> The Daily project
post Jan 28, 2017 - 5:41 PM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

Well here's a couple pics, got the headlights, steering wheel, all the carbon parts installed, and her all cleaned up. Very happy with how it looks. The pictures don't do the wheels justice.

--------------------
Technician @ Airlift Performance
*1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST*1992 Eagle Talon TSI
*1991 Toyota Celica GT*1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
*1993 Toyota Celica GTS*1991 Nissan 300zx TT
*2006 Mitsubishi Evolution 9 563/403*1994 Toyota Celica GT ST205 rep.
*1995 Toyota Corolla (Beater
)
-2008 Honda Fit Sport (daily)
-1991 Nissan 300zx tt 632/520
post Jan 30, 2017 - 4:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The silver and carbon accents look really great together.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 3, 2017 - 8:20 AM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

Thanks Box.

So it was time to finally get this thing on air. Needless to say it was far from a bolt in ordeal, but gladly I'm finished with the front. A bit of issues that I ran into was clearance clearance and well clearance.. Tire to fender clearance, wheel to shock-body clearance, and air spring to strut tower clearance. What a pain.. So originally I planed on running a double bellow (D.B) air spring in the front of the car and a sleeve set up in the rear. This is ideal for a few different reasons (Not going to get into great detail at this moment). Well with the D.B front air spring installed it was a little to close for comfort to the inside of the strut tower. So I decided to crimp up a sleeve for the front the same ones I plain to use for the rear. The sleeve is more narrow but also sits lower on the damper body. Free'd up a lot of room in the strut tower, but then notice the wheel to bag clearance was too close.. As I said the the D.B is fat and short, the sleeve is skinny and long. So the D.B air spring actually sits above the tire in the wheel well, so there is not clearance issues there, only with the inner strut tower due to it being a larger diameter. So back to the D.B. I had the upper camber plates set to -2 degrees, so I pulled that back out to 0 and that free'd up more room in the strut tower for the D.B. The tightest measurement at this point between the bag and shock tower was 20mm, and seeing this bag will only grow a maximum 4mm over all (2mm each side) and factor a total possible 10mm (5mm each direction) of strut movement (yes this is more then it will actually move but I like to play it on the safe side) so that means I should at all times have a minimum of 13mm of clearance. Tight, yes but it will work! NOW another issue.... After a full cycle through from full extension to max compression I saw a whooping 74mm of stroke.. On a 114mm damper body... to say the least it's far from ideal. The only thing that was restricting the stroke was compression and it was only due to tire-fender clearance. Now that I have the camber set to 0 on the upper mounts I had no room for the tires to go inside of the wheel wells. So I need more camber adjustment at this point. So I removed the lower mount from the damper body and chucked it up in our bridge port to machine the upper mount hole an addition 6mm in, to have adjust ability at the damper body- to hub location. This does a couple things, gives me the camber I want/need without sacrificing bag to strut tower clearance, and have more camber adjustments. After installation I found all the way in gives the car more then enough camber to provide 111mm of suspension stroke, which is phenomenal on a 114mm damper body. With having the camber adjustment at the lower mount this moves the inside of my wheel closer to the damper body, because the wheel is not moving with damper body on the camber adjustment. Luckily there is still enough room for there to not be an issue, and full in is a total of -4 degrees of camber laugh.gif at ride height, at air out its just about -5.. This is way more then I intend to run. I would like around -2.5- -2.8 in the front, which will still allow me to have full suspension travel! Anyways the front is pretty much wrapped up. Here are a couple pictures. I will be tackling the rears today.

As I said before we don't just throw bags on cars to slam them, if that was the case this would have been much easier rolleyes.gif. A large reason you can't judge performance and handling of all air suspensions off from one air kit. There is a lot of things we do to set our suspension apart from the rest.

Oh also got my rear bumper euro rear lip and euro rear license plate garnish installed smile.gif

--------------------
)
post Feb 6, 2017 - 9:05 AM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

18 hours into this suspension setup and its officially finished. Feel like I'm talking to myself here so I'm not going to get into great detail on the rear. I ended up being able to run a D.B rear air spring which is great! Had to do some modifications to the inner strut tower to provide clearance for the air spring. She gets low smile.gif rides ridiculously nice as well. Keep in mind this set up still has 30 way adjustable damping front and rear, front adjustable camber plates, pillow ball upper mounts, and spherical bearing rear mounts. Nice and stiff pitching it into a corner but also soaks up the horrible Michigan roads much nicer then the coil-overs did. Front struts are 3.8 lbs lighter per side, and rear 4.9lbs per side. The control system, lines, harness, compressor, tanks ect. weighs 24.8lbs, so over all this system is 7.4lbs heaver then coil-overs. Complete ride height adjustable at a touch of a button. Something many people don't understand is that you can adjust individual bag pressure live. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Here are some picture of it air'd out smile.gif

Got this bad boy today also!

This post has been edited by Csober: Feb 6, 2017 - 1:59 PM

--------------------
)
post Feb 6, 2017 - 4:29 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

clean car just really not a fan of people who scrape their cars over everything on the road or make the car handle worse that it did coming out of the factory.

look on upgarage, yahoo japan auctions and farpost.ru if your still looking for the rear factory option roof spoiler.

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Feb 6, 2017 - 8:54 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 6, 2017 - 5:44 PM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 6, 2017 - 5:29 PM) *
clean car just really not a fan of people who scrape their cars over everything on the road or make the car handle worse that it did coming out of the factory.

look on upgarage, yahoo japan auctions and farpost.ru if your still looking for the rear factory option roof spoiler.

It doesn't scrape on anything? Also handles significantly better then the factory suspension. Not sure if you are trolling or don't know how our air suspension works..

--------------------
)
post Feb 6, 2017 - 6:16 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 6, 2017 - 4:29 PM) *

friggin purists lolol
Its adjustable....scraping need not apply

I liked it before the slamming haha
But its adjustable so its never permanent!
Yeah, the forum really slowed down the past few months. All you'll get replying is Bonzai and Box.

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Feb 6, 2017 - 7:24 PM
+Quote Post
Celica_MKVI

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '15
From SoCal
Currently Offline

Clean.
I like it. Looks mint to me!

--------------------
1994 Celica GT 5 Speed
1993.5 Supra MKIV 6 Speed
2008 Lexus ISF 8 Speed
post Feb 6, 2017 - 7:33 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

The scraping is mainly static guys who think they're cool. With bags, he can roll around at stock height or slightly lowered and air out when he parks it at shows or where ever to make it look even better.
It's like my buddy's r32, clean as f*ck with bags

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Feb 6, 2017 - 7:33 PM
post Feb 6, 2017 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

im talking about geometry aspect. yea im sure they are better than a stock strut no doubt. Im somewhat aware of how bags work. But not to say i wouldn't go to your face in car meet and be like "uhh bags thats so wrong"

but perhaps I stated that because I've never been in a Track oriented celica or one with bags to know the feeling. but ya what tiga said its more of the slammed look that i aint a fan of.

most people are on facebook...

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Feb 6, 2017 - 9:10 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 7, 2017 - 12:22 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Feb 6, 2017 - 5:16 PM) *
Yeah, the forum really slowed down the past few months. All you'll get replying is Bonzai and Box.

Don't forget Bitter. tongue.gif

I'm open to the idea of air suspension, I'd give it a try before writing it off, but shocks/struts and springs or coil-overs you can get an idea of what to expect beforehand and they're proven. Which as far as aesthetics go I like about an inch or two between the tire and fender/quarter, so usually springs are perfect for me and if paired with a good adjustable shocks/struts perform just as well as coil-overs then I'm totally happy with that. Of course I like thicker sidewall too. tongue.gif Which I like the minimal to no wheel gap and thinner sidewall(not rubber band thin) look as well.

This post has been edited by Box: Feb 7, 2017 - 12:22 AM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 7, 2017 - 8:17 AM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 6, 2017 - 9:57 PM) *
im talking about geometry aspect. yea im sure they are better than a stock strut no doubt. Im somewhat aware of how bags work. But not to say i wouldn't go to your face in car meet and be like "uhh bags thats so wrong"

but perhaps I stated that because I've never been in a Track oriented celica or one with bags to know the feeling. but ya what tiga said its more of the slammed look that i aint a fan of.

most people are on facebook...

There is not one, because this kit on my car is currently the only performance air suspension on a 6g Celica smile.gif . Time and time again air suspension proves its self, yet for some reason people just cant understand that it performs. I mean take Cody Miles for instant. Finishing 1st in countless time attack events this year alone. Not only beating his class but also setting track records on Air Lift performance suspension. Here is a great article that is for anyone that can simple not comprehend that air suspension can perform as good, if not better then coil overs should most defiantly read. The proof is in the pudding. After finishing this if you still are not open to the idea then its simple, your close minded and follow what everyone else does, because every one else does it. I'm not direction this to anyone in particular just to the vast majority that still do not think air can perform. I had a kit on my 600hp Evo and that blew peoples minds... Especially in the Evo/Dsm (Where change was simply not excepted) community seeing that the car was specifically track orientated.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/12/life-o...ip-winning-sti/

--------------------
)
post Feb 7, 2017 - 8:18 AM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Feb 6, 2017 - 8:33 PM) *

The scraping is mainly static guys who think they're cool. With bags, he can roll around at stock height or slightly lowered and air out when he parks it at shows or where ever to make it look even better.
It's like my buddy's r32, clean as f*ck with bags

That is a beautiful R32 biggrin.gif

--------------------
)
post Feb 7, 2017 - 12:39 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

I think people just don't like the "slammed" car because of the stance scene and the idiots that scrape their cars like its the coolest thing to do.
but with bags it's different. it's always nice to have the best of both worlds. you can have a track monster and then take it to a show and park it on the ground. lol

so whats the next step? 3sgte swap? smile.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Feb 7, 2017 - 12:58 PM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

Not sure how I've missed your build, nice Celica, man. smile.gif
Glad you are happy with my parts.

--------------------
FS thread : Custom Celica parts made to order + more

Click the image to visit my FB page

post Feb 7, 2017 - 2:50 PM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Feb 7, 2017 - 1:39 PM) *
I think people just don't like the "slammed" car because of the stance scene and the idiots that scrape their cars like its the coolest thing to do.
but with bags it's different. it's always nice to have the best of both worlds. you can have a track monster and then take it to a show and park it on the ground. lol

Well still waiting on the brakes to show up, along with the seats. But yes next will be engine / trans. Still up in the air with what exactly I plan on doing. Really thinking a transverse RWD 4G63. But we shall see!

--------------------
)
post Feb 7, 2017 - 2:51 PM
+Quote Post
Csober

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 16, '16
From Lansing, Mi
Currently Offline

QUOTE (The_enD @ Feb 7, 2017 - 1:58 PM) *
Not sure how I've missed your build, nice Celica, man. smile.gif
Glad you are happy with my parts.

Thanks! I appreciate all your help sourcing parts smile.gif

--------------------
)
post Feb 7, 2017 - 3:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Feb 7, 2017 - 11:39 AM) *

With anything there's a fine line between tasteful and gaudy, and those are somewhat subjective in of themselves. This applies to imports and domestics alike, some things being shared and some unique to each niche of cars. Air suspension genuinely intrigues me though, the idea of having a daily driver setting and then a track day setting and everything in between on the fly is alluring. Something that interests me in particular is with having a solid axle I wonder if there are ways of having a basic algorithm for the axle that'd give some quasi-independence by varying damping and spring rate actively side to side, of course what sounds good in theory may not really work out in practice but it'd be something worth trying I think.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 7, 2017 - 3:25 PM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

Whoa i dunno how i missed the updates either, but damn this looks sick!
Curious to see how it sits at the ride height you'll be driving around on, as well max height. In your feb 3 update, is that part of the bag sagging out from under the front fender?! (or maybe just fender liner)

Looks like you've dumped a wad of money into this in a short period of time!

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Feb 7, 2017 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Csober @ Feb 7, 2017 - 1:50 PM) *
QUOTE (cheela @ Feb 7, 2017 - 1:39 PM) *

Well still waiting on the brakes to show up, along with the seats. But yes next will be engine / trans. Still up in the air with what exactly I plan on doing. Really thinking a transverse RWD 4G63. But we shall see!

ah yes! forgot u haven't gotten your brakes yet.

still haven't found matching rear seats either or did ya?

ooh! 4g63, really stirring things up. like Tigawoods said purist are gonna hate u. hahaha

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:53 AM