post Apr 23, 2012 - 5:58 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Hello 6GC'ers,

So here it is, my project thread, or more like a details thread because I don't think it will be evolving very quickly tongue.gif

Getting my Celica:

I decided about 2 years ago that I wanted to get a Celica for my first car (I am 17 now). I was originally looking at '93 model 5th Gen Celica manual Liftback (All lift back 5th and 6th gen Celicas in Aus have the 5S-FE), but once I started saving up a but more I decided to go for a 6GC. I liked the exterior styling of a nice clean 5th gen (has to be the update model though), but I was drawn to the 6th gens for the increased safety features, tighter turning circle, and their much nicer interior. It was also much easier to find them in good condition with low mileage. And I am now completely hooked on 6GC's wink.gif

So I was on the hunt for a '96-99 model ZR Celica (This is the top-spec model in Australia, equiv. to the GT/GT-S) manual with less than 180,000kms. My preference was red, and i wanted a sunroof, but I wasn't ruling anything out.

After searching regularly for a number of months, I came to the conclusion that it was going to be very difficult to find what I wanted in my budget near me. The ONLY car that I found in my state that suited my requirements was from a dealer and felt very untidy when I test drove it, lots of rattles etc. it felt like it had been thrashed... A theory supported when I found a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell and receipts for heavy duty shocks and coils. Very disappointingly, this was not the car for me.

I kept searching and eventually found 'the one'. A Completely stock standard Silver 1997 model Toyota Celica ZR Manual, in excellent condition, with only 140,000kms (about 87,000 miles). Optional features included being the Factory Sunroof, Air con, Tinting and an Aftermarket Alarm upgrade (update: which I have now found out doesn't work tongue.gif).

It was initially too expensive for me. I kept looking at it every day, wishing that I could afford it... And 'if only' it was $1000 cheaper.... But then one day they dropped the price by $800, and I was on the phone immediately.

The problem was, it was in a dealership in Melbourne, AUS, just under 2000kms away from me. Because of the demand for cars out of Melbourne, it was too expensive to ship, so I had to organize to fly down and drive it back myself (an entire 2 weeks after I got my license).

After a very long process of organisation and the minor inconvenience of them selling the car to somebody else when I was organizing a mechanic inspection, it was mine XD

Here it is:

The Future:

I have always been very much a fan of the stock look on Celicas (with all of the factory goodies installed of course!), so I do not have any extravagant plans..... And since purchasing my car I am now a broke uni student tongue.gif

But I am planning a few small things:

Aftermarket head unit for iPod integration.
JDM Clear Side Indicators
Spree LED dash kit + possibly everything else as well tongue.gif

I also have a few different ideas about less common mods to do, but they will require a lot of thought and probably some forum threads wink.gif

But you never know, if I keep reading all of you guys project builds I might eventually get a proper mod bug tongue.gif

I will keep updating this thread when I do anything, but I don't imagine I will be moving terribly quickly.

This post has been edited by JoshuaM: Sep 6, 2015 - 11:20 AM

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Apr 23, 2012 - 6:51 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

The mod bug will bite. Beware.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Alpine Silver club. You'll like it here, it's shiny and sleek.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Apr 23, 2012 - 6:52 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Apr 23, 2012 - 7:22 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

Good! Stick with the OEM look! biggrin.gif

Nice to have you here. LMK if you need me to find you cornering lights. Apparently they're hard to find in AUS hah.

--------------------
1994 Toyota Celica GT-S 5S-FE 190k Miles. Project car
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5S-FE 170k Miles. Daily driver/beater
1999 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE 216K Miles. RIP You will be missed.

*ASE Certified General Manager
post Apr 23, 2012 - 8:06 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Welcome, nice car!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 23, 2012 - 8:32 PM
+Quote Post
CelicaZR

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '05
From Sydney, Australia
Currently Offline

Welcome mate biggrin.gif
shes a beauty biggrin.gif

--------------------

98 ST204 ZR - Black Beauty - Roaming the streets of Sydney
73 TA22 LT - Tiffany Blue - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
75 TA22 LT - Snow White - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
77 RA28 LT - Flubber Green - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
94 MX-5 NA8 Clubman - Red Racer - Looking for corners
WIP Project: 69 RT40 Corona, 2nd WIP Project: 66 RT40 1600s Corona
86 Corona RT142 - Daily Driver

6GC 4 Life Baby!!!
post Apr 27, 2012 - 6:46 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Thank you everybody for your kind words smile.gif

LMK if you need me to find you cornering lights. Apparently they're hard to find in AUS hah.

I am actually looking for some at the moment, I have a post (Here) in the Buying / Selling section now smile.gif I am thinking of buying the second eBay link there, but if you could find some genuine crystal ones I would be forever in your debt tongue.gif

Car Update:

I bought and installed my new Pioneer head unit last weekend. I liked the stock one, but I could not live with no form of Auxillary or iPod in tongue.gif

It is a Pioneer DEH-3450UB (but I think the US may use different naming?). It has all the standard features, with colour changing, so i can make it match whatever dash colour scheme I finally decide on smile.gif

I used the how-to guides posted on 6GC, which I am very thankful for, but I took extra photos because I am planning to make my own, with lots of photos. Since this is many peoples first modification, I thought that some more detailed photos in one place would help smile.gif I will link when I have the time to write it! tongue.gif

This Weekend:

As posted about in the forums 'here', I have had a little trouble with Sunroof drainage. This weekend I am planning to take the headliner out and clean the rear drain lines. I may try to do a write up on that too, because I haven't seen any firm details about sunroof drains on 6GC's specifically.

AND... I should be going on my first Celica Club Cruise! biggrin.gif

Cya,
Josh smile.gif

--------------------

post Apr 27, 2012 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Nice. A new receiver always feels good.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Apr 27, 2012 - 6:33 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Apr 27, 2012 - 8:55 AM) *
Nice. A new receiver always feels good.

Haha, yes it does. It has been keeping me entertained..... It does just make me want a Spree LED kit even more though.

I am thinking about going all white for the LED's in the car, and then I can just buy some coloured accent bulbs as I decide what I want later on.

Are the SPREE much brighter than the stock bulbs in the dash?

--------------------

post Apr 27, 2012 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

Yes they are. They're more defined too... the stock bulbs are softly lit, LED's are more sharp and easier to read when they illuminate letters and numbers.

--------------------

post Apr 28, 2012 - 1:48 AM
+Quote Post
JohanFer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
From Los Angeles, California
Currently Offline

Hey, what did you do with the old OEM stereo?

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

post Apr 28, 2012 - 10:30 AM
+Quote Post
Euphoria

Enthusiast
Joined May 6, '08
From Lisarow, NSW, Australia
Currently Offline

LOL this thread makes me laugh, I had a celica and my name is Josh M too lmao. That car you looked at did it have high km and was it aqua, the descriptions sounds alot like my old celica that I tracked HAHA. Otherwise I have a few other ideas whos it could be tongue.gif.

Nice car too! have fun with it, these things just don't die!
post Apr 28, 2012 - 5:36 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Hey, What did you do with the old OEM stereo?

Hey, It is currently just sitting in the box that my new stereo came in. I havent made up my mind yet if I am going to sell it on eBay, or keep it, so that I can revert my car exactly back to stock whenever I want smile.gif

If you were looking at buying one though, I would strongly recommend you look inside the states to find one, as the forum proves that 6GC's are certainly not rare over there, and this stereo weighs a tone!!! Seriously though, I would guess probably 3-4kg. So with shipping costs and the current exchange rates, I think it would be much cheaper for you to shop locally smile.gif

QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 28, 2012 - 10:30 AM) *
LOL this thread makes me laugh, I had a celica and my name is Josh M too lmao. That car you looked at did it have high km and was it aqua, the descriptions sounds alot like my old celica that I tracked HAHA. Otherwise I have a few other ideas whos it could be tongue.gif.

Nice car too! have fun with it, these things just don't die!

Haha, Hey Josh!!! tongue.gif

Nah, I did drive one aqua one, but it wasn't yours. The thrashed one I was referring to was a red ZR with 188,000 kms, in Lota (near Brisbane). I checked the logs though, and it had lived in Melbourne previously, but I think that was before the new shocks and springs.

And that's why I chose a 6GC!!! In my wait to get money and my license I had lots of time to research cars. In all that time though, I couldn't find anything that could match its ability to feel fun, be practical (big boot), safe (airbags +ABS) and very importantly reliable. My uncle sold his 5sfe celica a couple of years ago with 330,000kms and it hadn't given him any trouble!

On another note, first Celica Club Cruise today XD

--------------------

post Apr 28, 2012 - 10:01 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

the new headunit looks good!
i agree with the tough decision of getting rid of the stock. it looks natural and less gaudy. BUT. no Aux input kindasad.gif

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Apr 28, 2012 - 11:22 PM
+Quote Post
Euphoria

Enthusiast
Joined May 6, '08
From Lisarow, NSW, Australia
Currently Offline

Yeah they are good cars, my main problems in 3 years were wheel bearing related and a couple other little things, took it to near redline daily at 280k and had NO engine problems.
post Feb 20, 2013 - 7:55 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Wow... This is now almost like a year in review!

Well, after fixing the sunroof problems, I moved onto more pressing issues... Spree LED's!!! I couldn't decide on colours, so I bought a blue and a red set. After a month or two with the main cluster as red, I decided I'd go with the blue and did the full dash + ash tray light. I decided against the full package, because I liked the warm colours of the stock courtesy lamps.

Had to replace the battery at this point too, old one wasn't very connect with life tongue.gif it worked, but went flat listening to the radio in acc VERY quickly, and was showing many general signs of death.

During that time I also met an ex- 6th gen Celica owner through a university project, who gave me a new intake! Just an AirHog pod filter, but it gives that bit of sound under heave acceleration that will get me through until whenever I do an exhaust system.

Oh, and I can't forget the JDM Tails!!! (They look a bit tinted in this pic, but they're not... just the light).

For a long time I have been looking for a suitable subwoofer setup for the Celica that didn't impact on the practicality of the hatch back design (I often fold the rear seats down and throw my 26 inch mountain bike in the back, or load it right up with stuff when we go camping, so I couldn't use any normal box design.

For a long time I was set on an under seat powered subwoofer - the problem being that even most of the smallest ones don't fit! (I checked it out at my local store, and even Kicker Hideaway etc. wouldn't fit - you should've seen the look on the salesmans face tongue.gif) The Pioneer TS-WX110A looked to be the best option, however it is quite a stretch to call it a 'sub'woofer, and since my aim was for balanced sound, not doof doof at 40hz, I wasn't convinced... Especially considering its $350 cost.

A few weeks ago, prompted by renewed interest when doing some sub research for a friend, I found the Pioneer TS-SWX251... A 10 inch down firing super-compact slimline subwoofer. The appeal; it fits PERFECTLY behind the spare wheel hump, meaning that wasted space gets used up... And since it is down firing there is nothing to get damaged on top, so stuff can still be thrown in the boot... On top of that, it fits well enough to not be bolted in, and has spring loaded clips, so that it can be easily pulled out and dumped in the front seat when I want to use the full space!

The downside.... They don't sell it in Australia... Which meant paying about $80 just in shipping from the states! Still cheaper than buying anything here though -.-

I then found an amp second hand for $40 that matched up very well with the power rating of the sub... The benefits of this one being it is tiny!!! With a little bit of work, I managed to mount it under the dash!!! (Between ecu and hvac)

I haven't tuned it up properly yet, so it still sounds a tiny bit muddy... But it definitely has the capability. I'll try and take a pic soon smile.gif

Ummm... I think that's about it tongue.gif

So, plans:-
- Roof getting resprayed as soon as storm season is over (sun damage)
- looking for some 16" 5 spoke 7th gen rims, or some 17" ST246 Caldina rims (I.e. matrix m theory).
- clear side indicators still on the cards.
- And... I REALLY want some projector headlights, but can't justify spending anything over about $300 on them... Which is a problem tongue.gif

AND I still am planning to write my how to on taking the sunroof out and cleaning the drains, but still haven't got around to it (well, need to find the pics first tongue.gif)

Oh, and most currently (as in right this very second, as I am typing this) I am waiting for a tow truck to take my 1990 Celica AllTrack (GT4) home!!! Well, not really home, it has a dead clutch, so it is going to a mate who is in the 5th gen scene who is going to help do an engine swap, clean it up a bit then I'll drive it for a couple of months, before selling it smile.gif Update: still waiting - stupid towie is now over 2.5 hours late on a confirmed job that was quoted and lodged over 2 business days ago. -.-

I saw a 205 on the weekend for the first time (remember, only 77 in the whole of Australia).... Soooooo nice. If only not so expensive, and not banned on provisional license tongue.gif Update: whilst sitting here waiting for the tow truck, another one went past!!!!! I think I like this side of town! tongue.gif

Note: I am writing this on my wifi only ipad in the middle of nowhere, so 'now' is when I'm typing this, not whenever it gets online tongue.gif

--------------------

post Feb 20, 2013 - 8:00 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Oh, and I forgot to mention the personalised number plates (Black with white writing) smile.gif

And I am always on the lookout for cool JDM goodies, like SSIII front grill, power folding wing mirrors etc. too tongue.gif

--------------------

post Feb 20, 2013 - 7:09 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

$33 on eBay. smile.gif

$80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Authentic-ST20...6c4&vxp=mtr

$170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-Celica-...5dd&vxp=mtr

$50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TOYOTA-CELICA-...87d&vxp=mtr

lolol

This post has been edited by RabidTRD: Feb 20, 2013 - 7:19 PM

--------------------

post Feb 21, 2013 - 12:56 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I know I CAN get them... I just find it hard to justify $110 after shipping on a piece of plastic, or $200 + painting + effort to have mirrors that fold... tongue.gif I hadn't thought about changing the front indicators too (since they are already the clear facelift ones) but mine are a bit foggy. I'll probably go for some crystal side ones too... Eventually tongue.gif

--------------------

post Feb 23, 2013 - 2:52 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

HALP!

I am having trouble deciding what I should do with rims... I can quite easily get some 7th gen 16" 5 spokes for around $250-300 (very little tread, bit of gutter rash)... But I also found a set of 17" Caldina alloys, the same as njccmd2002 was selling from the Matrix M theory, but they would probably cost $600 with reasonable tread. However, they are 45.5 offset I think, and the rolling diameter is 3.31% larger... Is this going to be a problem? (I know it will make the speedo inaccurate) I would get the right size when I next bought tires... But I couldn't afford to spend $600 on wheels AND buy tires.

Ideas? Suggestions?

--------------------

post Feb 23, 2013 - 7:53 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

it sounds like youll be better off with the 7th gens. Since you will have to get tires for them, youll end up spending less than 600 total for the wheels and new tires.

(im biased, i dont like those caldina rims haha)

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 2:28 PM