> Got over my 7g GTS, thinking of going back to 6GC
post Nov 29, 2017 - 3:25 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

So, I think I'm over my 7th gen GTS. I mean, the car is light and changes direction very well. The 2ZZ is pure joy... once you've climbed past 4k, though even at street speeds it still has plenty of power to zip around.
The TRD Action Package rear bumper and spoiler look fantastic in my eyes.

BUT
INTERIOR: it is HORRIBLE. I mean, it was supposed to be cheaper, and cheaper it turned out. Hard plastic everywhere. Can't rest either elbow (the moron that made the cover in b/w seats out of hard plastic should be shot), and the door sill is way too high (blame crash requirements) and hard plastic anyway.
SEATS: the leather seats feel like they were made of the cheapest leather available, which they probably were. They wear well (hardly at all), but the way they feel, they might as well be made out of vinyl - why all the craze about swapping 7th gen seats into 6gc?
SHIFTER: the shifter sucks. The shift gates are just too damn close to each other. I routinely go from 2nd to 5th, and I've been driving stick for years on road and track, so I'm inclined to blame the car.

Over the weekend, I visited my 99 GT w/ 3SGTE that's sitting in storage: the interior is 2 levels above 7GC's. Soft or softer materials anywhere you touch. The leather in the seats is much softer (even though they all crack kindasad.gif) and more pliable, so the seat just grabs your butt better. Better climate controls (vs cheaper mechanical linkages in 7GC). The whole "cockpit" just looks more sophisticated. No issues with shifter.
Then I revved that 3SGT to some 7k rpm, and damn that thing sounds GOOD. (granted, no exhaust on it at the moment, just the header).

Sooooo.
I think I'll take my GT4 front end off the sale, sell my 7th Gen, and build myself a rather unique looking 6GC - a car that actually has some connection to motorsport. If I could only find a TRD spoiler for it, that would make the back end look as good as that of 7GC and totally complete the package.

Whatcha all think?

post Nov 29, 2017 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

6th gen feels better all around. only thing really missing is power and that can be easily dont with a 3s or v6 swap.
I love the interior of the 6th gen, like u said sophisticated. and I only swapped in 7th gen seats because I hated the tan seats and got them for a steal.
other than that, I do really miss how well the 6th gen seats hug you. 6th gen was a real car made with real parts. 7th gen is 90% plastic.

also, 7th gens are a dime a dozen. they're everywhere and not holding that much value. i'm surprised to see 6th gens holding their value to almost match 7th gen prices lately so it's nice.

This post has been edited by cheela: Nov 29, 2017 - 5:14 PM

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Nov 29, 2017 - 5:18 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

7th gen TRD Sports M couldn't even compete with Type R. Nough said.

Replica Spoiler Found on ebay

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 29, 2017 - 6:43 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Then again not like the SS-III could compete with the Type-R either.

Just get an Integra, job done.

Stock for stock for the U.S. I'd say the 7th gen GT-S hands down, but if you V6 or 3S-GTE swap a 6th gen then I'd say it. Also for what it's worth the 7th gen was also used in motor sports, albeit more heavily modified from production in most instances. If you don't like the 7th gen then no point in keeping it, sell it and put the money towards finishing the 6th gen.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 29, 2017 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

dont listen to Box with car opinions, he cannot ever be happy with any car....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 29, 2017 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm happy with the Firebird, I'm just not happy with the fact I can't drive it. I also really like the NB2 Miata my brother bought. Besides I'm a lot better at figuring out what other people want than I am for myself. Maybe I should start pretending I'm someone else when I try to decide for myself. Besides wouldn't you agree with my assessment of a V6 or 3S-GTE swapped 6th gen over a 7th gen GT-S? The only other thing to take into consideration is the 7th gen will be lighter, and the chassis will be stiffer. Looks are subjective, but I like how the 6th gen looks more and there's no questioning which has the nicer interior.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 30, 2017 - 9:43 AM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

I've never been a fan of the 7th gen . I'd say sell it and get back to the 6gc!

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Nov 30, 2017 - 12:50 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

The 7th Feb isn't for everyone, I agree the interior is cheap but it's solid and even with my hard ass suspension and engine mount it 9nly has a few rattles which are my fault. It all fits nicely together and doesn't look that awful but yes next to a 6th gen it doesn't hold a candle. A MZ swapped 6th gen would be a great day driver and wonderful highway cruiser and I'd take that over a 7th gen hands down.

--------------------
post Nov 30, 2017 - 3:50 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

Buy whatever makes you happy and invest in that. Don't look at it as an investment or anything like that or something to get your money back on. Just buy whatever you think will bring you the most joy.

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Nov 30, 2017 - 4:28 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

I miss my 7th gen every day...

This post has been edited by narly_charley: Nov 30, 2017 - 4:33 PM

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Nov 30, 2017 - 7:37 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

A big factor I think is that I finally built a 6GC racecar (my LeMons 96), so I don't really need a street car that can handle the track anymore. I think I want something a little more unique than even an action pack 7th gen can offer. I mean, there are 2 other 7th gen GT cars just in my neighborhood, and I do run into action pack ones now and then.
6GCs are much more rare, let alone ones with GT4 nose - as a matter of fact, I have never seen another one in person.

As for weight, stock for stock, 7 gen GTS/6spd is 2500lbs, whereas 6 gen GT/5spd Liftback is 2580lbs. So it's not THAT much. 3SGTE would add another ~100lbs, but possibly a LOT more power and torque than 2ZZ.

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 29, 2017 - 5:18 PM) *
7th gen TRD Sports M couldn't even compete with Type R. Nough said.

Replica Spoiler Found on ebay

Link? I can't find one.

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Nov 30, 2017 - 3:50 PM) *
Buy whatever makes you happy and invest in that. Don't look at it as an investment or anything like that or something to get your money back on. Just buy whatever you think will bring you the most joy.

Yea, modded cars are not good from investment point of view in general. But, I have no problem with that where I'm at now financially.

QUOTE (cheela @ Nov 29, 2017 - 5:13 PM) *
6th gen feels better all around. only thing really missing is power and that can be easily dont with a 3s or v6 swap.
I love the interior of the 6th gen, like u said sophisticated. and I only swapped in 7th gen seats because I hated the tan seats and got them for a steal.
other than that, I do really miss how well the 6th gen seats hug you. 6th gen was a real car made with real parts. 7th gen is 90% plastic.

also, 7th gens are a dime a dozen. they're everywhere and not holding that much value. i'm surprised to see 6th gens holding their value to almost match 7th gen prices lately so it's nice.

Ideally I'd like a Redtop Beams in there, but I live in NY and have to content with ridiculous emissions related laws. That's the main reason why my 3SGTE isn't running on the road still.

Latest plan is to actually use 1ZZ brains on Redtop Beams (it actually does run so-so, according to folks on mr2oc), or 5SFE on 3SGTE. A PITA either way though.
QUOTE (narly_charley @ Nov 30, 2017 - 4:28 PM) *

And which port is it that you miss? Just curious.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 29, 2017 - 6:43 PM) *
Then again not like the SS-III could compete with the Type-R either.

Just get an Integra, job done.

Stock for stock for the U.S. I'd say the 7th gen GT-S hands down, but if you V6 or 3S-GTE swap a 6th gen then I'd say it. Also for what it's worth the 7th gen was also used in motor sports, albeit more heavily modified from production in most instances. If you don't like the 7th gen then no point in keeping it, sell it and put the money towards finishing the 6th gen.

Yea, not a Honda guy here.
post Nov 30, 2017 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

QUOTE (narly_charley @ Nov 30, 2017 - 4:28 PM) *

I know. Remember I wanted to buy it from you, LOL.

I just really liked the seats, with that type of blue inserts, seams like its a rare option or something.
post Dec 5, 2017 - 3:31 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

what are the emissions check?

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Dec 5, 2017 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

1zz brains on a beams haha please don't. a company called brashboy used to make a plug and play power fc ecu and you needed 1zz coilpacks. your better off with an aem ems4 or an adaptronic entry level ecu. power fc is so 90's technology.

you have a pm.....

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 5, 2017 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Dec 5, 2017 - 4:31 PM) *
what are the emissions check?

Needs to be OBD2 compliant and report readiness monitors to state computer via OBD2 hookup. Yea...
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Dec 5, 2017 - 9:28 PM) *
1zz brains on a beams haha please don't. a company called brashboy used to make a plug and play power fc ecu and you needed 1zz coilpacks. your better off with an aem ems4 or an adaptronic entry level ecu. power fc is so 90's technology.

you have a pm.....

Already have a Haltech Platinum 1000 sitting on my desk. 1zz is purely for emissions purposes to be plugged in once a year for inspection. Already have spare set of 1zz coils. Just need the damn thing to pass readiness monitors and talk OBD2 for 90 seconds.
I also have a PFC on my 2ZZ, thought I don't think it's worth the trouble of trying to mate that up. Will probably sell that off right after the GTS goes. frown.gif

The earlier plan was to use 5SFE brains with maybe eManage Ultimate (that I also already have w/ 5SFE wiring harness) on my 2nd Gen 3SGTE and just run the wastegate wide open (so that no boost is built) long enough to pass readiness and inspection. The problem with 5S is that distro is different than the 3S, and I would need to rework the wiring harness significantly to change to MAP instead of the stupid AFM.

Don't know. Need to make up my mind and make something work instead of hoarding expensive parts. Or maybe start another thread in the appropriate section?
post Dec 5, 2017 - 9:31 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If emissions is an issue then the only thing I'd know to do is get a '94-95 Celica GT and use the '99 and whatever parts you have to build it, unless your state is all emissions Nazi with OBD-I as well.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 5, 2017 - 9:55 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 5, 2017 - 9:31 PM) *
If emissions is an issue then the only thing I'd know to do is get a '94-95 Celica GT and use the '99 and whatever parts you have to build it, unless your state is all emissions Nazi with OBD-I as well.

That would work, but my search efforts for a white 94-95 with no rust have not yielded anything comparable to my practically rust-free 99 shell with 109k on it. Besides, swapping everything over and selling the 99 would be quite the chore in and of itself.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 19th, 2024 - 4:42 AM