> In regards to my AWD conversion question, This is what inpsired it here
post Feb 15, 2008 - 2:39 AM
+Quote Post
Random_Stranger

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 20, '07
From Bakersfield, CA
Currently Offline

Maybe this video was already posted, maybe not. I have noticed that some videos that have been posted are things I have seen a long time ago, and some are very new to me although they are old for some of you. So for this, I wanted to share this video. It has got me GT4 Crazy! How much do I love my celica? I would marry this things if I could. I would DP this car with Ron Jeremy giving him the high five in the tail pipe on video, making myself out to be a fool in front of the world. I have a new love this Valentine's Day. Her name is Celica. (um, just kidding about that other stuff, but really I am loving my car more and more. Enough to sell one of my kidneys on the black market for a shot at AWD conversion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8-fBC6XHk

--------------------
91 MR2 Turbo SW20, 92 MR2 Turbo SW20, 95 Celica GT ST204
post Feb 15, 2008 - 8:37 PM
+Quote Post
dabazied

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 10, '07
From Riverside, CA
Currently Offline

Personally, with all the fabrication and headache the awd drive would take, I'd rather just import the real thing and keep my american regular for side projects/learning/tinkering....... after all the parts, hours(or should I say months lol) of labor(whether you do it yourself or with someone else), frustration and tweaking, you'd end up spending more money on this project than you would getting a gt4 imported I would think(unless you got some good connections).... but hey if it's worth it to you then more power to ya and right on, just do lots n lots of research on the tasks at hand with that project..... just my input on the situation

--------------------

She's Alive...... Again!!!
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 17, 2009 - 5:53 AM) *
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 16, 2009 - 8:53 PM) *
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 16, 2009 - 11:51 PM) *
Sweet Jesus.

You rang?

Sorry, wrong number. :laugh:
post Feb 15, 2008 - 11:05 PM
+Quote Post
Random_Stranger

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 20, '07
From Bakersfield, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(dabazied @ Feb 16, 2008 - 1:37 AM) [snapback]641967[/snapback]

Personally, with all the fabrication and headache the awd drive would take, I'd rather just import the real thing and keep my american regular for side projects/learning/tinkering....... after all the parts, hours(or should I say months lol) of labor(whether you do it yourself or with someone else), frustration and tweaking, you'd end up spending more money on this project than you would getting a gt4 imported I would think(unless you got some good connections).... but hey if it's worth it to you then more power to ya and right on, just do lots n lots of research on the tasks at hand with that project..... just my input on the situation

Okay, if I did get it imported though, how could I get it registered? Wouldn't it be not legal to drive in the US? Granted, even if I (as a Californian) do the conversion, I technically still wouldn't be able to drive it on the streets, yet at least it would be registered.

--------------------
post Feb 15, 2008 - 11:13 PM
+Quote Post
Soulend

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 24, '07
From Tucson, Az
Currently Offline

QUOTE(dabazied @ Feb 15, 2008 - 6:37 PM) [snapback]641967[/snapback]

Yeah, I wanted to make my Celica AWD, and after coming on here and asking about it, it would be much easier, and cheaper Just to Import the AWD from Japan, Australia, or Europe. you can Find GT4's in England for about 5K that sound to be in great shape. it'd probably cost that much to ship so 10K for a GT4 is still a Steal. I think During my Trip to Japan I'm going to try and find one to Import. my Teaching Job is going to pay for it. really, its the second reason I'm Trying for the job lol. oh, and if you don't have the money, but want the Power? Buy a 3rd gen 3SGTE. front wheel Drive Power house.

anyway, which ever road you take Good Luck.

Soul

This post has been edited by Soulend: Feb 15, 2008 - 11:15 PM
post Feb 15, 2008 - 11:39 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

These threads are silly. There is/was a real imported gt4 for sale on this forum. It sat around and no one jumped on it (not sure if it ended up selling or not). Yet every single day, we have 10 threads about people who want to do crazy conversions and how they would kill to have an awd celica.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Feb 16, 2008 - 12:27 AM
+Quote Post
dabazied

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 10, '07
From Riverside, CA
Currently Offline

Yep lagos, but its all pipe dreams if you don't have the money up front.... I guess that's why the conversion seems more tempting cuz you can do it in pieces....... Random Stranger, you'd have to check out what the import laws and regs are for Cali, but since they are so strict it may be difficult. Are you in school? If so get it imported and registered in a state with no real strict emissions laws and get it all registered n then drive it to Cali n have fun with the outta state plates but it'd be gravy if you are a student. Best bet is to check out the customs/importing/state laws on all this if you really are interested and then think about what is possible and what's your best route or if it'd be too much of a hassle for ya....... or you can wait for one to pop up for sale that's already been brought here n pray that it's been Cali-ized

--------------------

She's Alive...... Again!!!
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 17, 2009 - 5:53 AM) *
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 16, 2009 - 8:53 PM) *
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 16, 2009 - 11:51 PM) *
Sweet Jesus.

You rang?

Sorry, wrong number. :laugh:
post Feb 16, 2008 - 12:54 AM
+Quote Post
Random_Stranger

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 20, '07
From Bakersfield, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(dabazied @ Feb 16, 2008 - 5:27 AM) [snapback]642060[/snapback]

Yep lagos, but its all pipe dreams if you don't have the money up front.... I guess that's why the conversion seems more tempting cuz you can do it in pieces....... Random Stranger, you'd have to check out what the import laws and regs are for Cali, but since they are so strict it may be difficult. Are you in school? If so get it imported and registered in a state with no real strict emissions laws and get it all registered n then drive it to Cali n have fun with the outta state plates but it'd be gravy if you are a student. Best bet is to check out the customs/importing/state laws on all this if you really are interested and then think about what is possible and what's your best route or if it'd be too much of a hassle for ya....... or you can wait for one to pop up for sale that's already been brought here n pray that it's been Cali-ized

Sounds good. I love how everyone pays attention to how I keep in mind that I have neither the funds, nor the capability at this point to do it. Yet no one can really fully answer my questions either. Maybe they get tired of the same old "Noob (was it?)" questions. And to be honest, I am not even sure if it is practical. It would be nice, yes. But at the same time, I also have a craving for a Triple Rotary RX7. This celica is just the first car I am ever and even bothering putting some work and money into after all the cars I have owned at one time. I finally get to do something. I never had anyone around to show me how to work on cars. I have no friends who have done their own work on their cars or who are even into cars. They blow their money on fast food and other crap. So to everyone else.... GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK! damn.....

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:05 PM