> Marco2002 1999 Celica GT project, Beams or 3SGTE
post Jul 3, 2019 - 11:55 AM
+Quote Post
marco2002

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 1, '19
From Virginia
Currently Offline

Hello all ....new to this forum. I have two Celica's. Just finished my daughters 2004 Celica GT and she loves it. Complete restoration (Stock). I her father just picked up this 1999 Celica Gt from a person I did IT work for and he ended up just giving it to me! Yes the engine is blown. But the Body paint and interior are excellent. Since the engine and trans were removed when I got the celica (Still have both) I am contermplating on dropping in either a Beams red top or 3sgte engine. The donor car is an automatic but since everything is out of the car...it would be a great time to swap over to a 5 speed setup. Asking on advice on what direction I should go. Have a budget of 5-6k. thanks!
post Jul 4, 2019 - 2:56 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Beams is good if you're okay w/ the NA 200 hp. Else if you want more then the 3sgte is the way to go.
In regards to motor generation, if you plan to keep it below 400 hp the 4th gen will do you fine. Anything more than the 3rd gen is the way to go.
Here's a quick comparison of them: http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=97084

Good luck w/ the swap man! If you're feeling some challenge you could also try the V6 (1mz/3mz/2gr).
Not as much aftermarket parts so to say but the (stock) parts are more widely available here in the US (junkyards).
post Jul 6, 2019 - 10:45 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=92362

I did a V6 swap in this car a few years ago. also converted to a manual. its all detailed in this thread.

The BEAMS is a fine engine, but for the same price you can get a 4th gen 3S-GTE.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 25, 2019 - 1:46 PM
+Quote Post
marco2002

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 1, '19
From Virginia
Currently Offline

Thanks for the advice guys! I appreciate it .....still not sure which way to go but may end up with the red top beams as I do not plan to really bump the HP as I just want something dependable and extra HP and torque than the standard 5SFE engine. Keep you posted. thanks again!!
post Jul 26, 2019 - 1:58 PM
+Quote Post
marco2002

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 1, '19
From Virginia
Currently Offline

Here is the engine I plan to purchase Red Beam
post Jul 28, 2019 - 6:58 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

auto transmission, no bpipe, no airbox tisk tisk tisk.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Jul 29, 2019 - 7:02 AM
+Quote Post
marco2002

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 1, '19
From Virginia
Currently Offline

I have the existing airbox..... I know I would prefe 5-speed transmission but this is what it is. I have a friend who has a 5-speed trans off of a 5SFE engine will this trans work with the Beams engine?
post Jul 30, 2019 - 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (marco2002 @ Jul 29, 2019 - 7:02 AM) *
I have the existing airbox..... I know I would prefe 5-speed transmission but this is what it is. I have a friend who has a 5-speed trans off of a 5SFE engine will this trans work with the Beams engine?

ya but its an open differential frown.gif

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Aug 1, 2019 - 11:48 AM
+Quote Post
marco2002

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 1, '19
From Virginia
Currently Offline

Does any US dealers sell the water pump for the Red top beams?
post Aug 4, 2019 - 12:03 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (marco2002 @ Jul 26, 2019 - 12:58 PM) *
Here is the engine I plan to purchase Red Beam

A/T to M/T conversion is not an issue, but it will requite a couple more steps in the wiring harness. You'll need the plug for your reverse lights from a M/T harness to move over to the A/T harness, and there are a couple of wires to bridge from one of the A/T trans plugs. That information is over in the A/T to M/T swap thread. The cut wire by the ECU is slightly concerning- makes me wonder why it was cut and what else may be cut but you can't see in pictures. I've dealt with cut wires in the harness and while it's doable, I'll take an unmolested harness every day.

QUOTE (marco2002 @ Aug 1, 2019 - 10:48 AM) *
Does any US dealers sell the water pump for the Red top beams?

If I recall correctly, Prime MR2 has them in stock but no dealerships carry the water pump.

My opinion on the Redtop swap is this- look into the 4th gen 3S-GTE swap. Those engines are cheaper and more powerful than the BEAMS, which is only a small increase in power over the 5S for 99% of driving. Unless you plan on frequently hitting redline, the BEAMS is only slightly quicker than a 5S and most people don't get over 4,500 rpm frequently enough to use the BEAMS powerband. The 4th gen 3S swap can be done for a similar cost with the same reliability as the BEAMS but a nice bump in power, and the only extra bits of the swap that are different from any other swap is a wiring harness from Wiregap and a front mount intercooler. The BEAMS make a fun track engine or spirited weekend car, but for a DD a 5S really is the better choice.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 6, 2019 - 6:50 AM
+Quote Post
marco2002

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 1, '19
From Virginia
Currently Offline

Thanks for the insight Richee3. I appreciate it. I will probably move towards the Red Top as I want that additional power above 4500rpm. Your white 98 Beams is just a fantastic looking car! Plus the engine and trans come with wiring harness and ecu. Which you make for an easier swap.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:47 PM