6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newer Cars Rant, Why must they complicate things so much?!?
post Dec 11, 2017 - 6:09 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If you're going to buy a "new car" the best way is to do is 2-3 years old and certified so it carries over the warranty, so then the first owner took the biggest depreciation hit but you still get a fairly new car with warranty.

Thing is though with older cars if you buy a good example of a car that's known to be reliable it'll just be wear and tear stuff, yeah that'll probably come soon unless the previous owner already took care of it but unless it's something ultra rare or odd maintenance parts are cheap. So spending $5K on a really nice 20 year old car with 100K or less miles on it, and if you have to spend $1K on tires, suspension, brakes, etc... you'll still come out ahead in the long run.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 12, 2017 - 7:41 AM
+Quote Post
d3ath2009

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '10
From Portsmouth, OH
Currently Offline

20 year old car with 100k miles laugh.gif Most around here are well over the 200k mile mark by now. Anything with 100k or less is less than 10 years old anymore.
post Dec 12, 2017 - 8:16 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

My almost 22 year old car is right under 120K, so they're out there. I think if you could get under 150K being 20+ years old you'd still be doing ok for the most part.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 12, 2017 - 12:05 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

You just need to look outside of your area.

I searched for 8 months for my LS430. Locally, they were going for $14k with +120k miles.

I picked mine up in Tampa, FROM A DEALER, for $14k with 58k miles.

It was one of the best automotive moves I've ever made.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Dec 12, 2017 - 1:23 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

If it's not the million miles LS, no care.

--------------------
post Dec 12, 2017 - 1:29 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

My next grocery getter will be a used Lexus once I retire one of the two that I have. I've been so happy with my ES330.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Dec 12, 2017 - 1:57 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Dec 12, 2017 - 2:23 PM) *
If it's not the million miles LS, no care.

I'm working on it getting there Jordan. Calm down.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Dec 12, 2017 - 10:58 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Needs a couple turbos to get there faster. laugh.gif

I do have one new car complaint, STOP ****ING USING ****TY PLASTIC IN CONTACT WITH HOT ****ING COOLANT. Why and how some car makers have plastic cooling system parts that last for ever (cough toyota/honda) and everyone else can't seem to get it right is beyond me. 1ZZ's running around with 500,000 miles and plastic t-stat housings and 2ZZ's running around with 200,000 miles and plastic water pumps while VW/BMW/Ford/GM/etc have plastic cooling system parts that literally crumble apart at 100K or under. Is it their coolant formulation? Is it the type of plastic used? I don't know and they don't seem to care.

--------------------
post Dec 12, 2017 - 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hmm, the only plastic in my cooling system is the radiator tanks and it's doing a lot better job of holding up than any Japanese radiators of the same time. The radiator in my brother's Miata is newer and has a little less miles on it and it's already dried out and cracked, yet mine still looks perfectly fine and it gets a lot hotter under the hood of the Firebird. I think it's the type of plastic used, some are more heat and chemical resistant than others. I guess most everyone decided to follow BMW's model set forth with the E36 where the entire cooling system needs replaced every 60-100K miles.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 26, 2017 - 2:42 PM
+Quote Post
VavAlephVav

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 3, '13
From Missourah
Currently Offline

I'd say if you're going to buy a new car, well buy another Toyota silly tongue.gif

I just got a 2014 Corolla Le and its a freakin beauty. LED headlights, back up cam and a touch screen radio but not the silly things i don't want like auto lights, or lane departure BS.
2ZR-FE with a CVT and it feels as roomy as a Caddy compared to the Celica.
You can go as fast as you want on the highway and the CVT will still adjust down so that the engine speed is 2k rpm, and you're getting 40mpg.
I'm gonna put another 200K miles on this thing. Toyota Corolla, that's all the warranty I need.

Oh What a Feeling!

This post has been edited by VavAlephVav: Dec 26, 2017 - 2:44 PM

--------------------
Bust a Deal; Face the Wheel.
post Dec 26, 2017 - 3:07 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

My next car will be a brand new Toyota. I plan on getting a TRD PRO Tacoma when I pay down my student debt.

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Dec 27, 2017 - 11:16 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

my next car will be a ford, so it will guzzle gas and nickle and dime me to death....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Dec 27, 2017 - 4:20 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Dec 27, 2017 - 10:16 AM) *
my next car will be a ford, so it will guzzle gas and nickle and dime me to death....

You don't even like domestics, but if you were to get one it should have a V8 and be RWD. Anything else is anywhere from sketchy to straight up terrible. Also preferably a GM, out of the three they seem to be the best.

My next car will be old and is yet to be decided. Or maybe my leg will regain feeling and control and then I won't have to be bothered.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 30, 2017 - 2:41 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

my next car is actually a supra, 1981. got it yesterday.

Started to part out today. bought for 500 bucks, will make a few bucks out of it, got the famous rear end, that some guys have paid up to 1000 bucks lol

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 2:58 PM