> Mkernz22's Progression Thread
post Nov 8, 2014 - 5:01 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Well she's running. Definitely has a vac leak somewhere cause when I rev it up, it comes back down to a low, rough idle around 500 rpm's. If I give it gas and hold it around 1k rpm's for a few seconds, it'll stay there on it's own.

Just have to find that vac leak now!
post Dec 7, 2014 - 7:05 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Well I have the other thread in the off topic for the Alltrac now. Runs fine and pulls hard biggrin.gif

Back to my car again. Going to be buying a gen1 w2a setup for my gen2 engine. It's only going to be pushing the stock HP so it's only 50-60 more HP than the gen1 engine.
It should cool it fine, but if it doesn't I'll just upgrade the heat exchanger for a 3rd gen one.
Reason I'm going this route is that it's going to be a lot cheaper than doing a front mount setup, I mean a lot cheaper.
I just don't want a huge FMIC on my car either, I want it to be discrete.

I'm not building this car anymore than what I'm already planning to do since I have the Alltrac now.
Semi restore:
Suspension and poly bushings
Undercoating
Fix the rear quarter and front subframe mount with new sections
Replace fuel lines
Refurb gas tank
Swap engine

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Dec 7, 2014 - 7:05 PM
post Dec 9, 2014 - 3:31 PM
+Quote Post
Bourne6Gen

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 22, '14
From Bournemouth, UK
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Dec 24, 2010 - 12:14 PM) *
got my key in today from ebay, it looks really nice smile.gif

I have been looking everywhere for one of these, anyone know where i can get hold of one.
post Jan 3, 2015 - 11:52 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

After I get the parts in that I bought, I'm not going to be getting anything else until else until around April or so.
I'll finish up the engine by then, but nothing to completely rave about.

Need to finish buying the gaskets for the timing side of it and then time it.
Going to leave the cam gears stock instead of sending them out to be made into adjustable ones.
Get new plugs for the wiring harness, clean the harness up a bit, and might take out the FCD.
Install timeserts for the manifold studs because there is about 4 that pulled the threads out of the head when I went to take the manifold off...
Unclock the turbo to install a Gen1 W2A setup.

I could do a FMIC, but I'm going for that sleeper look...and I'm getting the setup for a steal soit makes more sense from a financial standpoint.
Also, she's going to be my daily so I won't have to worry about heat soak since I'll be running the pump constantly.

So yeah, that's that. I'll update this again in the Spring.
post Jan 17, 2015 - 4:58 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

I guess you can say it'll sort of be a big change of plans and I'll be starting a new thread once everything goes through.

Though I do have a very strong emotional attachment to my car from all the time, energy, and work I've put into her, in a couple months we'll be parting ways. I've been wanting to cure the cancer in the coming year, but it's just getting to be too much. I could still try, but the work to do it would be way too much. I have a new subframe mount for the front, rear quarter for the rotted drivers side, but it's in the seam on the rear wheel wells, among other small areas that's getting to be too much. Unfortunately, come the slightly warmer weather, I will be stripping her down, parting her out, and scrapping her. It hurt and it sucks, but I really don't have any other choice.

Luckily, I won't be out of the Celica game. I'm saving up some money for a bone stock black '94 GT with 127K on her. Putting a deposit down on Monday.
No more BS this and that, crazy f*ckin plans. It's just time to grow up a bit and be realistic.
I have plans, things within reason to make her a very clean daily driver, however, I'm not going to give that away yet wink.gif

Just a slight teaser.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Jan 17, 2015 - 5:01 PM
post Jan 17, 2015 - 8:42 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Rust never sleeps, unless you take everything down to bare metal and start over. It's why I can never move above the Mason Dixon line, anything more than surface rust from a stone chip is inexcusable around here. Seeing some of the cars on here and on other forums of Northern cars they'd be scrap metal here. You made the right choice, just make sure to double check that one in all of the problem areas you have and then buy gratuitous amounts of rust-proofing. You're lucky I'm nowhere near or I'd have to buy it. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 2, 2015 - 9:07 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Things got pushed back a little bit, but picking her up on Wednesday.

Almost had my hands on some low beam projectors, but they got sold before I was able to get any payment info kindasad.gif
I've wanted projectors for soooooooo long frown.gif
post Feb 2, 2015 - 9:17 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Woooo two days.

Boooo no projectors.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 2, 2015 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

so what did you do with all your parts?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Mar 22, 2015 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Exhaust broke and she's done now. New car on the road tomorrow.

post Mar 22, 2015 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Feb 2, 2015 - 10:28 PM) *
so what did you do with all your parts?

I still have all my parts. I have a new car to put them on
post Mar 22, 2015 - 11:31 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

This will be the second to last post for me in this thread.

As of March 9th, 2015, I have owned this car for five years now. Some people don't understand why I have such an emotional attachment to her, only very few do. If you have followed this thread from the start, you'd know how far I've come (despite some of my crazy ideas over the years). This car was much more than just a car to me, it's an accomplishment of things I never thought I could do, things people were surprised I could do on my own, in my driveway. If it wasn't for my first accident and screwing up my front end, I might not have realized my mechanical skills as young as I did. I replaced the front end of my car over the course of a summer, with no prior knowledge of how to work on cars, except doing brakes cause my dad showed me that. Who would have thought some 17 year old kid could replace a radiator support, crash bar, bumper, hood, fenders, and etc? Not my parents, not my neighbors, and hell, I didn't even think I could. That was until I got the help from all you guys. You were my support, my inspiration, and I'm not going to name everyone, but you guys know who you are. Fixing that front end was my introduction to the car world. After that happened, it wasn't even a year later that I did a complete auto to manual swap, with a non abs swap as well. Now I'm going to be taking on an st185 swap this summer as well as beginning a full restoration with the All-Trac.

I've done so much to it over the past five years, and because of how much I've learned from this car, it makes it hurt that much more to let it go. It was my start to all of this. Yeah, it's just a car, but it feels like I'm losing a part of myself because of all the time and energy I have invested in it.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Mar 22, 2015 - 11:41 PM
post Nov 8, 2015 - 6:31 PM
+Quote Post
6gCelicaowner

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 29, '15
From Utah
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 19, 2010 - 5:41 PM) *
i hate curbs!
I was on my way to school and i was almost late so i went around a car and thought i had plenty of room in between the car and the curb...
but no, my back rim hit it, and the car jumped out a little. I got to school and took a look and it wasn't that bad, but i roughed up the lip on half of the rim and the tire had a small 1/8th inch slice in it. no seams showing, thank god. the rubber is still on where the slice it cause it didn't take the whole chunk off so I might just get some black silicone or glue, put it on, and make it look like normal.

I cant believe you would actually think that putting silicone on the side wall of a tire that has been damaged by anything would be a solution!! That tire should have been replaced! The loads under normal driving are bad enough..add kids being all idiotic and driving like they are F1 Pilots add to the stress on tires.Taking cheap short cuts because your broke and dont have the money, or just dont want to properly repair something is just being irresponsible, your risking not only your life , but everyone on the road around you with such repairs. I see in another post that you wrecked your Celica ( 2nd car wreck and were only 17 at the time). That should have been an indicator that your not ready to drive, but to go on and bolt the nose back together and drive the car??? Its welded for a reason...structural integrity!!! If it were a full frame it would be bolted together, but being its a unibody and gains its strength from all parts being WELDED together that car is/was an deathtrap. I cant believe some of the things I see kids do!!!! And dont even start in with "I bet you did stupid stuff when you were a kid, I DID NOT, I learned the proper way!
post Jan 27, 2016 - 8:50 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Oh my god, shut the fcuk up.
It was barely an 1/8th of an inch on the tire being nicked about the size of a dime. It's not like a huge chuck was taken out...

As far as my accidents, yes the first one was my own stupidity because I was drifting around on back roads. Second one, not so much much I hit a sand patch while braking to avoid a car and ended up sliding under it. Being that I was about 17 and a half, yes I was still a little inexperienced because I had only been driving for about a year.

The car handled fine though everything, and I never had an issue. I've seen worse things before lol
If this is that same guy from Facebook, then just drop it.

And trust me, I did learn the proper way, by making mistakes, researching, and learning from others. You're the only person I ever came across that has had an issue with what I did at the time.

If I had the money, if I had the time, I would have done a better job, but I didn't have the money to pay to get it welded back up.

The car is gone far gone so get over it.
post Jan 27, 2016 - 9:16 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Its been a good run Sir, enjoyed watching it all from the start.

GL on the new plans!

32 Pages V  « < 30 31 32
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:01 PM