Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rusty's SS-II progress thread, Many TRD goodies
post Aug 29, 2014 - 12:50 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

Looks great! Can't wait to hear how you like the limited slip after you get it installed. smile.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 23, 2014 - 5:56 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Great success yesterday, I had some time to remove the old line & get the new Jspeed one in. I have to undo it again as I haven't put the plate on that sits on the gearbox, as I don't know which way it goes lol. No big deal though. Waiting on friend to put lsd in still. So hopefully soon.

--------------------
post Sep 28, 2014 - 2:47 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

JSpeed clutch lines... You never cease to amaze! tongue.gif

Can't wait for updates after the LSD.... get your friends on it! smile.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Sep 29, 2014 - 1:22 AM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

glad u finally got it together smile.gif
post Oct 4, 2014 - 7:19 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Cheers guys

Right more updates.

Had the thought that I might aswell do some more work done while I wait for the gearbox.
So...

Had my friend come round who helped me last time remove everything. This time we did the rear main crank seal (part number superseded now).

Then just as we were about to fit the flywheel, I couldn't find the new flywheel bolts kindasad.gif But after a quick hunt around found them, put red loctite on them and crank to spec (107Nm)

Next up was replacing the passengers CV boots (or the shorter axle) as the outer boot was starting to fray (not leaking or exploded yet) made sense to replace as axles were off. - Driver's CV boots had been replaced last year. Our 3S-GE axles are the thicker type & feature 6 ball bearings, from memory, 5S-FE's have less bearings & a slightly different design?

Now today I've just installed the new TRD clutch sports disc & cover.

Old vs new

New disc

All on & torqued (19Nm)

--------------------
post Oct 5, 2014 - 7:29 AM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

Why not a lightened flywheel as well ?

--------------------
post Oct 5, 2014 - 8:13 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

all this happened in may? why did i miss it.....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 5, 2014 - 2:00 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Oct 5, 2014 - 8:29 AM) *
Why not a lightened flywheel as well ?

He did, he got a Jun one. It's on the previous page.
post Oct 5, 2014 - 3:27 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Yeah what he said. Will call in today to find out whats happening with gearbox, so hopefully fingers crossed* should be putting it all back together this or next weekend at the latest.

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2014 - 11:03 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Picked up just before.

Thin bar = Open diff
Thick bar = Helical LSD

No bar = ...

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2014 - 11:08 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

Love it.

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2014 - 11:56 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

no bar = TRD clutch type?

Trans looks good thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post Oct 10, 2014 - 12:25 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Yes that's correct.

To get an idea on how it works, A NZ'er with a Cusco clutch plate RWD setup made this gif, its not exactly the same as the TRD one but it gives you an idea.

Today was the day of reinstalling the transmission. Put new hitemp grease on the clutch fork & realase bearing shaft. It took us a couple of goes to get it on, damn subframe lol. Also on the new SS clutch line we found it wouldn't let us move it into line holder, so we filed just a tidy bit off the line on one section, the other section wasn't affected so could still use spanner on it to help tighten it up.

All that's left is everything else, axles, engine mounts, connecting the shifter cables & the clutch assembly - and bleed that too, etc. Can't see it getting done this weekend as there is lots of racing on tv ‎Bathurst & F1 laugh.gif

--------------------
post Oct 10, 2014 - 4:36 AM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

rusty i am so jealous of u frown.gif
post Oct 10, 2014 - 8:49 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Good stuff. Trans installs are always a big job, so no point rushing. It's better to make sure everything goes perfect instead of having to redo stuff later

--------------------
post Oct 16, 2014 - 8:05 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Just going to leave this link here wink.gif

It feels awesome smile.gif

--------------------
post Oct 16, 2014 - 8:38 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Teaser tongue.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Oct 16, 2014 - 8:56 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Haha yes tongue.gif

Went for a quick drive just before that video. The upshifts & downshifts are sooo smooth & direct. The bite on the clutch is amazing, its quite different to the stock setup. The new F&R engine mounts (& old trans mount) that were polyurethane filled, do an awesome job with a solid feel & no vibrations.

--------------------
post Oct 20, 2014 - 7:34 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Just a recap of whats been done.
Going back to my previous list

The only stuff left to do is the engine related items - removing the first part of the intake to paint the valve cover. I've noticed the PCV valve needs replacing aswell as the hose, so will get those on order. Will also replace the thermostat & do engine oil & filter.

The brake rotors & pads are done.

The radiator is fixed - no more discoloured top tank.

The drivetrain (flywheel, clutch, line clutch, LSD & the special oil for the lsd & CV boots replace) is all done with the transmission getting a clean -sodablast.

While the gearbox was out I also bought a HID set for the low beam projector lights (6000K, wouldn't recommend anything over) and those are safely installed

Yesterday did the last things the underguards back on, and just a general walk around & check everything is ok - no leaks etc.

Some points I've made after all this work.

Without knowing we actually placed the big earth for the starter motor on one of the starter motor bolts leaving me with a spare bolt, not sure if its because the battery was recharged or the fact the earth is a lot closer, (or even the lighten flywheel) it seems to start a whole lot quicker - so I'm not complaining. biggrin.gif

Bagging & tagging bolts when they come off makes for a faster reinstall, also pictures help if you can't remember which way things go, or exactly where/how

As said previously, the filled mounts have done wonders, very solid yet no vibrations that others sometimes find with the inserts.

Smooth clutch operation - lots of high temp grease on all the important bits - no more random squeaks. It's still the early days running in the new clutch, but with the TRD you know precisely where it grabs.

Gear shifting, as with the clutch parts I applied some new grease to the shifter arm to ensure smooth shifting. Also I'm not 100% sure if it was when Toyota was installing the LSD or us resinatlling everything or the TRD gearbox oil. But the whole feels 10 times better. It feels brand new, there is no more 'sloppy' feeling with the TRD quick shifter, goes into each gear so smooth, and it even feels shorter throw also.

The flywheel, wow. If I'd have a guess, the stock flywheel would be around the 5,500rpm range where the lighten flywheel would be at the limiter of 7,200 (though haven't tried with the Tom's ecu to see if its set higher) It feels a good combination with the clutch, nice & light but not too light that it gives you driveability issues. Has a different engine tone now aswell when reving.

The LSD, its still early days so haven't really pushed it yet, but with what the others say about the helical, I'm sure the TRD LSD will do an amazing job.

I think thats all I wanted to say.
Currently detailing the car for the weekend, so will hopefully get some great shoots & possibly a video.

--------------------
post Oct 21, 2014 - 4:42 AM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

gratz! smile.gif sounds great!!!!

30 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:31 PM