> car electrics dead help!!!
post Jun 30, 2011 - 10:23 AM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

hi everyone i really hope somebody could help me because its nearly the end of the week at its still baffling me whats wrong. On monday i drove to work,i drove home from work and filled up with petrol, and parked the car on the street ready for work the next morning. Tuesday morning i was pressing my key fob to open the door and it wouldnt open thinking maybe the batteries gone in the fob because it does get tempermental lol,opened the car door in the end with the key, starting the car up and i got nothing, it was like it had no battery connected in the car, no light on clock no sound, no clicking from starting up totally silent. So i thought it must be the battery so i brought a new battery after checking all the fuses (havent checked the big fuses because i cant get them off) and they are all ok. connected the new battery and still nothing im not getting a spark even when i connect the leads to the battery or a bleep. could somebody please please help......
post Jun 30, 2011 - 11:57 AM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

check your grounds. unbolt them from the chassis, clean up the area, bolt them back on. then check the battery clamps for corrosion.. u might want to replace them anyway... stock ones suck.

the "MAIN" fuse may also be popped, but you would get some kinda activity from the car still.

--------------------
"And, as always, your friendship, help, and dedication to the advancement of Texas Celica dominance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bro." -DEATH

1994 GT: V6 swap, 5speed E53 W/ LSD, All Power, now RED
1995 ST: SOLD @273k miles, Auto, all power, CarPC, White
1994 ST: Totaled, 5spd, all power, Red RIP 07/09/09 @ 241,810
1994 Lexus LS400: This is my new DD
post Jun 30, 2011 - 12:46 PM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Jun 30, 2011 - 12:57 PM) *
check your grounds. unbolt them from the chassis, clean up the area, bolt them back on. then check the battery clamps for corrosion.. u might want to replace them anyway... stock ones suck.

the "MAIN" fuse may also be popped, but you would get some kinda activity from the car still.

ok thanx for that
post Jun 30, 2011 - 3:34 PM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

hope it helps. post results either way so we know smile.gif

--------------------
"And, as always, your friendship, help, and dedication to the advancement of Texas Celica dominance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bro." -DEATH

post Jul 1, 2011 - 12:43 PM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

well had my mate to have a look at it who is a mechanic and he said he has never known a toyota to do this before, it seems like theres no electric getting into the dashboard and fuses because they are all dead. In two minds to either keep it or scrap it frown.gif i dont want to scrap it but ive spent loads on it and just seems like a money pit at the moment hasnt put me off celicas though and wouldnt mind another one in the future smile.gif
post Jul 1, 2011 - 4:25 PM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

did you check/ replace your ground wires?

did you replace the battery clamps?

thats a 10$ fix and its usually what it is when i see similar problems

--------------------

post Jul 2, 2011 - 2:10 AM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

the ground wires have been checked and is getting a good earth havent replaced the clamps though for the battery postive and negative i could try that thank you.
post Jul 2, 2011 - 2:24 AM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

check your 100amp fuse very carefully.

did your lights come on when you put on the new battery? like did they flash on then off when you first connected the terminals?

This post has been edited by 808celica: Jul 2, 2011 - 2:30 AM

--------------------
I don't normally drive fast, but when I do its on a curvy section of this island
post Jul 2, 2011 - 4:31 AM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

ok. No they didnt flash havent got anything its totally dead cant even get a spark from the terminals on the battery i will change the terminals later to see if it is that.
post Jul 2, 2011 - 5:10 PM
+Quote Post
opie_7afe

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 26, '11
From beaufort,SC
Currently Offline

check the starter side of your wiring, if not i would try to put car up on a lift remove under panels and fender liners/splash guards and check out your wiring, check continuity of your wiring also, sometimes your wires get corroded inside of the insulation and there pretty much useless...gotta be something simple if it was working then nothing, i dont think everything electrical fails at once. id bust out the service manual wiring diagrams if you got one if not the service manual is found here. http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/6g/ good luck hope you get it on the road!
post Jul 3, 2011 - 1:06 AM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

ive got it working hooray smile.gif it was a bad battery terminal so ive just changed both of them and works like a dream now. Thank you very much everyone for helping out i appreciate it. smile.gif
post Jul 3, 2011 - 10:08 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

stephen_lee saves the day

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Jul 5, 2011 - 3:14 PM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

i had the same issue with my lexus. it would start up and drive fine... then just shut off.. it was a bad battery clamp. thats why i suggested that. glad to help smile.gif

--------------------

post Jul 6, 2011 - 3:11 PM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

thank you very much for the help now i have another problem frown.gif when i connect my cables to the new terminal i cut the postive one as far as i could so it would fit but its not long enough (the thick wire) could i put a connector in the middle of it and put another thick cable on the end would that work or do i need to replace the whole cable kindasad.gif
post Jul 6, 2011 - 4:45 PM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

that will work, but make sure you get the same size wire and a proper sizr CRIMP connector..solder wont work well with that large wire. also if its just the thick one giving you issues, you can get a whole new switch to starter cable and run it to your starter (where the thick one goes) or get a clamp that has the starter cable attached. your choice. but id pick one where u upgrade your starter wire.

--------------------

post Jul 7, 2011 - 1:26 AM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

ok thanx again you have been a great help smile.gif i think i will just crimp it because im not sure what you mean by the switch to starter. What type of crimp connection would you recommend is it the long tube one do they all come in different sizes?
post Jul 7, 2011 - 8:40 AM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

ya the long tube one comes in different sized. its probably 8ga.

the switch to starter is just the type of wire. it has bolt on connections on both ends

--------------------

post Jul 7, 2011 - 12:30 PM
+Quote Post
fowler1979

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 12, '09
From united kingdom
Currently Offline

thanx again your my hero smile.gif

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:48 PM