> Clutch rebuild
post Apr 23, 2018 - 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
the_jaydog

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 4, '16
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Hello All. This is my first post so please forgive me if this question has been asked elsewhere. I searched and didn't see anything that answered my questions exactly.

I am a pretty busy guy and my wife and I only have two vehicles. I have a 95 Celica ST with a manual trans and it has the 1.8 in it. For starters the motor runs like total crap as far a power is concerned but that is another issue. The clutch has become the more important issue right now. I have known it was going out about a year ago but wondered how long it would hang in there. Well...a year. That's about how long.

At any rate, on to my questions. First, I'm not new to auto repair. I know that sometimes on older vehicles 3 things will break while you are fixing one. Are there any parts on my particular Celica that I should repair or replace while I have the clutch out? I have honestly never worked on a standard transmission before but I have a cousin that is helping me and he is well versed. I'm just afraid something will either be broken when I take things apart, or something will break while changing it and then get a comment from some genius like, 'hell, I could have told you that". I'm just not really in the mood, lol. Aside from that, having to wait 2 weeks while something ships from BFE.

Thank you so much all.
Jason
post Apr 23, 2018 - 9:54 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Hi, and welcome to 6gc. Clutch is a pretty straight forward job on these cars, no nasty surprises. Couple of pointers:
1. Get an OEM throwout bearing. Aftermarket ones that come with clutch kits are known to fail early. If you can afford it, go for OEM clutch, pressure plate, and bearing - it's not much more expensive, and you don't have to worry about squeaky TOBs or clutch pedal that is out of adjustment range (with some aftermarket stuff).
2. If the engine is higher mileage, consider replacing the rear main seal. There will be no better time than during a clutch job. Many say if it doesn't leak don't fix it, but they all eventually leak and the clutch has to come out to replace it.
3. It's a good idea to resurface the flywheel, though some folks skip this step if the old one is in good shape. Hard to tell until you see it.

Don't break and bolts and you'll be fine.
post Apr 23, 2018 - 10:31 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

I'm about to do the same thing soon.
some things you could change or at least take a look at while you're at it:
axles, check the boots and axle seals. they gotta come out anyways so it's a good time to change them if you need.
check any other suspension bits, starter, and engine/trans mounts

other than that, like slavie said, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Apr 24, 2018 - 12:09 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

you can get a clutch from the 2000+ GT celica. the 7A uses the same one. im pretty sure the TO bearing is the same as well. as for the seals, im on the side of leave it alone if its not leaking.

I have a guide on here to pull the engine, several of the steps are the same for pulling the trans. I dont think i made a guide for changing the clutch. I did write one for the 7th gen. it might help you too

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=334603

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Apr 30, 2018 - 11:08 PM
+Quote Post
the_jaydog

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 4, '16
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Thank you all for the reply. I'm hoping to get started on it Wednesday. I took you're advise and ordered a OEM clutch kit but I ordered a Timken bearing to use instead of the one that ships with the clutch. I also ordered a Felpro rear main seal. It's been leaking for quite some time now so this is the perfect time to do it. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Thanks again!!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:22 AM