6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 244 245 246 247 248 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Sep 19, 2017 - 1:07 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Sep 18, 2017 - 9:35 PM) *
Box just f***king do something. You can't cherry pick who buys your car.

I'm not going to be responsible for some kid killing himself. Even if I was 100% set on selling the car, I wouldn't sell it to him. This isn't the Celica or some other car where you can be trying to make something bad happen and it never will, you can be driving as careful as possible and it'll still want to get away from you at times. It's not a car for the inexperienced and certainly not for someone who just totaled a Miata because he couldn't even handle that.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 19, 2017 - 6:16 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Have I said how much I love Amazon Prime lately, got two Centric front rotors for $21 and some change shipped. Now just need to get a rear set and I already have some pads that've been sitting around waiting to go on, so the Firebird will have brand new brakes.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 20, 2017 - 10:31 AM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

Damn I would of sold it. And gotten something I really wanted. Hopefully that perfect car jumps out at you soon.
post Sep 20, 2017 - 11:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Lol. I'd get rid of it. But box is box

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Sep 20, 2017 - 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Sep 20, 2017 - 12:40 PM) *
Lol. I'd get rid of it. But box is box

^

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Sep 20, 2017 - 5:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You guys could seriously in good conscious sell a car to someone that isn't capable of handling it?

Anyhow after driving the Genesis again and my brother driving the Firebird it's more an issue of size and weight that I'm unhappy with than it is the solid axle. The Firebird isn't all that heavy all things considered, was only about 65 pounds heavier than the Genesis stock but with the sound insulation and sound system my brother added they're probably close to dead even on weight now if not the Genesis being heavier. The size of the Genesis is a little better though, and you can actually see the fender edges which helps with placing the car. Still you can just feel the weight, even with coil-overs and even though the handling capability is there. So that tells me kind of what I already figured, need a smaller and lighter car. So that rules out stuff like the Z cars, SC300, Corvette, etc... Maybe a 240SX would be light enough but it's only about 500 pounds lighter than the Firebird, otherwise looking at a Miata or MR2/MR-S that're pretty much useless as cars. So I dunno.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 20, 2017 - 6:26 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

My solution was to have two cars.

--------------------
post Sep 20, 2017 - 6:28 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

I always gauge who is purchasing my vehciles, but when I get above asking price or asking price for my vehicle, I forget everything. When I was 18 I purchased 96 Cobra with a salvage title, the owner was like you didn’t wanna sell it to me since I was to young for his liking. Mind you, I’ve driven vehicles my late father and I used to build, so 500hp at 16 was a huge deal but I was taught not to be a a$$ hat driving them. So I waited a couple weeks and it was still on the market, had my older cousin go and purchase the vehicle for $800 cheaper than the original price. So I ended up with my mustang and the guy ended up with his money, win win. Yes I know this is completely different because you do not know the kids back ground but In this current economy, when some has over 5k cash for a vehicle you kinda got to jump on it ASAP

But In reality I think you need another miata or a boosted 6gen. A perfect one just came up for sale for 4500.

QUOTE (Box @ Sep 20, 2017 - 6:12 PM) *
You guys could seriously in good conscious sell a car to someone that isn't capable of handling it?

Anyhow after driving the Genesis again and my brother driving the Firebird it's more an issue of size and weight that I'm unhappy with than it is the solid axle. The Firebird isn't all that heavy all things considered, was only about 65 pounds heavier than the Genesis stock but with the sound insulation and sound system my brother added they're probably close to dead even on weight now if not the Genesis being heavier. The size of the Genesis is a little better though, and you can actually see the fender edges which helps with placing the car. Still you can just feel the weight, even with coil-overs and even though the handling capability is there. So that tells me kind of what I already figured, need a smaller and lighter car. So that rules out stuff like the Z cars, SC300, Corvette, etc... Maybe a 240SX would be light enough but it's only about 500 pounds lighter than the Firebird, otherwise looking at a Miata or MR2/MR-S that're pretty much useless as cars. So I dunno.

This post has been edited by ClevelandGaint: Sep 20, 2017 - 6:31 PM
post Sep 20, 2017 - 7:15 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Sep 20, 2017 - 6:12 PM) *

I could. What happens after a deal is done is not my fault. I'm not his parents or his family so I have no obligation to teach him. If he wants to go act like an idiot and go kill himself in it then he made that choice. You're turning your indecesivness into some sort of morality battle. You can go on all god d*** day about the specs of each car again and how you hate the solid axle but that puts you no closer to actually doing anything. Please do something, sell it or keep it and upgrade it.

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Sep 20, 2017 - 7:47 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's not the age, it's the fact that not even two weeks ago he totaled a Miata because he couldn't handle that and now he wants something much more difficult to control. I don't want to see anything bad happen to the car, or worse. Sure it's entirely on him and his actions and his dad for being stupid enough to buy it in the first place, but me selling it makes me an enabler. If he gave some kind of semblance that he was a responsible driver and cared about the car then maybe I'd sell it, but telling me how you totaled your Miata and be like "lol my bad" about it isn't doing any favours. Like the kid I sold the Celica to really wanted it and I was still seeing it every now and then just as I sold it before moving, that made it a lot easier to sell it knowing it was going to someone that'd love it as I did. Yes the Firebird pisses me off at times, it's not exactly what I want, and there are things I absolutely hate about it; but I still love it and care about what happens to it. Same went for the Celica.

Anyway I've decided to keep it and finish up the brakes and suspension for the time being. I ordered the front rotors yesterday and I've been looking around for the rear, thinking RockAuto will be the cheapest and I'll throw in some Denso TT spark plugs while I'm at it since no added cost to shipping. Been trying to find some lowering springs used and get some KONI STR.T shocks for the front, if not I'll just do the shocks and the "hose mod" for the rear springs to level out the suspension some.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 20, 2017 - 6:26 PM) *
My solution was to have two cars.

Yeah I know, after finishing up the Firebird I'm thinking instead of modding it just save up for a NA6 Miata since those can still be gotten for cheap.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 21, 2017 - 4:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Sep 20, 2017 - 5:12 PM) *

So i would not sell my house because im afraid the future owner would not pay mortgage..

I would not talk to the customer kicking tires because im afraid he does not have means to buy a new car..

I would not taste the cake because im afraid it would not be as good as I want to.. Once i sell the car is because I dont care for it. What happens after that is just destiny. I care about my celica, hence not sold. the only car that ive had for almost 12 years...

Its not for me to decide. He may just want to resell it, or buy if for his brother or dad.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Sep 21, 2017 - 9:31 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

If the buyer has cash in hand, I'd sell anything (if the price is right).

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Sep 21, 2017 - 10:04 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

They're an adult. They have the money, they can have the car.

If they play stupid games after buying, they deserve stupid prizes.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Sep 21, 2017 - 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It was the dad buying the car for the kid, anyway I'm sure they've found something else by now.

Anyway after extensive thinking it's probably for the best to keep the Firebird. My brother said it drives well and stock for stock was just as good as the Genesis, he said as far as the solid axle goes he didn't feel anything inherently bad about it just that it felt different. Which now that he works for Alfa Romeo/Fiat/Maserati he gets to drive some nice handling cars and he said even against them it wasn't bad. Of course he could've just been being nice and saying things to keep me from wanting to sell it. The size and weight are the biggest issues, it just doesn't feel playful or that you can sling it around with reckless abandon. That's what I miss about the Celica and Miata the most. Perhaps thinking of it as a grand tourer and not as a sports car would be the best way to go about it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 21, 2017 - 8:16 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

so it was going to be the dads responsibility. Accept defeat. You love the car, stop hating it. Mod it or sell it.. other wise ban hammer...

--------------------

post Sep 21, 2017 - 8:21 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

Hey Box wanna 914? It's like Miata but mid engine. No live axle

This post has been edited by 1994Celica: Sep 21, 2017 - 8:21 PM

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Sep 21, 2017 - 10:56 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Love and hate can coexist, in fact Def Leppard has a song about such so it must be true. I ordered the front rotors, but apparently they're being delayed on shipping for whatever reason. Was trying to decide if I want to kill myself changing spark plugs or not before ordering the rear rotors off RockAuto since the plugs don't change the cost of shipping. In all honesty probably should even though they've been replaced at some point and it seems to run fine, I imagine the Denso TT plugs will work better than the ACDelco ones that're in it even putting new vs old aside. Have been researching also what're the best shocks and of course everyone says the $300 a piece KONI Sport, but apparently the $80 a piece KONI STR.T are the best budget minded option. Still really can't decide on lowering springs, or if I should just stay with the factory springs to maintain ride comfort.

Hmm, the 914 is air cooled so that makes it an ok German car I think.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 22, 2017 - 1:23 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Lets play a game...

A. talks about selling in in 6 months or less

njccmd2002

B. Talks about selling it in after 6 months

C. Decides to keep it, but....

--------------------

post Sep 22, 2017 - 6:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just bought some rubber axle snubbers, right under $7 shipped for the pair. Since the factory foam ones are long gone and the polyurethane ones are too firm and cause handling problems if the axle bumps into them, that and these rubber ones were like a fourth of the price. Will keep the axle from traveling too far and blowing the shocks, which at the moment I don't think it's a problem but if I do the "hose mod" or lowering springs it could become a problem.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 22, 2017 - 6:44 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

does it have a sway bar in the rear?

--------------------

400 Pages V  « < 244 245 246 247 248 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:23 PM