post Oct 29, 2013 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Well Guys As i Promised

(looks like the previous owner didnt like the original red look it had easy fix tho he plastidipped so it scrapes off

Lsd equipped so im set haha

the sensor looked fine

--------------------
post Oct 29, 2013 - 3:22 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Oct 28, 2013 - 8:42 PM) *
cheer up. my engine was messed up and didn't have a car for 3 months. glad to see another guy with beams swap

And thanks man you and nj and batman have inspired me to go through with this swap so thank you guys for the write ups and everything

--------------------
post Oct 29, 2013 - 10:40 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

That is a valve, not a sensor. Where is the throttle body? No throttle body, no deal in my book. They are rather difficult to track down and pretty expensive when you do find one.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 30, 2013 - 2:23 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Oct 29, 2013 - 11:40 PM) *
That is a valve, not a sensor. Where is the throttle body? No throttle body, no deal in my book. They are rather difficult to track down and pretty expensive when you do find one.

I apologize for my ignorance i thought it was a sensor im still a newbie at this kindasad.gif but as for the throttle it did come with the purchase it was simply off for some reason.but as far as i know it came complete.
i got everything at venus auto for only 1300 got the engine, ECU, the complete wire harnesses, the lsd tranny, the axles, and the downpipe.

--------------------
post Oct 30, 2013 - 4:49 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

It's called an oil control valve, basically it routes oil and controls the VVT-i. As long as the throttle body is included, you should be good. They sell by themselves for about $400, so you're definitely better off getting it with the motor. And chance of getting the intake with it? B pipe is a plus.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 30, 2013 - 9:04 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Oct 30, 2013 - 5:49 PM) *
It's called an oil control valve, basically it routes oil and controls the VVT-i. As long as the throttle body is included, you should be good. They sell by themselves for about $400, so you're definitely better off getting it with the motor. And chance of getting the intake with it? B pipe is a plus.

well ive been thinking of using my weapon R intake from my 5sfe motor not sure if i should go with the mushroom looking one but yea. still having it get worked on also ive heard that my headers and intake can fit on the beams is this true i need input?

--------------------
post Oct 30, 2013 - 9:27 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

I'll save richee the time
No your intake an header will NOT work on the beams
The stock beams header is better anyway.
Your weapon r intake won't work either there's no housing for the Maf sensor.
The beams is a very picky engine when it comes to intake.
You will lose power by not running the stock intake box an tube.

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Oct 30, 2013 - 9:51 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Oct 30, 2013 - 10:27 PM) *
I'll save richee the time
No your intake an header will NOT work on the beams
The stock beams header is better anyway.
Your weapon r intake won't work either there's no housing for the Maf sensor.
The beams is a very picky engine when it comes to intake.
You will lose power by not running the stock intake box an tube.

bummer frown.gif but thanks man for the heads up then much appreciated

--------------------
post Oct 30, 2013 - 10:33 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

No problem
You could buy a Maf adapter housing. But it'll never run as good without the stock intake.

This post has been edited by kurt95gt: Oct 30, 2013 - 10:33 PM

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Oct 31, 2013 - 1:15 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I've been short on free time lately and not getting much sleep, so I apologize for any abruptness. This is a forum and we're all here to help.

I'll start by clarifying a few things. The BEAMS is a 3S-GE, so the difference in the swap is minimal. The nuts and bolts portion is the same, and to my understanding wiring is similar. The biggest difference between the two swaps is the cost.

I've posted the necessary wiring changes in a few places; somewhere deep on my thread, page 1 of ricochet1490's thread, and a few other places.

To do a BEAMS swap, all you really need is the engine, uncut harness, and ECU. You can use your GT mounts and trans. Then there extras that aren't a hundred percent necessary but do save a lot if time and money. Things like the B pipe and intake, for instance. The B pipe can be fabricated at an exhaust shop but it's easier to get the stock one. The intake is the single most problematic part of a BEAMS swap. The MAF sensor in the intake of a BEAMS determines 90% of how the engine will run. It's extremely finicky. It's so picky, in fact, that if you check out the dynos on the BEAMS Owners Group, you'll see several instances where the OEM intake makes more power than any aftermarket intake. The only aftermarket intake specifically designed for the Redtop is the $300 SARD Sports+ EX, and it's debatable if it does any better than the cheaper OEM intake. You can get away with using a $30 Camry intake but you'll be missing some power.

Anything I missed, I'll try to answer tomorrow. That's all I can think of for now and I know I'm missing quite a bit.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 31, 2013 - 3:45 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

sard intake is 300 new used is $100-$150

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Oct 31, 2013 - 3:55 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

hks intake is rare biggrin.gif

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 31, 2013 - 3:57 PM
+Quote Post
FORGMANN

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 11, '04
From WI
Currently Offline

Did you get from Venus Autoparts in town?

I have beams airbox if you need one PM me

This post has been edited by FORGMANN: Oct 31, 2013 - 3:58 PM

--------------------
Old guy with the toys
95 ST205 WRC (the real deal)
94 MR2 HARDTOP Supercharged 2GR/6SPD 22 owned
post Oct 31, 2013 - 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Oct 31, 2013 - 3:45 PM) *
sard intake is 300 new used is $100-$150

The IS uses a completely different MAF.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 31, 2013 - 7:48 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (FORGMANN @ Oct 31, 2013 - 3:57 PM) *
Did you get from Venus Autoparts in town?

I have beams airbox if you need one PM me

well imma try and see if im lucky to find one at venus auto if not ill be sure to pm you bro

thank you everyone for your input and feedback on this well today marks day three so ill check in. i was told today by my mechanic that hell have the engine in by monday an try start up by monday so i hope all goes well. im both excited and nervous at the same time in the mean time ill try my luck finding extra parts

--------------------
post Nov 1, 2013 - 6:18 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I knew I missed something. For the clutch, seems like a few people have had luck with running an upgraded 5S clutch kit on the BEAMS flywheel. I went with the tried and true 3S-GTE lightweight flywheel, 5S disc, ST185 pressure plate, and. 5S throw out bearing (all OEM Toyota.) Works great, feels awesome, drives like stock.

The engine probably will not stay running without an intake. The MAF will detect no airflow and will kill everything. It will run with the MAF unplugged, but won't run well. Just a heads up for your mechanic.

What are you doing for your tachometer? Tach converter or BEAMS cluster? Be sure to post pictures along the way.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 2, 2013 - 12:16 AM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 1, 2013 - 6:18 PM) *
I knew I missed something. For the clutch, seems like a few people have had luck with running an upgraded 5S clutch kit on the BEAMS flywheel. I went with the tried and true 3S-GTE lightweight flywheel, 5S disc, ST185 pressure plate, and. 5S throw out bearing (all OEM Toyota.) Works great, feels awesome, drives like stock.

The engine probably will not stay running without an intake. The MAF will detect no airflow and will kill everything. It will run with the MAF unplugged, but won't run well. Just a heads up for your mechanic.

What are you doing for your tachometer? Tach converter or BEAMS cluster? Be sure to post pictures along the way.

well ill be sure to let my mechanic know still havent had time to check at venus since im car less atm but hopefully i find one and as far as the tach goes i have a hybrid cluster i posted a thread a while back.
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...t=#entry1006576

--------------------
post Nov 2, 2013 - 7:54 AM
+Quote Post
FORGMANN

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 11, '04
From WI
Currently Offline

Options you have

Beams cluster with easy to wire kph to mph converter
Beams tach with 7k redline 3sge face in black- use rest of current cluster
You hybrid cluster
In my 205 i used converter to mph on 300kph TRD cluster and all beams orange needles

I have tons of beams and 3sge cluster parts if need anything

--------------------
Old guy with the toys
95 ST205 WRC (the real deal)
94 MR2 HARDTOP Supercharged 2GR/6SPD 22 owned
post Nov 4, 2013 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Well more pics the engine is now mounted and the wiring has been done so far so good

my mechanic told me that on start up check engine may light up any way to possibly fix that??
Theres still a few things left to do but overall im pretty excited

maybe not the best angle to take a pic of the tranny but well there it is

--------------------
post Nov 4, 2013 - 4:08 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The check engine light will definitely be on if it's started as is, since it won't get a proper MAF reading. It's best to get an intake hooked up before startup to sort out any other codes it may throw so you don't have to deal with redundant codes.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:58 PM