6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3SGTE with auto tranny, Is it as easy as bolting on?
post Dec 12, 2005 - 5:17 AM
+Quote Post
_rz_

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 20, '04
From Russia, Moscow
Currently Offline

A fast auto transmission with a hi rev stall converter and modified solenoinds will shift faster than you can with a manual thats true. But it is not an auto anymore in terms of comfort - it's a drag car with hard shifts.
My opinion is that it will cost you way more to make it auto, and you get less of a pleasure compared with a manual.

But if it's really what you whant to do and it makes you happy then best of luck to you and keep us updated on the progress 'cause I really thought it's not possible on a celica.
post Oct 11, 2006 - 10:14 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

Just found out tonight that neither the flexplate nor the 5SFE flywheel bolt onto the 3SGTE crank. Either one will need machined to fit the larger bolts and slightly different bolt pattern.

--------------------
IPB Image
Project ST204.5 99.88946% complete...
post Oct 11, 2006 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
celicast3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 10, '05
From Monroe, WA
Currently Offline

i still give you props for trying this. keep it up! get me a measurement of your "5s flywheel" and ill compare to mine, im almost positive i have a 5sfe flywheel but may be 3sge which is what you will need to look for... ill help anyways i can. unlike lagos who follows you around saying "NO". lol

GOOD LUCK, my email is ninesecluxury@gmail.com

--------------------
94' ST Coupe - 5sfe Motor swap and brake swap.
post Oct 13, 2006 - 3:56 AM
+Quote Post
Silver94CelicaOw...

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 13, '02
From Blairstown, New Jersey
Currently Offline

WannabeGT4, I support your cause. thumbsup.gif

Auto with turbo is still VERY fun....I have some good experience with a WRX auto that I drive alot and it can kick some ass. Talk about a highway brawler....you'll plant your foot to the floor and its instant pulling power with no loss of boost in between gears. Better yet, when the going gets twisty, you can keep your hands planted where they are and always have 100% tactile control of the car no matter how aggressive you are. I think you'll love the car with an auto.

If you use a heavier duty auto and the proper management like you had mentioned you'll be in great shape.

--------------------

3rd gen ST205 3SGTE - Alive and boosting.
post Oct 14, 2006 - 1:24 AM
+Quote Post
BLADDER_MASTER

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '04
Currently Offline

Eh, IMO this idea is dumb, but to each their own. If you decide to go through with this, may I suggest you look into a 3S-GE auto tranny. Preferably a 3rd gen 3S-GE. Makes more power than a 5S-FE, so it's possible Toyota made the tranny stronger to handle the higher power. Tranny code E56.
post Oct 14, 2006 - 7:50 AM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

Eh, IMO I think your idea is dumb. I've got all the parts right here in front of me. A simple modification to the flexplate and it's all bolting up. No need to find an E56, auto 3SGE ECU, who knows what axles I'll need. I already found a company that sells a beefed up A140E if I break this one. Thanks for yet another worthless post.

--------------------
IPB Image
post Oct 14, 2006 - 8:35 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

guys, lets keep this thread on topic and clean. mad.gif
quite a few people (including myself) are very interested in what comes of this project.
next one to post a "this is dumb" or whatever gets a free vacation from the site.

justin, keep us posted on what comes of this. smile.gif

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Oct 14, 2006 - 2:40 PM
+Quote Post
BLADDER_MASTER

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '04
Currently Offline

QUOTE(WannabeGT4 @ Oct 14, 2006 - 7:50 AM) [snapback]491513[/snapback]

Eh, IMO I think your idea is dumb. I've got all the parts right here in front of me. A simple modification to the flexplate and it's all bolting up. No need to find an E56, auto 3SGE ECU, who knows what axles I'll need. I already found a company that sells a beefed up A140E if I break this one. Thanks for yet another worthless post.

I doubt you'll need the 3S-GE's ECU to make the auto tranny work. You could use your 5S axles. If you find it worthless, thats fine. I just figured you should try out a possibly stronger tranny than the 5S's. Good luck and be ready to dish out $2500 for that beefed up tranny. wink.gif
post Oct 14, 2006 - 2:52 PM
+Quote Post
BLADDER_MASTER

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '04
Currently Offline

QUOTE(presure2 @ Oct 14, 2006 - 8:35 AM) [snapback]491517[/snapback]

guys, lets keep this thread on topic and clean. mad.gif
quite a few people (including myself) are very interested in what comes of this project.
next one to post a "this is dumb" or whatever gets a free vacation from the site.

justin, keep us posted on what comes of this. smile.gif

YGPM.
post Oct 15, 2006 - 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

Thanks for the support guys, any updates will be posted here:

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26475

--------------------
IPB Image
post Mar 17, 2017 - 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
awais

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 17, '17
Currently Offline

I have a very clean corona 97 but it has 4AFE which is... well you know... very slow...

I have been trying to find out if there's an auto transmission available for 3SGE for front wheel drive setup?

Currently my corona with 4AFE is a/t so I want to keep it a/t with good power and the best option i see is 3SGE. Let me know if there's an auto for 3SGE for FWD... also what's the transmission code for it (if available)?
post Jun 14, 2017 - 12:34 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

11 year resurrection !! most these members have moved on...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jun 14, 2017 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

You'll probably need an A140H transmission unless you want to figure out the wiring of the A140E; I just fed the old 5SFE ECU enough information get it to shift the A140E on it's own. It started slipping after a while but who knows what condition it was in to start with as it had nearly 100,000 miles and wasn't well cared for before I got it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission

--------------------
IPB Image

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:55 AM