6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project: I dunno yet ('99 GT), NOW with pictures & video [IN COLOR]! (Update BOTTOM of pg.5)
post Mar 27, 2018 - 9:56 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

I'm back B%$#@s!

I just couldn't help myself, I needed to be able row through gears again; needed a project, something to do, something to cruise with w/ friends in the summer.

Somebody had posted a car on here it was a clean southern car that sale didn't happen & it just got me hooked, I needed to get back in another Celica.

I had been searching the car sales sites & found this on Jan. 18 on Craigslist in Denver, CO (had only been on there for a few days). Contacted the seller, blah, blah, blah. Flew out Feb. 3rd to pick it up. It's mine. BIG thanks to richee3 (a.k.a. Daniel) otherwise I would still be without a 6th gen. thumbsdown.gif

Had an absolute blast. Beat the crap out of the car the first few hours of ownership, drove to Colorado Springs, up Pikes Peak (it's a must for any automotive enthusiast). Car rides well, even a 100mph (Denver area Colorado drivers are the worst).

So the cooling issue... Bought the car on Saturday no problems at all, really nice outside about 57degrees. Drove down to Colorado Springs then up & down Pikes Peak no issues. You can hear the fans come on when the car is at operating temp. I mean NO issues at all, we beat the piss out of the car (is smooth at 100mph). I leave Sunday morning, about 30min outside of Denver the car overheats! WTF! I pull over & check, see that the only place coolant is coming out of is the overflow tank, but the fans aren't running, weird. Check fuses, good, swap some relays, nothing. Eventually Daniel tells me unplug the radiator temp sensor, all is good, fans work, so relays are ok. Put some coolant in (not very much was lost) & on my way. I notice that the car is running a little warm but I keep going. Fill up w/ gas at Julesburg, CO get back on the road & the car seems to run a little warmer even than before, WTF. So I'm messing w/ the heater trying different things to get the temp down, I notice that when heat is turned to full cold that the temp gauge spikes, it didn't do that before. I suspect the thermostat. I get to North Platte, NE. Pull into an O'Reillys, pop over the hood and look, no leaks, but the lower radiator hose is cold! Put a new thermostat in bleed the system. Plug the fans back in & they turn on correctly, lower radiator hose gets hot. Ok cool, I get on my way temp gauge is good going down there the road. A while down the road I pull into a rest stop to check... no leaks, temp is good, but the lower radiator hose is still cold! WTF! I'm like well car hasn't blow up yet, I continue with my journey. I get home park in the garage, pop the hood lower hose still cold. I let the car run for a few minutes & the hose gets warm & the fans kick on. [Copied from our PM cheela, lol]

The car hasn't overheated yet so I'm believing the thermostat was the fix but...

Now the clutch is toasted, go figure. I've been baby-ing it when driving cause especially after 3k rpms you could feel it. But I was driving it to work 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday morning in lovely traffic, go to give it some throttle (maybe a 1/2, I dunno) in 5th & she shoots to 5k rpms & really goes no where, lol, sorry traffic. That smell is really nasty, haha.

Here is the Flickr album ... I'll try and embed photos w/ captions and/ or details later.

This post has been edited by navseal345: May 24, 2020 - 10:54 AM
post Mar 27, 2018 - 10:12 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 27, 2018 - 8:56 PM) *
BIG thanks to richee3 (a.k.a. Daniel) otherwise I would still be without a 6th gen. thumbsdown.gif

It’s no problem! Glad to have you back in a 6gc! And raiding the junk yard is always a good time.

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 27, 2018 - 8:56 PM) *
(Denver area Colorado drivers are the worst).

Truer words have never been spoken. They like to blame the “transplants” but it’s not our fault that they have no clue how to drive.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 27, 2018 - 10:38 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Took this long to tell everyone? GAH.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 28, 2018 - 6:35 AM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

Welcome back!!! Not having a 6gc should be a crime.
post Mar 28, 2018 - 7:06 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 27, 2018 - 10:38 PM) *
Took this long to tell everyone? GAH.

Yeah, sorry. I'm a very good procrastinator.

I realized soon after I sold my first one I made a huge mistake. It's been 6-ish years. Feels good to be back.
post Mar 28, 2018 - 8:13 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 27, 2018 - 9:56 PM) *
[Copied from our PM cheela, lol]

LOL I was reading through and was thinking hey, that's pretty much what he wrote to.... ah yup. it is. laugh.gif

looking through your album, and those 7th gen seats in red are perfect for your celi. you're gonna miss the extra cushion of the 6th gen seats but they just look so good.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 28, 2018 - 8:38 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Woot! Excited to see where this goes!!!

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Mar 28, 2018 - 2:45 PM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
From wild 100's, South Chicago
Currently Offline

welcome to the "RED'' CLUB. I KNOw you dont like it ,cheela . but we are to many.
post Mar 28, 2018 - 3:07 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

haha! yeah I don't like red, but yet TWO of the FOUR cars I own are red...lol.
but hopefully my RA29 will be white at some point and my RA24, matte black.

It's all good. Not gonna hate on a clean red celi though. Just that it's not my first choice for color.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 28, 2018 - 4:04 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'll hate on red, WORST COLOUR EVA.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 29, 2018 - 2:00 PM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
Currently Offline

thats the reason i like mine because is not that factory red. is allot more brighter . i call it ferrari red. Lets see how it will be looking when it comes out the body shop.
post Mar 29, 2018 - 11:01 PM
+Quote Post
C3lic4

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 26, '18
From United States
Currently Offline

Would like to see where this goes too. Good luck!
post Mar 30, 2018 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

It's going no where very, very fast. Mostly have no motivation after work during the week & weekends have been to cold to go & work in the garage.

I want to get the interior apart & cleaned, seats swapped over & such and the clutch.
post Apr 2, 2018 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 30, 2018 - 1:13 PM) *
It's going no where very, very fast. Mostly have no motivation after work during the week & weekends have been to cold to go & work in the garage.

I want to get the interior apart & cleaned, seats swapped over & such and the clutch.

you just have to choose a day. and as soon as you start ,you will get motivated when you start seeing the results ,you will not want to stop. Plus you got us waiting!
post Apr 2, 2018 - 7:47 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

a link, is not a pic

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 24, 2018 - 9:50 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Ok... (sorry it took a long ass time)

Here are the photos from the sellers Craigslist ad...

And here is/ was the ad
post Apr 24, 2018 - 10:15 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Here was my Facebook reveal, lol...

And how can you not take a car you just bought up Pikes Peak...
Thanks richee3 for some of these photos (taken just after the halfway point)

From my potato cam...

Top of Pikes Peak (looking manly east), Elevation 14,115ft. Wait for it... wait for it...

wait for it... wait for it... There it is! (looking manly south)
post Apr 24, 2018 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Fixed the battery hold down...

Better than a rubber hold down

Made a junkyard run... Got a full set of floor mats, black carpet, interior trunk plastics & a few other misc. pieces. And it only cost me $42!

Took the carpet & mats to the car wash & gave them good cleaning!

Like a week later went back & got some 7th gen seats & some other interior carpet bits for only like $50!

Not the biggest fan of the feel/ design of the 7th gen seats butt they sure are better then the faded/dry/ torn tan leather ones. They will do for now.

I still need to really get going on this project
Clutch is toasted,
I have parts sitting in the living room just need a free weekend/ rack at work to do it.
It will get done! (I hope. lol, jk)
post Apr 24, 2018 - 10:45 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It is a great car for a first driver, they speak troofs.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 25, 2018 - 9:55 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I like where this is headed!

--------------------
~bloodMoney

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 18th, 2024 - 10:15 PM