6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Onnaj's 1998 Celica ST to 4AGE 20V Blacktop conversion, Next project: C160 LSD 6-speed gearbox :)
post Apr 18, 2013 - 1:49 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (celica74 @ Apr 18, 2013 - 2:37 AM) *
how much fun did you have porting? this is how i felt after mine rolleyes.gif with my build, all i did to the head was port and radius cut the valves and a 30 degree backcut. Pretty sure it made a hell of a difference. Head work is %60 of your power. nice work.

The porting was really fun to do. You can see literally see and feel the difference. The head work is now done. Going to bring it to the rebuild shop today to do a leak test. When that's okay i'll be mounting the head on the block this evening or tomorrow and then i'll be able to mount the cams, cam bridge, bearings etc.

We've also get all the paint of the cam cover and today it'll be painted in black again. It's getting better and better, i can't wait to have this engine in!

This is the assembled head:

--------------------
post Apr 18, 2013 - 4:16 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Yes i'm happy!! Today the engine head was vaccuum leak tested and it was perfect! Not bad for my first valve grinding job smile.gif Have to note that the valves weren;t that bad though wink.gif But still i'm very pleased with it. Now i can continue working on the engine!

So updates will be there soon!:)

--------------------
post Apr 20, 2013 - 5:32 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Updating time!

Yesterday i've managed to mount the oil filter bracket and the oil filter first. After that ive mounted a new headgasket and reinstalled the cams. I was a bit afraid of installing them because they were up a little on the end. Asked about this at the rebuild shop but they say it is absolutely normal. There's no point where the cams don't touch the valve lifters. Just ensure that the crankcase pulley is at TDC and the dots on the cams are alligned properly. To be 100% sure it was advisable to turn the crankcase about 25-30 degrees counterclockwise. Then all the pistons would be halfway, so hitting the pistons with the valves would be impossible. So we've mounted them in multiple passes and very secure. So not thighten them to hard right away.
Also i've installed the water outlet and inlet and some small things. I wanted to mount a new thermostat but the new one differs a lot from the old one. Have to ask if that won't be a problem.
Hopefully tomorrow i'm going to check the valve clearance, put the new hydraulic tensioner on and install the cam cover.

Anyways, here are some pictures:

New headgasket on the block:

Marked the headbolts to ensure toquing @ the good patern:

Used some hulp for the toquing to turn them 90 degress twice wink.gif:

Notice the white mark on the head bolts. I did this to ensure i would turn them exactly 180 degrees in total:

Mounted cams:

Oil filter and bracket with new seals:

Thermostat difference (new one is not a genuine btw):

--------------------
post Apr 25, 2013 - 8:04 PM
+Quote Post
cjh4l22

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 18, '06
From cincinnati
Currently Offline

why you no c160?!

--------------------
proud =3sgte SWAPPED= '95 Celica ST owner [calling it the GT2 or half-trac]
309,000 miles n' .... dead-> ALIVE AGAIN!! ~14,000 miles driven
post Apr 25, 2013 - 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
TheCreatorOf

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 23, '13
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (onnaj @ Apr 15, 2013 - 3:36 PM) *
Time for another update:

Have been busy a lot with with installing the valves en valve stem steals. How stupid could i be, trying to put the seals completely to the bottom of the valve guide :S. Should have read better before. Killed 6 of them and i have to remove the rest of the valves to check the other seals. When comparing how easily the valves could go in and out, i spotted a little rip/tear in one of the seals. When checking 2 other seals i spotted the same problem frown.gif. This is really expensive teaching money, but learned a lot.
Wow and how difficult the valve retainer locks wil go in position. This took my a LOT of time. And worst is that because of the seals i can do it all over again frown.gif

Good news? Yes, i picked the stock airbox and exhaust header up from the powder coating. They really look as new, or maybe even better then new biggrin.gif I'm really happy with that and it's worth every penny!

Because i had to wait on the new valve seals i went ahead with the throttle body. I removed the injectors and changed them for some i had ultrasonic cleaned before. Changed the o-rings and vibration insulators for new one's and (pre-)mounted the brackets.

Here are the pictures:

Powder coated airbox:

Powder coated header:

Cleaned injectors:

Throttle body with painted brackets:

UHHHH Gloss black engine parts!? im drooling!, so tempting since ive done so much gloss black around the car, I need to get into that engine bay lol

--------------------
white 1997 Celica GT***FOR SALE
blue 1995 4Runner V6 sold
dark blue/black 1991 MR2 NA sold
dark green 1998 Accord V6 sold
dark green/blue 1994 Celica ST sold
dark green 1997 3.0CL traded
post Apr 25, 2013 - 11:02 PM
+Quote Post
Legen-dary

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 18, '13
From Portland, OR
Currently Offline

Um yeah, gloss black engine parts can look really good!

--------------------
1999 Celica GT Auto - GF's car
1996 4Runner SR5 5sp - Ol' Faithful
2006 Evo 9 MR - For sale
1998 Supra NA Auto very slow
post May 27, 2013 - 5:07 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

So has been a long time since the last updates but the engine is in for a week or 2 now!

I had to grab the power steering lines from a 4EFE Corolla and also took the reservoir of it. I used a part from the OEM power steering line from the Blacktop (it was ofcourse cut! frown.gif) and let a hydraulic company press it together with the Corolla power steering line. Its a great fit, you can see in the pictures below.

For the throttle cable i grabbed a cable from a 93-er Celica 5SFE from Rockauto. It's a bit long but besides that it's a nice fit. We've made an adapter plate for the throttle bracket so it cannot move.

For the igniter we've also made an adapter plate so that's also a nice fit. Going to paint it black later this week, so that it's completely finished! biggrin.gif

At the first startup we had 4 codes or so. IAT (not connected), MAP, TPS and some code i don't remember. After three double check the vacuum lines and connecting the IAT all the codes were gone except for the TPS code, 41.

And that one wouldn’t go away. I’ve bought a new tps, asjusted it with Blacktop manual, but still the code. It made me go crazy. Then i’ve decided to meausure the voltage at the ECU of the VTA and E2 connectors. They voltages should be around 0.3V @ idle and about 4.7V @ WOT. I’ve meausured 4.7 @ idle and 0.00V @ WOT. Hey that’s strange i thougt, look like it’s upside down or so. Double checked the manual if i mounted the sensor upside down, but i didn’t.
So later that evening i had a sudden inspiration. I remembered using the TPS connector from the 7AFE while that one is exactly the same. So i thought: are those pins located at the same position as the one of the 4AGE TPS??? So i went to bed and first thing in the morning was grabbing the manual and walk to the car. And YES!!!! found the problem! They’re located in the opposite way. So i’ve repinned the connector and gone is the code biggrin.gif

The engine runs a lot smoother now! Still running too rich, cause i can smell the fuel and hear some little backfires now and then. Also the starts are a bit difficult now and then. It seems to run on 3 cylinders for a second and then it runs fine.
Have to sort out what’s causing this. Maybe the O2 sensor had a hard time after the first starts with all the oil and residues of the painted parts wink.gif Have to check this out later on.

Also the valves are ticking a bit. But they were about 0.01-0.02 mm out of spec…meaning too loose. I’ve didn’t buy new shims while mostly the valves are tighten up after a few thousand km. So hopefully that’ll go away or otherwise i have to re-adjust them.

So the pictures:

New harness made by myself biggrin.gif:

Engine compartment:

power steering lines and reservoir:

--------------------
post May 27, 2013 - 6:36 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Gefeliciteerd, gaaf.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post May 27, 2013 - 1:09 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Danku! bowdown.gif

--------------------
post Jun 4, 2013 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

awesome work! glad you figured everything out.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jun 4, 2013 - 3:50 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Jun 4, 2013 - 9:39 PM) *

Thanks man!

Still have to figure while it's running so damn rich. Maybe i should wait till the break in period is over. Today i've changed the injectors for other onces without much succes. The first time i changed them it runned only on 3 cylinders. So i grabbed another set that was lying around resting and the car runs back on 4 cylinders again. But still i miss power. Still seems that it runs way to rich, giving me some little backfire in the airbox...i must admit does sound nice, but shouldn't do it.

But i'm also proud, very proud i must say while today i've done compression tests...all cylinders reach 190 PSI! That's spec biggrin.gif Not bad for a first time wink.gif

Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

This post has been edited by onnaj: Jun 4, 2013 - 3:51 PM

--------------------
post Jun 4, 2013 - 4:47 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

QUOTE (onnaj @ Jun 4, 2013 - 3:50 PM) *
QUOTE (cheela @ Jun 4, 2013 - 9:39 PM) *

Thanks man!

Still have to figure while it's running so damn rich. Maybe i should wait till the break in period is over. Today i've changed the injectors for other onces without much succes. The first time i changed them it runned only on 3 cylinders. So i grabbed another set that was lying around resting and the car runs back on 4 cylinders again. But still i miss power. Still seems that it runs way to rich, giving me some little backfire in the airbox...i must admit does sound nice, but shouldn't do it.

But i'm also proud, very proud i must say while today i've done compression tests...all cylinders reach 190 PSI! That's spec biggrin.gif Not bad for a first time wink.gif

Backfire through the air box usually has to do with timing. Check the plug wires first then check the mechanical timing and make sure you're not a tooth or two off on the timing belt.

This post has been edited by WannabeGT4: Jun 4, 2013 - 4:47 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Project ST204.5 99.88946% complete...
post Jun 9, 2013 - 3:18 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Because my car had a car appraisal today i cleaned and waxed it earlier this week. This result is beautifull if i may say mysel biggrin.gif

If you don't like a lot of pictures, skip this topic wink.gif

7th june:

This morning way too early biggrin.gif:

This post has been edited by onnaj: Jun 9, 2013 - 3:19 AM

--------------------
post Jun 9, 2013 - 4:41 PM
+Quote Post
Legen-dary

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 18, '13
From Portland, OR
Currently Offline

Wow, it looks really nice! I like the rusty equipment in the background. So how much is she worth? smile.gif

--------------------
1999 Celica GT Auto - GF's car
1996 4Runner SR5 5sp - Ol' Faithful
2006 Evo 9 MR - For sale
1998 Supra NA Auto very slow
post Jun 10, 2013 - 3:30 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Legen-dary @ Jun 9, 2013 - 11:41 PM) *
Wow, it looks really nice! I like the rusty equipment in the background. So how much is she worth? smile.gif

Thanks, I also thought the rusty background would be nice smile.gif

I hear at the end of the week what it's worth....

--------------------
post Jul 1, 2013 - 5:51 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

I had a pretty decent appraisal, don't know if it handy to put the value on the internet, but i'm happy with it.

The car has almost done 1500 miles since the rebuild and used somehwere between 0.2 and 0.3 litres of the break-in oil, which is really nothing really.

The valves clearances are all in spec now...did have too wait 2 weeks for the shims to get in and the valve train noise is a lot less. Still hear it, but that is either because of the break-in oil or the VVT cam. So that's something to replace in the near future biggrin.gif

Did rev it some harder already but not past the 6800 redline (of my stock 7AFE rpm gauge wink.gif) and it goes pretty well. I do need another gearbox though, cause my c52 has really really long 2nd and 3th gears. I think i can rev to about 120 km/h (GPS speed, not tacho speed) in second gear. In third it should get near the 180 km/h i guess.

I think i'm going to buy a C160 gearbox, cause they're easier to get here in holland. Don't know if they'll easily fit, but that's something to find out soon smile.gif

--------------------
post Jul 6, 2013 - 9:38 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

For the interested people, i've just shot a movie of 8200 rpm Celica ST wink.gif. Don't mind the quality, cause my phone camera was damaged during the rebuild and need a rebuild too smile.gif I think the sound will make it up for this haha

My next project will be a 6 speed gearbox, while the gears are really really long as you can see on the video. @8200 rpm i'm driving 120 on gps in second gear.

It's still running a bit rich and i think i miss about 20-30 hp, but i hope after a while it'll get better. I need to drive it faster and take it (a lot) higher in the rpm range then during the break-in period. Endly that break-in period is over and now it's really happy with 5W30 full synthetic smile.gif

The sound is really awesome, that's going to cost me fuel haha! From 6000 RPM it's like having a little extra turbo or so, cause then it really goes!

Yesterday went to Germany to test if the speed limiter is working and unfortunately it does. It's pretty harsh i must say. Likes like i'm running into a wall when the speed limit is reached. And that's about 192 km/h on GPS.

But here comes the movie! The speed on the tacho it's the real GPS speed, this is caused by my 17" (way too heavy) rims. Hope you enjoy the sound! tongue.gif

Youtube movie

--------------------
post Aug 27, 2013 - 6:51 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Update after a long time: wink.gif

But important news....some present arrived today:

Blacktop flywheel:

Shifter cables and gear lever:

Last but not least...C160 LSD gearbox!! smile.gif:

Hopefully i'm able to mount it somewhere this month! smile.gif

This post has been edited by onnaj: Aug 27, 2013 - 6:51 AM

--------------------
post Aug 27, 2013 - 8:25 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

sweet! post up another video after you put those in.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Aug 28, 2013 - 6:30 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Aug 27, 2013 - 3:25 PM) *
sweet! post up another video after you put those in.

Thanks i will! biggrin.gif

Yesterday i've been busy for about 3-4 hours to clean the gearbox. What a mess it had on the outside. From the inside only a layer of dust, so that's a good sign biggrin.gif But it looks a lot better now already:

--------------------

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:29 PM