6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '98 Celica GT: The Continuation...., Dun dun duuuunnnnnn.....
post Dec 25, 2017 - 5:20 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Sadly the Blitz appear to be done by BC now, I had found them and got excited but upon closer inspection of photos and specs they're just like the Megan and BC stuff. There's some new old stock Tein out there, just a quick eBay search: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1999-Toyota-C...jDh&vxp=mtr

I think I found them cheaper on places like Amazon.jp and Rakuten, but rather or not you could get them to ship to the U.S. I dunno.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 26, 2017 - 11:57 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

Glad to see you are taking good care of it.

Most of the rust that you are seeing on the rear sub frame should just be on the surface. I would just sand it down and treat it with POR15. Same deal with the springs. They are not that old so unless you want to upgrade the suspension for performance reasons, I wouldn't mess with it. The exhaust was made with aluminized steel at least 10 years ago, so I'm not surprised that you found some rust issues with it. I would honestly just drive it until it fully deteriorates.

I would recommend replacing the power steering pump too. Thats where 90% of the oil mess you are seeing is coming from. It was always on my to-do list.
Doing the front and rear control arm bushings would also be a good idea and a cheap DIY project.

As for the climate control, I had an issue with the temp adjustment getting stuck and not wanting to go full cold/hot. I disconnected the cable from the coolant line in the engine bay and just manually set it by hand to the temp I wanted. I think the issue might be with the climate control unit. Should be a pretty easy and cheap fix to replace it with a used unit.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Dec 26, 2017 - 12:36 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

If the climate control unit is the issue, I believe I have a spare. Needs LED’s or new bulbsbut otherwise functional. I have your other stuff ready to ship so I can add that to it if you’d like.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 26, 2017 - 8:27 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 25, 2017 - 4:20 PM) *
Sadly the Blitz appear to be done by BC now, I had found them and got excited but upon closer inspection of photos and specs they're just like the Megan and BC stuff. There's some new old stock Tein out there, just a quick eBay search: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1999-Toyota-C...jDh&vxp=mtr

I think I found them cheaper on places like Amazon.jp and Rakuten, but rather or not you could get them to ship to the U.S. I dunno.

I found the Blitz on RHDJapan's site. But if they are BCs, then I may end up just going with BCs or the Fortune Auto route.

QUOTE (lagos @ Dec 26, 2017 - 10:57 AM) *
Glad to see you are taking good care of it.

Most of the rust that you are seeing on the rear sub frame should just be on the surface. I would just sand it down and treat it with POR15. Same deal with the springs. They are not that old so unless you want to upgrade the suspension for performance reasons, I wouldn't mess with it. The exhaust was made with aluminized steel at least 10 years ago, so I'm not surprised that you found some rust issues with it. I would honestly just drive it until it fully deteriorates.

I would recommend replacing the power steering pump too. Thats where 90% of the oil mess you are seeing is coming from. It was always on my to-do list.
Doing the front and rear control arm bushings would also be a good idea and a cheap DIY project.

As for the climate control, I had an issue with the temp adjustment getting stuck and not wanting to go full cold/hot. I disconnected the cable from the coolant line in the engine bay and just manually set it by hand to the temp I wanted. I think the issue might be with the climate control unit. Should be a pretty easy and cheap fix to replace it with a used unit.

I'm doing what I can. It's probably gonna make me broke for a little while, but should make the car pretty solid when all is said and done.

That's what I figured with the rust. I'll find some time after the new year to tackle it. I'll need to order some POR15 first along with an air grinder with a sanding disc to make life easier. I just don't want it to progress. A suspension overhaul is in the plans though for both cars. It's just going to take a while. The idea of coilovers is up in the air until it gets time to address it. The coilovers in the Supra did spoil me though...

And that's the plan with the exhaust. I was debating about running open downpipe for a while for ****s and giggles.

That's what I forgot to order....... I'll replace the seals in the pump to see if that'll help it. When I checked fluid levels to top it off, it didn't require a whole lot. A couple of ounces at most. :\ I'll figure it out once it's all taken apart though.

That's what I ended up doing as well with the heater. Kind of an inconvenience, but it is what it is. Edgar said the AC was charged and full but when I switch to AC and close the heater valve, it doesn't blow cold.... Weird, but I'll look into that later as well.

QUOTE (richee3 @ Dec 26, 2017 - 11:36 AM) *
If the climate control unit is the issue, I believe I have a spare. Needs LED’s or new bulbsbut otherwise functional. I have your other stuff ready to ship so I can add that to it if you’d like.

Send dat bish. I may have a friend help me tackle the LED mods for the lights as I'm not 100% confident in my soldering skills. May see if new buttons and knobs are available from Toyota as well like they are for the Poopra.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Dec 26, 2017 - 10:07 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

That's what I ended up doing as well with the heater. Kind of an inconvenience, but it is what it is. Edgar said the AC was charged and full but when I switch to AC and close the heater valve, it doesn't blow cold.... Weird, but I'll look into that later as well.

Try moving the coolant valve adjuster thats in the engine bay by hand. Its probably on full hot, so you are getting ac and full heat.
AC always worked fine when I had the car.

--------------------
post Dec 27, 2017 - 11:22 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

rust you say.. dont grind the rust, chemically treat it. get rid of the rust and not the metal....

blasting would be the most ideal... but sometimes cant get it.. chemically treat it and then do por15 to seal it...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Dec 27, 2017 - 3:21 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Dec 27, 2017 - 11:22 AM) *
rust you say.. dont grind the rust, chemically treat it. get rid of the rust and not the metal....

blasting would be the most ideal... but sometimes cant get it.. chemically treat it and then do por15 to seal it...

Its true. With POR15 you just want to wash off any dirt and then you paint directly over the rust.

--------------------
post Dec 27, 2017 - 7:16 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

I thought por15 really only sticks to bare metal.

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Dec 27, 2017 - 8:43 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Nah, it doesn’t like bare metal. It sticks best to rust.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 27, 2017 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Dec 26, 2017 - 9:07 PM) *

Try moving the coolant valve adjuster thats in the engine bay by hand. Its probably on full hot, so you are getting ac and full heat.
AC always worked fine when I had the car.

Well, I reattached the arm to the adjuster just to see what it does. Went back in the cabin and cranked it from hot to cold. It closed the valve, but still blew warm air. Turned the knob to hot, it stayed close and blew meh air. -_- maybe a newer-ish control unit can be the fix. I'll take a look at it when the car comes back after being resealed. Weather is getting colder and wetter for the next few days, so it's not going to be a problem at the moment.

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Dec 27, 2017 - 10:22 AM) *

Copy that. I saw on their website that they have a 3-step process/chemicals: Clean, prep, and coat.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jan 8, 2018 - 12:12 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Got the car a Christmas present and updated the meh S1 series tail lights to the more organized S2 tails. Now trying to figure out what to do with the old tail lights.

Other than that, still waiting on the Supra to be done as this is currently how she sits at my mechanic's shop:

He's fiddling with it in his spare time to get the clutch replaced, but I'm not worried as it's free storage for me since my mom's new Accord is taking up my storage unit at the moment. After the Celica goes in and gets all the leaks and mechanical stuff taken care of, I've been strongly contemplating putting both cars on the backburner to focus on other endeavours until finances improve. Feels like it'll be a slight bummer, but as long as both cars are mechanically sound, I'll be happy.

"He who chases two rabbits catches neither one."

Did find out last night that I more than likely will be replacing the struts/springs some time soon. Had a passenger in the back seat and at a few bumps and dips, the car would bottom out. Probably won't have back seat passengers all that much, but still something I don't want to deal with in the event that I do get one or two.

Other than that, been getting the opportunity to work on some gorgeous VW Beetles since the holidays have come and gone.

Sapphire Blue Pearl is a 2015 3.8L twin turbo with the PDK transmission and an aftermarket exhaust. Loud as phuc in that shop on cold start, but sounds sexy as hell.

This one came in for our full front Xpel clear bra wrap and CeramicPro Silver package ceramic coating.

While this one received a full car Xpel clear bra wrap and CeramicPro Silver package about a month ago and came for some Xpel touch-up and a quick wash (literally spritz the car with quick detailer and wiped it down in 5 minutes with a microfiber towel. Clear bra + CeramicPro = Nguyening!).

2018 Chalk coloured 4.0L NA 6-spd (returning year of the manual transmission) and the owner drives the ever-loving piss out of it.

Before the chalk one came in, my friend sent his girlfriend off to get her nails did by Tammy at Beautiful Nail to help her look like a super model or cheer leader with some crystal gel and she unknowingly had them painted to match the client's car.

Got a Land Rover Range Rover SVR in the shop at the moment and will be working on that tomorrow with some Xpel and CeramicPro as well. Can't wait.

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Jan 8, 2018 - 12:15 AM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jan 8, 2018 - 12:47 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

like your fingernails.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 8, 2018 - 1:24 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

My hands are girlier than an actual girl's, I quit.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 8, 2018 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jan 8, 2018 - 12:24 AM) *
My hands are girlier than an actual girl's, I quit.

If it helps you feel any better, she's a radiologist.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jan 8, 2018 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Not sure that helps any, that's ok I really don't mind my lady hands. Hell my hair is longer than 99% of women I see, so it really doesn't bother me. I keep threatening to become a hand and hair model, maybe I should. laugh.gif THEN I TOO COULD AFFORD A SUPRA!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 10, 2018 - 12:23 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Anywho. Picked up the Supra yesterday to break in the clutch and dropped the Celica off to get all the leaks fixed and have my mechanic go over the car. He's gonna hate it like he does the Supra, but he'll live. lol Should probably have it back in a couple of weeks since I told him to take his time.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jan 10, 2018 - 2:10 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

How can he hate the Supra, it's not like it's a Z32 Twin Turbo or 3000GT VR-4.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 10, 2018 - 11:48 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jan 10, 2018 - 3:10 AM) *
How can he hate the Supra, it's not like it's a Z32 Twin Turbo or 3000GT VR-4.

I had a high school buddy with a VR-4... Let's just say that it made me **** myself, but it was about as reliable as a 1990's Kia.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Jan 10, 2018 - 12:40 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

I remember watching my dad help change the spark plugs on my uncle's VR-4 back in the days. not good times. not good times at all...

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jan 10, 2018 - 4:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Like seriously... Which it's not identical, but my MKIII Supras had plenty of room for everything and from pictures it seems the MKIV isn't really any worse. I'd much rather work on a MKIV Supra over the Z32 or 3000GT, which you're less likely to have to work on it in any state rather stock or modified. Especially the VR-4...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:43 PM