that a go on the weekend
post Jun 22, 2011 - 8:16 PM
+Quote Post
mgnt232

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 16, '09
From New York
Currently Offline

do you really need to dismantle them though? why not just cover the mirror part? and paint

--------------------
I've spilt my heart into this car :) And I don't ever plan to stop

- 6GC for Life -
>Semper Fi<

1994 Cupra :p 3sgte
1995 Celica ST DD
1969 Chevelle SS

alllll balls. P2 approved!
post Jun 22, 2011 - 9:17 PM
+Quote Post
SupraKid

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From The Best Coast
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cax_11 @ Jun 22, 2011 - 1:01 AM) *
QUOTE (m4dm4n @ Jun 22, 2011 - 12:38 AM) *

get two small flat screw drivers, and carefully place both between the glass and the housing at the bottom, pry outwards applying pressure evenly, it will pop out, then you just pull down and its out, its pretty easy actually biggrin.gif .. So the bottom pry outwards and the top pulls downwards after the bottom pops out.

But heat them up first, or it may break the mirror. Also youll need something to reattach them with.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 12:07 AM