6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

60 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Richee3's Progress thread., Wilwood BBK installed.
post Mar 1, 2017 - 11:10 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Posting for no reason other than just keeping a record of when I did some maintenance. I set the car back on the ground tonight for the first time in about a month. I meant to just take it off the road for a weekend to do some simple maintenance but nothing ever seems to go well with projects that only take a weekend. The idea was to replace both front knuckles and bearings, driver side axle, rebuild all four calipers and replace the 19 year old brake lines with stainless braided lines, new parking brake shoes, and completely flush the brake fluid. Some of the project went smoothly but I ran into an issue with the shop that made my brake lines, followed by parking brake shoes that refused to cooperate. Turned out to be parking brake cables that were just starting to seize up, so that put the project behind another few days. When the cables arrived, they still didn't cooperate with me. While I was waiting for parts, I decided it was time to get rid of at least two of the junk Falken tires I had. Ideally I'd like to get all four but the CFO/wife would only give me enough allowance for two. She acts like we need new rear tires for the Supra as well as four new tires for the 4Runner, while we are simultaneously trying to finish up the last few projects on our house to get it listed for sale so we can move halfway across the country or something. But I digress, no two year bumps worth it without pictures.

Wow, fancy!

Pictures don't do the tires justice. They are BF Goodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S's. I would have liked to have gotten the regular Comp-2's to start running dedicated summer and winter tires but we have too much going on in other parts of life right now to dedicate the money to two sets of tires per car so I'm sticking with all seasons for now. These are ultra high performance all season tires, a category that I wasn't even aware existed. UHP and all seasons normally don't go together, but these tires are rated pretty well. Almost anything will outperform the Falkens I just replaced.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 14, 2017 - 11:24 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Well, as much as I hate to say it, age is finally getting the best of this car. We started smelling fuel a couple of months ago but that was around the time we were packing up for a big move halfway across the country. It’s no surprise that the hint of gas eventually turned into a pretty big leak from the tank. Had to buy an aftermarket tank, straps, and filler neck from RockAuto although they are still available from Toyota. However, I replaced the pipes and rubber hoses with OEM parts.

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

The new tank came with crappy silver spray paint that wouldn’t last a week under the car, so I tried a couple of different solutions. Truck bed liner seemed to work best. While the tank was down, I decided to drop the rear sway bar, clean the rust, and give it the POR15 treatment:

Typical of these old cars and ongoing projects, simply replacing the tank always snowballs into bigger jobs. I was going to drop the rear subframe and refinish it, and buy new rear bushings, but I honestly just got tired of the car being on jackstands and costing me $200 for this and $250 for that so I decided this was enough for now. I did take care of all of the rust that I could get to, cleaned up as much of the subframe that I had access to and finished it in POR15, and had to tackle one other project while the tank was down. As much of an improvement as the bushings would be, I have to consider safety before upgrades. Back in 2012, we had one of the steel brake lines going to the rear brakes rust through. I patched a new piece in but I’ve always questioned when the next spot to rust through will be. It happened at home in 2012, but next time could be an emergency situation. No sense in risking our safety or that of others, so I went ahead and replaced both hard lines with brand new OEM lines, and not a minute too soon.

And of course, I found the weakest spot when I was wiggling the passenger side brake line to drop it from the car.

But the new ones make up for the old rusty ones!

Aaaand while installing those this morning, I decided that no amount of money on earth can ever fix the newest problem with this car.

That’s it, guys. Progress thread over. Car’s burned to the ground. It was the only solution. Had a good run but we’ll just collect the Insurance money and import a GT4 later.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 15, 2017 - 12:10 AM
+Quote Post
Zake

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 7, '10
From Ft. Lauderdale
Currently Offline

that spider was a whole lot of "NOPE"

--------------------

Never Forget. - 2013 Mustang. I miss you every day.
post Oct 15, 2017 - 12:20 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Key word: was.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 15, 2017 - 12:48 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You made the right call, I'd have done the same.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 15, 2017 - 8:50 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Quality work as always, Sir.
post Oct 15, 2017 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Good stuff. Love the plate. Please tell me yours says "ISASUPRA."

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Oct 15, 2017 - 12:31 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 14, 2017 - 11:48 PM) *
You made the right call, I'd have done the same.

I had no choice. My hands were tied.

QUOTE (rave2n @ Oct 15, 2017 - 7:50 AM) *
Quality work as always, Sir.

Thanks! I’ve got my fingers crossed that you finish yours!

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 15, 2017 - 8:52 AM) *
Good stuff. Love the plate. Please tell me yours says "ISASUPRA."

laugh.gif No, it’s still “RICHEE3” but that’s not a bad idea for when I switch to Colorado plates!

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 16, 2017 - 9:21 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

you can't trust these spiders... they may have already made their way to the supra.... you know what you have to do...

and this wouldn't be the first time you collected insurance money from the celi. lol

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Oct 17, 2017 - 7:31 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

awesome update

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 20, 2017 - 10:57 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Laughed my ass off, thanks for that!

post Oct 20, 2017 - 2:06 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

Yes, very funny! Haha!

Brake cleaner works GREAT on bugs and spiders. They basically melt.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Oct 20, 2017 - 5:29 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Fire works great too as you can see. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 21, 2017 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Should've just given the spider the keys and walked away.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Dec 23, 2017 - 7:28 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Brigette surprised me with a Wilwood BBK for the Celica for Christmas, and since I didn’t have much else going on I decided to get to work. These came from another member’s car here on the forum, Csober. Most of you know that he sold his Celica to get his Z31 and the guy that bought it immediately started parting it out on Facebook. Kind of irritating to see such a nice car get parted, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want a few parts from it. Since we were in the middle of moving halfway across the country, I decided to be a responsible adult and keep my money. Brigette, on the other hand, didn’t. biggrin.gif

Comparison of stock GT brakes vs the Wilwood brakes.

Finally mounted.

My biggest concern with these was clearance. Having seen them on Tao’s car, I knew they were considerably larger than the stock calipers so I was concerned that my wheels may not fit anymore and I may need to get different spacers, but I got lucky and have miles of room.

Initial impression is that they work much better than my stock calipers and Hawk HPS pads. I’ve never liked the Hawk pads, since I don’t warm them up enough to be effective in daily driving. (Still waiting for an “I told you so” from Chris.) These have much better initial bite, but haven’t successfully ripped my face off yet. I’ve done a couple of hard stops from 20 and surprisingly, they didn’t even lock the wheels up. I will bed the pads in later, after the holidays when the highway patrol isn’t out in force. Perhaps these will grab harder as they get warmer as well. I didn’t even warm them up on my quick drive.

The calipers are significantly lighter than stock. I wish I had weighed then before mounting them. I currently have no plans for the rear brakes but I’m leaning towards ST205 brakes.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 23, 2017 - 8:09 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It was nice of her to buy you a present for her car. tongue.gif I wonder if they have a non drilled rotor available for them.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 24, 2017 - 4:55 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

Looks nice! I'm jelly.

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Dec 24, 2017 - 8:32 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

awesome on fuel restoration.

hopefully i dont have to do this. my cars been sitting for 16 months without any fuel additives....

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 24, 2017 - 10:17 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Those wheels are 17" Caldina wheels, right?

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Dec 25, 2017 - 12:05 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 23, 2017 - 8:09 PM) *
It was nice of her to buy you a present for her car. tongue.gif I wonder if they have a non drilled rotor available for them.

Right? Her car, her money, but it’s presented in a way like the parts are for me. There is a blank rotor option available, but I’ll keep the drilled rotors for now. I’ve heard tons of horror stories of drilled rotors cracking but it’s not like I’ll be doing any track days to heat the rotors up, so hopefully we won’t have any issues.

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Dec 24, 2017 - 4:55 PM) *
Looks nice! I'm jelly.

Thanks! Yours will be right there with mine in no time. smile.gif

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Dec 24, 2017 - 8:32 PM) *
awesome on fuel restoration.

hopefully i dont have to do this. my cars been sitting for 16 months without any fuel additives....

What’s had your car down for so long?

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Dec 24, 2017 - 10:17 PM) *
Those wheels are 17" Caldina wheels, right?

Depends on why you’re asking. If you want a set for your car, they are definitely something else from another car and you should get different wheels. For any other reason, they are Caldina/Matrix M Theory wheels, 17x7 +45.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.

60 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:39 AM