> Keep 5SFE instead of swap?
post Jul 5, 2016 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
Wizit

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 5, '16
From Missouri
Currently Offline

Hey guys, i'm having a delima on whether I should swap out my 5SFE or keep it. The only reason is because I bought my 1999 GT from an old guy with only 50k on the engine (One owner car). Still had all of the original paperwork and receipts for everything. After taking this car about 6k miles and installing a performance clutch in there the car is running flawlessly and everything is clean so I have NO REASON to suspect any mileage rollback.

The kind of build I had in mind was just a simple turbo and enough boost to get some blow off valves going, to be honest I love everything about Celica cars and I own 3 of them. Gen 6's have such a sexy look to them and I want to have a small kick to it but not be so overtuned that I can't take it out as a DD incase of an emergency. What do you guys think about this? Since i'm not looking for any kind of 300hp boost or anything I assume that I could rebuild my 5SFE and run a little boost to it and not have an issue however I'm not afraid to say that out of all the work I have done on my Celicas, boosting the Engine is something I don't know much about so any advice/opinions are appreciated. Thanks!!!!
post Jul 6, 2016 - 7:41 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

leave it alone. turboing a 5S is not an easy task. If you really want a swap, read the stickies to see whats out there.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 31, 2016 - 2:31 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I currently have a 5sfe turbo. I definitely like the way it performs. The idea of running low boost and not modding the engine too dangerous. I set my 5s on fire with that mentality. To do a 5sfe turbo right (low or high boost) you need to ensure the bottom end is built right (rods are in good shape, metal head gasket, and good piston rings) and you need a standalone ECU. Unless you are willing to do all that, I am with Smaay, keep the engine stock. If you are looking for small, safe gains in performance, get a K&N drop in filter, headers, full exhaust, and webcams.
post Jul 31, 2016 - 2:47 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

Just a FYI. My buddy with a 5sfte mr2. Blew 3 5sfe within a year. That's with 10 psi and tuned.

--------------------
post Aug 2, 2016 - 8:48 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Jul 31, 2016 - 2:47 PM) *
Just a FYI. My buddy with a 5sfte mr2. Blew 3 5sfe within a year. That's with 10 psi and tuned.

really??

beams redtop owners say 6-7psi on stock redtop will be able to handle it just fine

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Aug 3, 2016 - 11:09 AM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

Yea. Now he's looking into a 3sgte swap. He said the headache for the 5sfte isnt worth it. But then again. I also have another mr2 buddy with a 5sfte meth at 10 psi. He's been running fine for a couple years. He's doing a rebuild atm. And possibly run more boost.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:36 AM