> Door Panels, Pics Wanted
post Jul 27, 2005 - 11:39 AM
+Quote Post
Fastbird

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '05
From Fort Wayne, IN
Currently Offline

Can someone show me pics of door panels in a factory configuration, of each of the following:

4 Speaker Soundsystem
6 Speaker Soundsystem
8 Speaker "Premium" Soundsystem

Just want to have a comparison.

--------------------
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Jul 27, 2005 - 6:28 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

I found this
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11536 ,- info I found

and these (usually STs)
4 speaker (no tweeters, 1 in each door, 1 in each rear panel)
user posted image

6 speaker (1 tweeter in each mirror triangle, 1 in each door, 1 in each rear panel)
user posted image

8 speaker (1 tweeter in each mirror triangle, 2 in each door (4"and 6.5"), 1 in each rear panel)
user posted image

Also, GTs have a stock amp, and the premium has 2 amps. hope that helps.

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2005 - 6:38 PM
+Quote Post
Fastbird

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '05
From Fort Wayne, IN
Currently Offline

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank!!

I have the one in the middle, the six speaker system. You said that GT's had a factory amp. WILL that affect the install of an aftermarket head unit?? Will I be able to use a plug and play wiring harness on the aftermarket head unit?

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2005 - 6:52 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

OK read this

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18445&hl=

and this

install doctor pdf how-to for 94-99 celica

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2005 - 6:55 PM
+Quote Post
runriot95

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 1, '02
From Pittsburgh, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Fastbird @ Jul 27, 2005 - 4:38 PM)
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Thank!!

I have the one in the middle, the six speaker system.  You said that GT's had a factory amp.  WILL that affect the install of an aftermarket head unit??  Will I be able to use a plug and play wiring harness on the aftermarket head unit?
[right][snapback]317519[/snapback][/right]

Yes and yes.

If you DON'T want to use the factory amp, you have to find the factory wiring that plugs into the amp. The config is like this; factory radio wires to factory amp, wiring from amp to factory wiring. The factory wiring has 2 blue plugs that plug into the wiring that goes to the amp. Unfortunately, these plugs are usually located UNDER the factory amp, which can be difficult to get to.

If you want to USE the factory amp, I believe they sell an adapter that plugs into your aftermarket stereo's pre-outs. I've never used this myself but if you want to use the factory amp with your aftermarket stereo then I think this is the only way to go.
post Jul 28, 2005 - 7:30 AM
+Quote Post
Fastbird

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '05
From Fort Wayne, IN
Currently Offline

So probably my best option for an easy install would be to get an 87 up Toyota wiring harness adapter for all my power feeds, ect., for the head unit, and then an aftermarket amp for the front door components and rear side panel coaxials. Then just comepletely re-wire the speakers off of the aftermarket amp.

Will the above scenario work without having to do a bunch of factory wiring harness cutting and splicing?? THAT is what I want to avoid. I'd like to be able to return everything to factory without being hacked up.

Lastly, WTF was toyota thinking, and why is there no simple solution.

--------------------
post Jul 28, 2005 - 8:11 AM
+Quote Post
runriot95

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 1, '02
From Pittsburgh, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Fastbird @ Jul 28, 2005 - 5:30 AM)
So probably my best option for an easy install would be to get an 87 up Toyota wiring harness adapter for all my power feeds, ect., for the head unit, and then an aftermarket amp for the front door components and rear side panel coaxials.  Then just comepletely re-wire the speakers off of the aftermarket amp. 

Will the above scenario work without having to do a bunch of factory wiring harness cutting and splicing??  THAT is what I want to avoid.  I'd like to be able to return everything to factory without being hacked up. 

Lastly, WTF was toyota thinking, and why is there no simple solution.
[right][snapback]317668[/snapback][/right]

Yes, that is exactly what I did. You will not have to cut a single factory wire using this method.

Like I said in my previous post though, the plugs for the factory wiring are located UNDER the amp and mine were actually fastened to the bottom of the amp making it almost impossible to get to them without removing all the console trim -which I eventually did. Maybe on yours you can just reach under the amp and pull them out into view.

Despite the extra work, I still would recommend bypassing the factory amp and going with a good external amp.

Depending on your setup preferences, you can use an external amp to power your front comps and maybe a sub(if you get a 4 ch amp) and use the new head unit to power the rears.

As for why Toyota set it up this way, this actually is the simplest solution. For the models that DON'T have an amp, you can just buy the wiring harness adapter and unplug the factory stereo and plug your adapter into the factory wiring. But with the premium sound system, Toyota inserted an amp into the equation, making it more difficult to get to that factory wiring. And remember, car manufacturers don't build cars to make it easy for customers to pull out THEIR stereo and put in a different one.

Anyway, good luck, and if you have questions with this whole process, just ask.
post Jul 28, 2005 - 8:36 AM
+Quote Post
Fastbird

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '05
From Fort Wayne, IN
Currently Offline

One question:

For the wiring harness to plug and play a new head unit with the factory amp, where do I get it and what's the brand/part number.

I'll probably run the speakers off the factory amp at first and then move to an aftermarket amp when I feel like it. I'm mainly itching to get an iPod ready head unit to start things off.

--------------------
post Jul 28, 2005 - 12:18 PM
+Quote Post
jbcustom

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 25, '04
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

8 speaker (1 tweeter in each mirror triangle, 2 in each door (4"and 6.5"), 1 in each rear panel)
user posted image

actually in the premium audio package the doors house 8" drivers, some models such as the Kicker SSMB8's will not fit the bracket perfectly, thus require some modifications
post Jul 28, 2005 - 12:35 PM
+Quote Post
Fastbird

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '05
From Fort Wayne, IN
Currently Offline

Yeah, I've got no problem getting adapters. I just need to find out what wiring harness to use with the factory amp.

--------------------
post Jul 28, 2005 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Batman722 @ Jul 27, 2005 - 5:28 PM)
user posted image

[right][snapback]317513[/snapback][/right]

i have the 8 speaker premium package in mine.. but i only see one amp which is located beneath the driver seat. where is the other one?

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Jul 28, 2005 - 2:26 PM
+Quote Post
runriot95

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 1, '02
From Pittsburgh, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Jul 28, 2005 - 12:12 PM)
user posted image

i have the 8 speaker premium package in mine.. but i only see one amp which is located beneath the driver seat. where is the other one?
[right][snapback]317768[/snapback][/right]

The other one is behind the HVAC controls. If you remove that trim, you should see a silver cigar-shaped box directly underneath the factory stereo.
post Jul 28, 2005 - 10:56 PM
+Quote Post
dustin15brown

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '03
From Bloomington, Indiana
Currently Offline

Dude the 8 speaker is sexy... I want...

--------------------
post Jul 29, 2005 - 12:56 AM
+Quote Post
urbandork

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 16, '04
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE(runriot95 @ Jul 28, 2005 - 7:26 PM)
QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Jul 28, 2005 - 12:12 PM)
user posted image

[right][snapback]317768[/snapback][/right]

The other one is behind the HVAC controls. If you remove that trim, you should see a silver cigar-shaped box directly underneath the factory stereo.
[right][snapback]317772[/snapback][/right]

having an 8 spk system and taking off that panel i can confirm the 2nd amp.
post Mar 7, 2006 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
jdg371

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 14, '05
Currently Offline

BAck from the dead...

i was wondering how hard would it be to make my ST (4speaker) into either 6/8speaker system.
post Mar 8, 2006 - 3:29 PM
+Quote Post
tomazws

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 30, '04
From So Cal
Currently Offline

QUOTE(jbcustom @ Jul 28, 2005 - 5:18 PM) [snapback]317742[/snapback]

user posted image

actually in the premium audio package the doors house 8" drivers, some models such as the Kicker SSMB8's will not fit the bracket perfectly, thus require some modifications

i wish i have this door....

--------------------
post Mar 9, 2006 - 1:45 AM
+Quote Post
snadman

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 1, '02
From Minnesota, USA
Currently Offline

user posted image

That's an edited GT 6 speaker system...I made it an 8 speaker system. 8" subs, 5 1/4" mids...tweets...and some nice rear fills. Too bad it died and I put this system in my civic. It sounded excellent though. A nicer idea though would be to do a smaller 5 1/4" or even a 4" or 3" mid. Diamond Audio has a sweet 3 speaker setup with crossover that offers a 7" sub, 3 or 4" mid and then the tweet.

--------------------
95 Toyota Celica GT
Dead for now --> Soon to have a 3S-GTE

02 WRX --> This is for speed
- Borla Exhaust
- TurboXS BOV
- Custom CAI

02 Civic EX
- MB Quart Reference 5.25" Components
- Rockford MTX 8" Subs in the doors
- Alpine Type S Rear Fills
- 2x Alpine SWR-1042D Subs in a custom fiberglass box
- Alpine F345 Amp for the front doors
- Alpine M605 on each Type R
- Phoenix Gold wiring
- Alpine CDA-9855 Head Unit
- Alpine Amp link
- 2x Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Caps
- The best Viper 791 alarm install ever
post Mar 9, 2006 - 2:12 AM
+Quote Post
dlx742

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '05
From San Diego
Currently Offline

how would you put a 6.5" speaker in the door where the 8" normally goes. would use some kind of bracket?
post Mar 9, 2006 - 4:36 PM
+Quote Post
jdg371

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 14, '05
Currently Offline

QUOTE(dlx742 @ Mar 9, 2006 - 2:12 AM) [snapback]404988[/snapback]

how would you put a 6.5" speaker in the door where the 8" normally goes. would use some kind of bracket?

I believe its 6.5 stock, and if you wanted 8 they remove the ring around the speaker
post Mar 11, 2006 - 12:04 AM
+Quote Post
soven

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 14, '05
From Auckland,New Zealand
Currently Offline

QUOTE(dlx742 @ Mar 9, 2006 - 8:12 PM) [snapback]404988[/snapback]

Make a spacer out of mdf to space it down to 6.5

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:04 AM