> Rave's Next Progression Thread, 95 GT Red
post Jan 23, 2012 - 8:13 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well she did fine on her first day to work. Though only a short drive, it gives me plenty of insight on what needs attention.

After the new struts and springs, going to need a good front end alignment. Came apparent after the steering wheel being way off.

Got a grind in 3rd at high RPMs, so granny shifting for right now. Not sure of the cause, be it trans or just the fluid I used. I did not go all out with the synchromesh being I wasn't sure if the tranny itself would be leaking from my tamperings. Its not leaking, but now I'm not sure if the 90w-140 or whatever it was generic jazz is causing that grind. Don't really like the feel of the s54 either, when you shift into the gear it doesn't feel solid like the ST's trannie did. When you hit the gas, the shifter moves back about 1 inch aggressivly, almost like its going to pop out of gear, but doesn't . Stays in just fine. Possibly streched cables?

Tried to repair the clutch rubber line from the firewall to the trannie hardline. Couldn't get the wallside connection off. felt like I was going to break the hard like. So I applied further patch to the rubber line, but that was no dice. Still leaking, but the cluch is working still. So I'm pondering on that one.

AC compressor is sqeaking like crazy, going to be in the market for one of those soon. Some good work done this weekend, much more to go, but I'm determined to get her up to par.

Edit: Oh yea, new brakes all round =P damn did it need'em.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 23, 2012 - 8:23 AM
post Jan 23, 2012 - 12:53 PM
+Quote Post
JasonTX

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 1, '10
From TX
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jan 20, 2012 - 5:48 PM) *
And of course, removal of such ugly decals, and apply the proper one.

Replaced the slave cynlinder as well, just waiting on the lady to get home to help me bleed it.

Possibly take her for a spin this evening, suspension tomorrow if time permits.

glad to see em on. cars comming along good congrats on getting it on the road

peace

-jec

--------------------
JN 3:16
--------------------------------------
post Jan 25, 2012 - 7:43 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Day 3 on the road has yielded some insight on further issues. Thankfully I never got to hooking up my audio system, so I get to hear all the little noises this car is making.

The sqeeking for one is making it difficult to hear other things, but that I'm even questioning if it is the AC compressor, but being that is not working a replacement is otw. I'm thinking it is more the power steering pump, or something in that area. Hopefully not anything under the timing cover. Would not like to pull the engine so soon after a clutch job, but must be done will be done.

The clutch is still weak as can be, but the fork moves a good 2-3 inches and the clutch engages fine. Even have good slip/grip ratio. Not sure hwo to explain that further....either or, I hear a whurrrring noise when I would let go of the clutch. It would appear to be coming from the master cylinder. IIRC, the ST and GT master are the same, so I'll be looking to swap that out shortly. The line is still not replaced, but its holding enough. Been blasting that connection with PB blaster each day, hopefully by this weekend it'll come off like butter and I can move forward.

Also have a...clunk might be a good way to describe it. Basically whenever the engine moves a good bit, hard shifts and such. It sounds to be more like a loose mount, then something in the trannie, or engine. Another item to investigate. I probally didn't tighten one up all the way...happens.

battery light won't shut off, even after swapping a new battery in, but the wires attached to teh alt are quite damaged. Will have to replace those soon, and test the alt out.

All in all, she is holding power well...some more tinkering and she'll be fine.

Anyone else feel odd in a replacement Celica? Just doesn't feel like the old one...comfort wise. Happy with the purchase, just feels weird laugh.gif

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 25, 2012 - 7:45 AM
post Jan 25, 2012 - 11:34 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

It is an odd feeling
I felt kinda wierd at first when i got my coupe but i just thought tgat was because i hadnt had a celi 4 years
But i get a really funny feeling being in the hatch i just bought for the swap an it looks just like my first 94 st

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jan 27, 2012 - 8:38 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jan 25, 2012 - 12:34 PM) *
It is an odd feeling
I felt kinda wierd at first when i got my coupe but i just thought tgat was because i hadnt had a celi 4 years
But i get a really funny feeling being in the hatch i just bought for the swap an it looks just like my first 94 st

Lol you got your hands full thats for sure! =)

--

Did some more tinkering. Finally got the clutch rubber line replaced. Took 3 days of soaking PB blaster and one really hard crank to get it off, but finally did.

Clutch still feels to weak, but atleast thats one less thing to add to the mix. Just a FYI, the ST clutch cable will work, its just slightly longer. About 1 inch.

Going to replace the master cylinder tomorrow, and see if it'll stiffing up the pedal. I've bled it 8 times now, and new slave, so only the master is left.

Well I decided something was wrong with the s54, no reason for the grind into 3rd or the whurring noise when clutch disengaged. I go back to the auto store and ask the guy to look up the trannie gear oil again. He instantly says "oh man, I think I told you the wrong stuff" - He sold me 90w-140...I said thats high, and he went into a story about his car, and never got around to looking again. Technically I should have known better, but was a waste of dough.

Drained the syhcromesh out the ST and put it in the GT, its only a year old, and looked quite new. No need to waste IMO. No more grind in 3rd, and shifts like butter. So one thing situated, few more to go.
post Jan 29, 2012 - 5:08 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well, had a little fun today.

Changed out the clutch master cylinder with the from the ST, feels so much better. Feels like control, instead of slamming down. Guess it was leaking inside.

Changed a few hoses out but continue to have a vacuum leak type idle. Starting to think the intake manifold is the culprit. I hear hissing in such direction.

Well to the picture worthy items.

Projector tap repairs

No point throwing them out, with a 5 dollar repair. Aquameld, wonderful fiberglass putty. Last patch lasted until someone hit me again =P

Did a little repair on the alt. connector. previous wires were frayed and casing falling off. Stole the STs, and made a new one.

Didn't have any heat resistant shrink, or anything open on sunday with such. So simple wrapped it up nice.

Took a crack at the audio, but it looks like a 10 year with a liking for electrical tape went to town. Tore the obvious bad out, and will have to clean it all up another time.
post Jan 29, 2012 - 5:54 PM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

Winning!

--------------------
post Feb 2, 2012 - 2:40 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Got the audio wired up yesterday.

Was quite fun...sarcasim.

This GT has the factory amp, so per normal I had to rip out the blue connector from under the amp, and splice in my connections using the toyota default color code. Yes I'm a cheap ass that won't pay for the connector when I already have wire strippers and crimps.

Had to pull out probally 14 bad connections put together with electrical tap on stripped back wire wrapped. Stupid.....

Rears do not work, but I assume that is because, just like the fronts, someone cut the factory wires and ran home audio speaker wire. rolleyes.gif

Even if that is not case, no biggie, as they will eventually be mid range subs...I just wanted some noise, instead of engine noise when driving.

Funny enough, the wreck blew one of my subs. Had to rip the center piece off because it was taping like crazy with the bass hitting. Will have to invest in some new ones sometime in the far future. For now, they shake my license plate, and piss off people blasting rap. All I want..for now =)
post Feb 21, 2012 - 11:20 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Rims painted with Plastidip, and new front calipers.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Feb 21, 2012 - 11:20 AM
post Feb 21, 2012 - 7:44 PM
+Quote Post
TRD_Ian

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 19, '08
From New Brunswick
Currently Offline

dude nice work its looking good, i just went through this and am still in the process of swapping parts of my first gts to my second one i have now, the new one was in about the same shape as yours too but right now with the exception of you have projectors and black stock 15s your car and mine are twins cept iv got stock highs and lows and gold stock 15s, mine even has the same pinkish shade faded door handles, keep up the good work im subscribed to this build, you should post picks of your system i wanna see your setup, i hit 144.8DB on my system this summer and it wasn't tunned properly so with some modifications and new pieces iv added this winter im hoping to hit even higher, stooopid frame"less windows leaking like a civ under pressure frown.gif i should really update my build thread

--------------------

i hate snow, missing my celica
post Feb 22, 2012 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TRD_Ian @ Feb 21, 2012 - 8:44 PM) *
dude nice work its looking good, i just went through this and am still in the process of swapping parts of my first gts to my second one i have now, the new one was in about the same shape as yours too but right now with the exception of you have projectors and black stock 15s your car and mine are twins cept iv got stock highs and lows and gold stock 15s, mine even has the same pinkish shade faded door handles, keep up the good work im subscribed to this build, you should post picks of your system i wanna see your setup, i hit 144.8DB on my system this summer and it wasn't tunned properly so with some modifications and new pieces iv added this winter im hoping to hit even higher, stooopid frame"less windows leaking like a civ under pressure frown.gif i should really update my build thread

Lol appreciate it!

Yea my landlord is on me hard about the other celica in the yard, but its tarped, and hes been a pain in my rear for some time when its comes to home issues, so I'm just going to ride the lease out and take it with me. No way in hell I'm getting rid of my first celica until I'm completely ready, and that might be when its a rust pile on the ground lol.

haha those damn door handles, yea they are annoying me. I'm thinking of taking them out, and just rattle canning some clear on them or something. Tested a few spots where the clear was coming off, sanded it down, and sprayed some clear on it. Looks alot better, but waiting til I can buff it down some before I show the handy work.

Ack my audio, thats another story. My subs were damaged in the wreck, along with my amp taking a hit. So its not to pretty at the moment, nothing to be proud off being an IT audio engineer, but it functions. I have plans for it in the future, fiberglass enclosure, 2 12's in the back, sub mids over the shoulder, front tweets and 2 ways on the door....but that is in due time, I have to really get down and focus on this bad boy before it rusts up in my storage unit..

All in good time, just happy to have moving wheels again!

This post has been edited by rave2n: Feb 22, 2012 - 9:52 AM
post Mar 4, 2012 - 4:15 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Been a busy weekend.

Riser blocks, applied new clear to spoiler, driver seat cover transferred, swapped tails because old ones were leaking and a new altenator

post Mar 5, 2012 - 1:14 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

good stuff

--------------------
post Apr 22, 2012 - 1:18 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Finally got the audio situated correctly. Just woke up this morning with the motivation, and a 20oz red bull

Sorting out the rear speakers...previous owner powered the other head unit with the cig lighter power wires, and ran new speaker wire to each speaker inside of the vehicle.

I already did the front 2, but had to sort out the wiring for the rears. Completely removed the factory amp harness and all un-needed wiring. Found a spare set of power wires, which have been tucked for later use.

Extended all OEM wires, with OEM colored wires, then spliced on the aftermarket color wires finally to the harness. I can take the head unit out down to about the climate control with ease. No more digging for wires in horrid spots.

This is the previous owners trickery...had to go in and fix these.

He cut them so close to the connection, I would have to re-pin them. So some electrical tap and wire nuts do the trick just fine.

End result, a clean install, with all speakers working! Plenty of tweet, and plenty of boom! Much thanks to swiss for the head unit! Works perfectly

Also removed the rear seats, as they were destined for trash either way.

Few other tidbits like fixing the cig lighter and bulb, swapping out the center console, and swapping out broken air vents with ones from the ST.

Little repairs, but happy repairs.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Apr 22, 2012 - 1:21 PM
post Apr 22, 2012 - 6:57 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Bittersweet. At least it found a good home. thumbsup.gif 'Twas a good receiver.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Apr 22, 2012 - 6:57 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Apr 22, 2012 - 7:10 PM
+Quote Post
mak5603

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '08
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

Damn bro, the 20 oz red bulls, you go hard, haha. Bet its nice to have the upgraded headunit! Looks good man.

--------------------
2006 BMW 330i - 6 Speed - Dinan Stage 1
2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE
post Apr 22, 2012 - 7:31 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jan 29, 2012 - 5:08 PM) *

It's astounding what the projectors do for the car..... a perfect side by side comparison

--------------------
post Apr 23, 2012 - 6:17 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

coming along quite well!

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Apr 23, 2012 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Apr 22, 2012 - 7:57 PM) *
Bittersweet. At least it found a good home. thumbsup.gif 'Twas a good receiver.

Its banging good, can't complain =)

QUOTE (mak5603 @ Apr 22, 2012 - 8:10 PM) *
Damn bro, the 20 oz red bulls, you go hard, haha. Bet its nice to have the upgraded headunit! Looks good man.

Hah, after years of drinking them daily, only the 20oz works...slowly removing my bad habits one at a time, red bull is last on the schedule =) I love it to much.

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Apr 22, 2012 - 8:31 PM) *
It's astounding what the projectors do for the car..... a perfect side by side comparison

lol yea it truly is a diff, makes a beater look nice. My old boss had a saying "Your just putting a new dress on a old whore" =P

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Apr 23, 2012 - 7:17 AM) *
coming along quite well!

Ty sir! Can't wait to swap that failedtolift bumper out of the equation wink.gif
post Jul 3, 2012 - 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Feeling motivated again. Took a little while with the recent moving.

Not much of an update, but getting those seat covers finished up...been driving around with just 1 of the 2 for a while now.

Started ordering some parts for the 3s, and going to haul the beast out of storage tomorrow and start tearing it down now that I've clean out the back covered area.

Much thanks to batman for selling me a spare ST205 MAP sensor, one less thing on the list!

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:47 AM