2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 3, 2020 - 11:33 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114382...omment-13268786 managed some cables.

--------------------
post Feb 15, 2020 - 1:57 PM
+Quote Post
Lorelei6gc

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '20
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm a nerd. I'd rather be a nerd than a dork, tho.

wait, this isn't an anime thread?
post Feb 20, 2020 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

So my 60hz monitor that I thought was lucky to do 75hz can uh do 120hz I guess. So that's cool.

--------------------
post Feb 29, 2020 - 12:43 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Bought a Vega 56, I heard they've aged really well and are super unlocked now for all kinds of shenanigans. I've got enough PSU for it and I hopefully have enough case airflow for it as well, hoping to be able to do some magic with it lol. I haven't owned a high performance tier card since my AGP 8X Geforce 6800 Ultra, everything since then has been mid tier stuff like 7800 GTX, 9800 GT, GTX 650, GTX 960, RX 580. Vega 56 will be my 2nd AMD video card after the RX 580 that I've been pretty happy with I just need more performance than it can provide for 1440p at the settings levels I like to run in games. With the right tuning the Vega 56 can do what I want, I think. I hope. Maybe. LOL.

--------------------
post Mar 2, 2020 - 11:28 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The Final Fantasy VII Remake demo came out today, so of course downloaded it and played through it! I think I was squeeing or smiling the entire time through it, it's just so well done and ahhh April 10th!

On a similar note, Bloodborne complete edition is on sale so I think I'll finally grab it. I just love the Gothic Victorian aesthetic, though I'll probably suck at it since it's supposed to be hard. Then again Monster Hunter was supposed to be hard, but wasn't really that bad since I was prepared.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 8, 2020 - 3:27 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Oh yeah, bought Bloodborne on the last day of the sale. Spent most of my time in character creation(making her look like me), as one should with any RPG. So far it's not too bad, but in my usual way I've found a way to exploit game mechanics to make life easier on me. Hey it's not my fault the monsters respawn each time I go to the Hunter's Dream and come back, and I can easily farm a small section infinitely to stock supplies and buy the better armour set(that and practice combat remotely safely). laugh.gif When I have more time to sit down and play I'll have to try actually playing, though apparently you can't level up until beating the first boss.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 8, 2020 - 11:27 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Maybe you can't level up but you can go in a with a well stacked deck!
I love to do the same thing in any game I can do it in. I remember when my GF at the time was playing Ratchet and Clank while I was watching, there was this one place on a race course level where the wall of boxes respawned every 10 or 20 seconds and your 'yelling' gun had unlimited ammo and each box gave a coin and there were about 15 boxes so...we stood the character in front of the wall of respawning boxes, taped the controller button down, and went out to see a movie. When we came back she had enough coins to buy everything in the game, every weapon and every upgrade for every weapon and boy did that make the game a hell of a lot more fun.

On a different note, every bit of PC hardware I've posted about 'I won it and I'm excited to get it' has fallen through in some way. The Vega 56 Red Dragon looks like the seller isn't going to ship it, they never replied to any messages and it hasn't had any update to the status except paid. The 6TB hard drive was defective but that was easy to send back for a refund. So I'm not jinxing anything else!

--------------------
post Mar 8, 2020 - 6:02 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I don't play games for a challenge, I play for entertainment! laugh.gif

That sucks! The joys of FeeBay...

This post has been edited by Box: Mar 8, 2020 - 6:02 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 8, 2020 - 7:15 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 8, 2020 - 6:02 PM) *
I don't play games for a challenge, I play for entertainment! laugh.gif

That sucks! The joys of FeeBay...

Ditto, but accomplishing a difficult victory can be fun sometimes too like using skills n stuff.

Yeah, I usually have more hits than misses but when I get misses they come in a streak it seems!

--------------------
post Mar 10, 2020 - 2:08 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ LE works. Overpaid a little but it's a unique version of this card, but it has the lesser Hynix memory, but it's benchmarking at GTX 1080, RTX 2060, 5700 non XT levels with some mild OC and fan curve tweaks. I need to find some time to play games, I should be all set! The cooler and card are massive, 3x8 pin PCIe and nearly 3 slots wide, longer than my ATX board is wide.

--------------------
post Mar 20, 2020 - 4:43 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yay working!

Also brother bought a 3D printer and filament which arrived yesterday. Going to make figurines and set pieces for Dungeons and Dragons, and he's going to teach me, my sister, and my brother to play! So excited!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 20, 2020 - 8:09 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 20, 2020 - 4:43 AM) *
Yay working!

Also brother bought a 3D printer and filament which arrived yesterday. Going to make figurines and set pieces for Dungeons and Dragons, and he's going to teach me, my sister, and my brother to play! So excited!

That's pretty cool!

--------------------
post Mar 20, 2020 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Yay working!

Which one did you buy? I was thinking about getting one of those cheaper build your own one's instead of forking over a grand for those makerbot 3d printer
post Mar 21, 2020 - 4:39 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Mar 20, 2020 - 12:09 PM) *
Yay working!

Which one did you buy? I was thinking about getting one of those cheaper build your own one's instead of forking over a grand for those makerbot 3d printer

He bought a Creality 3 Pro off eBay, was $220 shipped I think he said?

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 22, 2020 - 12:15 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I've got two PC's running Folding@Home with the higher priority Covid projects mostly.
Foldy Puff Jr. i5 4590, 16GB DDR3 (gotta swap down to 8GB and put the 16 in the HTPC), RX 580 Red Devil which has a beefy cooler and a little OC/undervolt
Foldy Puff Sr. 2700X, 32GB DDR4, Vega 56 with a slight OC, slight undervolt.
Running just GPU folding on both, CPU isn't worth it with the 4590 and I need to re-mount the CPU heat sink on the 2700X and probably going to need to lap it. It feels like my IHS and heat sink both are riding on a high spot. I may also shim it with some paper sheets to increase mounting pressure too.

--------------------
post Mar 22, 2020 - 9:35 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Got the 2700X partly lapped (good enough) and the heat sink base pretty much fully lapped, both are very very much flatter than they were. When I set the CPU down on the heat sink base it floats for a half second like a puck on an air hockey table. When I lift it off it has suction almost like a weak magnet.

--------------------
post Mar 25, 2020 - 6:52 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

That Vega looks nice af. 4590 buddies! I have their R9 280x and I like that brace they’re supplying now, mine does flex and is not perfectly straight as it was new, which to me is likely to uhh...cause problems.

I said wtf the first time I saw the GPU as well, it barely fits in a mid tower.

How did you do the lapping?

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Mar 25, 2020 - 6:54 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Mar 25, 2020 - 9:27 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Mar 25, 2020 - 6:52 PM) *
That Vega looks nice af. 4590 buddies! I have their R9 280x and I like that brace they’re supplying now, mine does flex and is not perfectly straight as it was new, which to me is likely to uhh...cause problems.

I said wtf the first time I saw the GPU as well, it barely fits in a mid tower.

How did you do the lapping?

With temepered glass and 800-2000 grit then some hand polish with 3000/5000 grit then some metal polish by hand to smooth it a little more. It's pretty flat.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...bc4ce52bebd.jpg
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...6ba7707ebee.jpg
I didn't take the CPU down completely, just enough to get the high spots down around the edges and in the center.

I'm still having some kind of mounting issue that I'm going to figure out this weekend, I got some modeling clay so I can mount it down and pull it off and see what's happening better than with thermal compound and so I don't waste a lot of it figuring this out. Temps aren't any better than before lapping and still slightly worse than the Prism cooler. I'm a bit miffed to be honest.

The 4590/RX 580 is back up and running Folding@home as often as I get work units, I got to get the 2700X issues sorted before I get the Vega 56 folding too. It does double the work as the 580 at only 50 more watts.
Yea, the V56 is HUGE. Biggest card I've owned yet! Runs cool and quiet and bench marks pretty nicely, certainly at the upper end of air cooled Vega 56.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Mar 25, 2020 - 9:38 PM

--------------------
post Mar 26, 2020 - 5:38 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

No ****. I had no idea lapping like that was a thing. I also have to redo CPU paste but last time I tried I couldn’t get the danged fan connector loose so I gave up for fear of having to remove the mobo from the case. I hit 70 max and that’s my comfort limit.

I got you beat by about 20mm but who’s counting, it’s how it’s used. wink.gif

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Mar 26, 2020 - 5:41 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:22 PM