> Finally brought my Supra home!, '97 TT 6 speed
post Jul 21, 2017 - 10:34 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

And so it begins... Some friends of mine might have some parts up for sale soon.... if you're interested.... lol

Was the SSQV included?

I haven't had overheating issues and I live down in satan's armpit. Was 105* yesterday with 80% humidity. Running a 4-row Mishimoto intercooler and 3-row Mishimoto radiator with the OEM clutch fan. The old, paper-thin, NA radiator would overheat. lol

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jul 21, 2017 - 10:43 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I'm poor and you know it! What are they selling though?

It's a Turbosmart Supersonic. It was included in the deal but I can't use it since I still have a MAF. I know some people do anyway but I'd rather not deal with stalling. I have to keep the BOV on the piping though, so you already know how many people I'll get checking the engine out and going like "whoa, a BOV!" and not even notice there's no vacuum line on it.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jul 21, 2017 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

But if you hook up the BOV, will it shoot flames?

That's what we love about Stacy's car.... smile.gif

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jul 21, 2017 - 11:32 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I've read online that it might. Apparently if I use this BOV instead of the stock recirc valve, I'll just dump fuel if I let off after apull (which I already knew) but reading on SupraForums makes it sound like I'll probably shoot fireballs and stall if I let off quickly after doing a pull.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jul 21, 2017 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

I shoot fireballs and stall...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jul 21, 2017 - 2:08 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

NICE BOV BRUH

--------------------
post Jul 21, 2017 - 6:41 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Shooting fireballs and stalling isn't winning.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 12, 2017 - 11:40 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Teeny tiny update, I had to hook up the atmospheric BOV. I was hoping the spring would be strong enough to keep it closed so it would act like a block off plate but no such luck. It was just acting like a massive boost leak over 10 psi. I left the stock recirc valve hooked up as well so I’m not losing all of my metered air, avoiding any stalling. Still runs a bit rich momentarily but no fireballs or stalling.

I also bought new hardware to replace the rusty 20 year old bolts in the engine bay. I never have been the type to really show off the engine bay or care how it looks (as evidenced by the fact that it’s akwats dirty) but I figured if I’m replacing bolts, I may as well get something decent. I may go back and replace the finishing washers later but I’ll probably be too lazy and cheap. I also replaced all of the cheap hose clamps on my IC piping with much better clamps but the lighting in my new garage sucks for trying to get pictures. I’ll probavly add more lights this weekend.

Old vs new:

I also had to wet sand and buff most of the hood tonight. There were a few spots that got etched into the paint over the last couple of months. The bigger spots will be there forever but at least they’re a lot less noticeable now.

Gratuitous pics just because I can!

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 13, 2017 - 3:23 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

hook up some led shop lights in that garage. I love mine but only lit up half of my garage due to $$, still gotta get a few more to light up the other half. I got linkable ones so it's awesome, just plug it into the previous ones and mount. biggrin.gif

the 6p3 still shines nice. I just wash/claybar/waxed mine the other day and forgot how metallic it was biggrin.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Sep 13, 2017 - 3:45 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Nobody likes a show off.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 21, 2018 - 7:17 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Finally a decent update. Over the winter, I took the time to clean up some rust under the car, install new bushings in the rear lower control arms, and spray new undercoating.

Yuck! Cleaned and coated in POR15 now.

New undercoating:

Brakes repainted:

Replacing some silicone couplers, testing for boost leaks, and fitting the bumper a little better:

Back in November, I bought a set of Volk TE37SL’s, 18x9 and 18x10. Got a good deal on them from MVP Motorsports. Unsurprisingly, the size I needed was not in stock in the United States, so the warehouse in California had to place an order to the warehouse in Japan, who were also out of stock. Unfortunately this meant that I would have to wait until the next production run. Not the news I wanted to hear, of course, but patience is a virtue and it’s not like I was really planning to drive the car through the winter. Of course we had a mild winter here so there were really only a couple of days it needed to be tucked away in the garage but it’s not a bad thing to keep the miles off of it.

While the car was parked, I got my front lip swapped out for the Wings West style lip. It’s just a generic copy but fitment and quality are still decent.

Factory lip:

New lip, potato pic:

April 14th, my order finally arrived. Well, most of it anyway... three of the four wheels arrived. Mildly annoying to wait for nearly five months for a set of wheels only to have one be forgotten on the UPS truck. Fortunately the mistake was fixed a couple of days later and I finally had my Volks.

Of course, no wheel purchase would be complete without new rubber. Went with Continental Extremecontact Sports, 255/35 front and 275/35 rear.

After only 12,000 miles, the old rear tires were definitely worn. The stock alignment already wears the tires a bit on the inside, and I don’t know when the car was aligned last before I had it done last summer. So needless to say, it was definitely time for new tires.

New tires mounted, ready to mount on the car:

Last pics of the stock wheels:

Tater pic, OEM wheel and tire weight vs new weight (front, 17x8.5/235/45 vs 18x9/255/35):

Pics of the wheels mounted:

Fitment is more aggressive than I expected, shouldn’t be an issue though:

I was torn on the decals but I decided to go ahead and put them on:

Hopefully some real pictures coming later. Gotta wash the car and play with the new camera lens.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 21, 2018 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

And that'll be the last time all the stickers line up together. You'll be A LOT happier on the Conti's than the BFG's, those particular BFG suck ass, had them on the Celi and they were nothing but noisy and harsh with way less grip than expected. The Z2's which by all means should be a rougher louder tire are smoother and quieter, those Conti will be even better! That particular tire looks very similar to the DW, I wonder if it's just a re-make of the design and they're phasing the DW out?

--------------------
post Apr 21, 2018 - 8:05 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Should've went all out and bought Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, because why not at this point.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 21, 2018 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Nah, BFG Rival or Z2 Starspec (or some Hoosier slicks cause **** it).

--------------------
post Apr 21, 2018 - 8:52 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You're right. That or some Toyo R888 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, or go big and use cheater slicks ala Toyo Proxes RR. Need $1,200-1,500 in tires on those rims on that car.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 21, 2018 - 9:10 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 21, 2018 - 6:43 PM) *
And that'll be the last time all the stickers line up together. You'll be A LOT happier on the Conti's than the BFG's, those particular BFG suck ass, had them on the Celi and they were nothing but noisy and harsh with way less grip than expected. The Z2's which by all means should be a rougher louder tire are smoother and quieter, those Conti will be even better! That particular tire looks very similar to the DW, I wonder if it's just a re-make of the design and they're phasing the DW out

I’ve actually had pretty good grip with them, but I’ll never argue that they’ve been the quietest tire I’ve owned. Then again I doubt if I’ve pushed the Supra through corners as hard as you’ve pushed your Celica. The Extremecontact Sports are exactly that- improved DW’s and the DW is being phased out. These have more emphasis on dry grip than the DW, and are intended to be a lower price alternative to the Michelin PSS but I’ve noticed none of the reviews actually tested it against the PSS. That said, they did seem to outperform a lot of other summer tires so I think I’ll be happy with them. I’m glad you think I’ll like them as I’ve never had a set of Continentals and I like to stick to what I know. Alex said he’s happy with his DW’s so I think these will do the job, especially given the lower power up here.

QUOTE (Box @ Apr 21, 2018 - 7:05 PM) *
Should've went all out and bought Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, because why not at this point.

Welllllll......... I was gonna. I wanted a set of PSS, and I got a nice bonus right as I was buying the tires. I didn’t know that the P4S is replacing the PSS until I was ready to buy, so I added the P4S to my cart. Then the CFO intervened and I had to get something less expensive. She’s already not happy that I bought summer tires over all seasons, like I plan on driving it in the mountains every time there’s double digit snowfall.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 21, 2018 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You don't drive a Supra in the Winter anyway.*

*Unless you live in the deep south or mid-west where Winter means 50°.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 21, 2018 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

Meh.

Jk, TE37s can make almost any Japan car look good.
post Apr 22, 2018 - 12:08 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I think you'll really enjoy how the car rides with the Conti on it, it may be a performance tire but they put some effort into it being a nice riding performance tire because they expect some of the higher end Merc, BMW, Audi crowd to ride on them

--------------------
post Apr 22, 2018 - 3:53 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Needs a drop.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:38 AM