6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Clutch Master Cylinder, Which one is it?
post Feb 14, 2012 - 5:47 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

Are there two types of clutch master cylinders for my 94 2.2L Celica GT? I converted my car to manual back in 2009 and my generic clutch master brand is about to give out. I'm running 3sgte light flywheel and clutch from Competition Clutch. sometimes it gets stuck and i have to pick it up by hand and pump it, fluid is slightly lower than full, and fluid is hella dirty, looks like an internal seal leak to me. Plan to buy an OEM one. I've seen online on toyota sites - two kinds of masters though, 1 that goes up with a long neck reservoir (i have this type) and the other one looks like a typical one with a long cylinder and stubby reservoir. I cannot just put my VIN in because my VIN is for automatic. so when I use toyodiy for the part number i get the stubby one on the toyota site, I want to be sure what I'm getting because I do not know for sure if thats just an illustration because i have the longer neck type. BTW, I've also seen the stubby ones as well for sale so thats why i think there are two.

Are there any performance clutch master cylinder and slave for our cars?

This post has been edited by trdproven: Feb 14, 2012 - 5:49 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Feb 14, 2012 - 5:57 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

performance? none that i know of. as far as i know there is only 1 style of master cylinder in the 6th gen. the parts guy shouldnt be having this much trouble

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Feb 14, 2012 - 6:15 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

i know the ones with the long neck are for LHD and the stubbier reservoir ones are for RHD.
iirc, the difference in the shape of the clutch reservoirs has something to do with the wiper motor location.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Feb 14, 2012 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

If its the GT its the long neck atleast here in US, just swapped the STs master to the GT master
post Feb 14, 2012 - 7:23 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

ok so the toyota site is just for illustration purposes, usually the pics are pretty close though.

you guys all make a point, thanks again.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Feb 14, 2012 - 11:47 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

found out that my slave cylinder crapped out, its leaking when pumping. i guess then what is the part number for toyota for the slave? I think it may be called something else cus toyodiy does not have it, it has to be called something else.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Feb 14, 2012 - 11:59 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

i guess 1sttoyotaparts only has 1 kind, that should be it.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Feb 15, 2012 - 2:02 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

why don't you just buy the rebuild kit for the master clutch cylinder. its like $27. The whole assembly for the new one will run you well over $110.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 15, 2012 - 10:04 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

^^^ dont need a master, its the salve that crapped out. Its called the release cylinder

http://www.toyotapartseast.com/components/...1-05-10763.html

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Feb 15, 2012 - 11:38 AM
+Quote Post
bigb1970

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '10
Currently Offline

I have seen these leaking before..
post Feb 15, 2012 - 12:30 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

there's a write up on how to rebuild your slave cylinder on another celica forum

really??!! ^ whats the difference between the two. I am having the same issue right now...

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 15, 2012 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

the master is mounted on the firewall behind the shock tower, and the slave is mounted in front of the tranny.

--------------------
post Feb 16, 2012 - 12:41 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

no azain of course I know that ^^^^^ laugh.gif laugh.gif

functionality wise....

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Mar 22, 2012 - 4:49 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

alright so I'm looking for a clutch master cylinder here :

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=clutch master cylinder

but whats a good brand?? oem is like $110 plus shipping...

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Mar 22, 2012 - 6:17 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

I already replaced it a while ago, its all good now.

But to answer your question, I do not like rebuild kits, they fail at a higher rate earlier than new parts. and especially for a slave a brand new one is so close to a repair kit cost, it would be crazy to rebuild it. in fact auto stores here are stopping the sale of repair kits due to their unreliability or accuracy. sometimes with the repair kits the slave bore does not fit the rebuild piston or vice versa, at least thats what I've noticed.

I used an OEM slave this time, works like a charm.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Mar 22, 2012 - 9:47 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Apr 9, 2012 - 5:52 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

so I'm having issues right now. about 7,000 miles ago my clutch was sticking and and bled out some air from the slave cylinder. I also replaced the clutch master cylinder with new dot 4 brake fluid.

Now I'm getting that issue every once in a while, where it'll be super hard to get into reverse and when I want to take it out of reverse the clutch will stick to the floor.

Also, I can't shift into 2nd gear and 4th gear when doing Wide open throttle (to 7k rpm) all the way through 1-4th gear. It just goes into nuetral when I press the clutch to shift into either 2nd or 4th gear.

most likely my slave cylinder??

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Apr 9, 2012 - 5:57 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

First make sure no air is in the system (as any hydraulic system)

make sure slave is not leaking pull back boot and pump and check for leaks. Good sign of sinking clutch pedal is a slave.

Master cylinder good way to tell its bad is pump and look at the slave to see if its moving. also if you have overflow on the reservoir is another good sign. I've seen a bad master where getting into gears is tough, but it wasn't with a sinking pedal, it was just a weak pedal, it would come back up but the pressure is not strong when you press the pedal. GL

This post has been edited by trdproven: Apr 9, 2012 - 5:58 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Apr 10, 2012 - 8:12 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Definately make sure that fork on the trannie attached to the slave is moving nicely. Should move about 2-3 inches if I recall correctly.

The not being able to shift at high rpms sounds odd. Have you checked your trannie fluid recently? Also when you filled it what did you put in? I recently put to heavy of a weight in mine and it caused it to be very difficult to shift into certain gears, and impossible at high RPMs. Once I put the correct oil in, it worked like a charm. Is it making a whurring noise when the clutch is released?

Oh yea, pedal sticking down sounds just like air in the line. Have you bled it properly by sticking a tube on the slave release valve into a jar, or some kinda can with about a inch of fluid to submerge the tube. Thats the 1 man way, 2 man if you have someone inside the car. Press down 10 times, hold on last pump, release pressure. Rinse repeat til solid feeling.

Also check around the clutch rubber line going to the fire wall, well for that matter the hard lines too. Look for any wet spots to point out leaks.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Apr 10, 2012 - 8:15 AM
post Apr 10, 2012 - 8:20 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

theres only a few things to check of course leaks and no air, master and slave. thats about it. I've seen other issues where the pedal assembly is broken and cannot push well. or the pedal adjustment.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Apr 10, 2012 - 8:21 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Apr 11, 2012 - 12:00 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

thanks for the info guys!!! this should be stickied!!??

I changed my transmission fluid to penzoil syncromesh about 11 months ago

yes I did this 8 months ago "Oh yea, pedal sticking down sounds just like air in the line. Have you bled it properly by sticking a tube on the slave release valve into a jar, or some kinda can with about a inch of fluid to submerge the tube. Thats the 1 man way, 2 man if you have someone inside the car. Press down 10 times, hold on last pump, release pressure. Rinse repeat til solid feeling." with my dad...

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Apr 11, 2012 - 3:16 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 3:16 AM