6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 7 Step LED Gauge Conversion, 7 Steps in order to change your 6th Gen Celica Gauge ligting to LED
post Sep 27, 2012 - 11:32 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Okay, This is my first post rolleyes.gif , and I am not sure whether this has been done or not kindasad.gif , but I have searched for a while for a walkthrough on this to no real luck frown.gif . Anyway, I have made a step-by-step walkthrough for removing the instrument cluster and replacing the internal bulbs with LED's smile.gif . I got my LEDs off eBay with a search of '1994 Celica Dashboard' and so on...

This is for changing a 1994/5 (ST204) Celica gauge light, but I am pretty sure the 1995-1999 also uses the same method...
What you'll need:
- 2 Screwdrivers (one mini, but both same head size),
- 3 LED which fit the OEM socket (eBay is your friend),
Optionally:
- a fourth smaller bulb, (usually included with the LED kit)

Let's take a look at the before shot:

A repulsive green/yellow colour... Time to change that.
Step 1:
Remove ignition trim
Easier done than said (No really, it just pops out), there are two 'grips' these will make it so much easier.

Once the trim is removed, just place it hanging over the other side of the dash, we don't need it out.

(Note: the black screw next to the ignition.)

Step 2:
Further trim removal:
Locate the black screw on the other side of the instrument cluster (Note the screw in the background):

Back over to the ignition, remember that screw I told you to note? take it out.

Step 3:
Hidden Screws:
Before you go ripping out your trim, there are two 'hidden' screws. well actually, they aren't hidden at all. There general location (You'll need a small screwdriver with the same head size here):

Step 4:
Removing the gauge cluster:
Probably the second most daunting part of this task, but remember that screw in the background? all you have to do is remove it and 3 others. Locate these under and above the cluster:

Note: Do NOT forget the two circled screws above the cluster or you'll have a bad time.

Step 5:
Remove the cluster:
Now that the screws are removed, the cluster slides out. This can be challenging first attempt with the steering wheel. But, it is possible. Once removed, disconnect all the wire harnesses.

The gauge cluster:

Reverse:

Step 6:
Changing bulbs:
Now, this seems like the most daunting task, but really it isn't... If you have consulted your Owner's Manual or the Workshop Manual, all you have to do is change the light with an LED of that socket type...
Now, those circled in red are to be replace, the one circled in yellow is optional. The yellow one is a different bulb type to the red but, the kits off eBay include both... It is up to you, I found that the yellow illuminated my low fuel light and so decided not to put it in... The actual removal of the bulbs is easy, twist by the green holder, pull the wedge base bulb (with green condom) out, and push LED in...

VERY IMPORTANT: with LED bulbs, polarity matters. This is where testing comes into play, place the LED bulb in the holder, it doesn't matter what way as you can screw the lights in both ways. Screw the LED into the cluster and TEST IT. take it to the car, plug in the harnesses and turn the lights on, if the gauge doesn't light up, remove and turn the green plug around. It should now work.

Step 7:
Putting it back in:
Now really, you don't need a guide for this because it is so simple, but anyway... Follow from step 5 in reverse.
CONGRATULATIONS! Mission Accomplished. Enjoy!

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Sep 28, 2012 - 12:37 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Very good! Thanks and welcome!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 28, 2012 - 1:57 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Sep 28, 2012 - 1:37 AM) *
Very good! Thanks and welcome!

Thanks smile.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Sep 28, 2012 - 5:45 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

We actually do have this covered in a couple of places (a link in the stickies and a how-to on the main page) but this is the first how-to in our forums. Good first post. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 28, 2012 - 6:22 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 28, 2012 - 5:45 AM) *
We actually do have this covered in a couple of places (a link in the stickies and a how-to on the main page) but this is the first how-to in our forums. Good first post. thumbsup.gif

Thanks smile.gif
I couldn't find one that was for my particular model, the 1994/5 Pre facelift... There are a few small changes in parts between it and the 1996-1999 models haha smile.gif

--------------------

post Sep 30, 2012 - 11:29 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Very cool, but one question; can the LEDs you're using sustain the dimming function, or are they only operating at certain brightness?

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Oct 1, 2012 - 3:09 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

I also replaced the T5 light bulbs with LEDs, but had problem with some:
- Airbag light was always partially on, when turning the key to ON, it turned on normally, but then just dimmed after 6 seconds and stayed that way
- Blue LED for high beams indicator blinded me at night
- I skipped battery and warning LEDs, as suggested in tutorial on Celica-Club

Replaced turn signals with green LEDs, red indicators wit red LEDs and the rest (mostly yellow/orange) with white leds.
Just a little heads-up if somebody decides to do the same, as here is just one T5 instructed to be replaced smile.gif

--------------------
post Oct 1, 2012 - 5:33 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Sep 30, 2012 - 11:29 PM) *
Very cool, but one question; can the LEDs you're using sustain the dimming function, or are they only operating at certain brightness?

Yes, the dimming function works fine.

Also socket types behind the cluster are:

3 Wedge Base T10 Bulbs and the optional bulb is a Wedge Base T5

QUOTE (Nihil @ Oct 1, 2012 - 3:09 AM) *
I also replaced the T5 light bulbs with LEDs, but had problem with some:
- Airbag light was always partially on, when turning the key to ON, it turned on normally, but then just dimmed after 6 seconds and stayed that way
- Blue LED for high beams indicator blinded me at night
- I skipped battery and warning LEDs, as suggested in tutorial on Celica-Club

Replaced turn signals with green LEDs, red indicators wit red LEDs and the rest (mostly yellow/orange) with white leds.
Just a little heads-up if somebody decides to do the same, as here is just one T5 instructed to be replaced smile.gif

Yes this too is also true, The LED's are ALOT brighter than the Incandesent bulbs.... Even after taking the optional T5 bulb out, I find that at night my fuel light still glows...
I've left all the T5s alone at the moment smile.gif

--------------------

post Oct 12, 2012 - 6:42 PM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

I dont ever remember seeing a T5 backlight on a manual cluster, must be an aussie thing.

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Oct 13, 2012 - 5:50 PM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ Oct 12, 2012 - 6:42 PM) *
I dont ever remember seeing a T5 backlight on a manual cluster, must be an aussie thing.

Maybe, Mine has 3 T10 which are the complete 'backlight' and then 15 T5's which are all the warning lights and indicators...

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 6:36 AM