6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 382 383 384 385 386 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Oct 2, 2020 - 11:03 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 2, 2020 - 8:13 PM) *
Bull****. Traction son. Double the suggested limit in posted turns son. I el-oh-el hard when some ****nut rides up behind my car because I’m “slow” but then I chuck it into the next bend and lose them. It is heeee-larious.

I know right? I had a few moments like that on the dragon where a slower small cc sport bike would let me pass them and then try to keep up through the corners. Probably inexperienced rider but still. It was a bit of a lol moment.

--------------------
post Oct 3, 2020 - 8:07 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Visibility mod! Now there's no excuse not to see me:

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 3, 2020 - 9:20 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

But it'll be covered by feet of flowing luxurious purple hair so they probably won't see it.

--------------------
post Oct 3, 2020 - 10:04 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 3, 2020 - 9:20 PM) *
But it'll be covered by feet of flowing luxurious purple hair so they probably won't see it.

Haha, it's not dyed at the moment and when the top goes down my hair goes up in pigtails.

This post has been edited by Box: Oct 4, 2020 - 4:57 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 4, 2020 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Scraped, rubbed, scrubbed, and solvent soaked the old foam tape and tape adhesive that has been holding the rear plate on my Celica since 2009, painted two little pinhole paint puckers under the plate, and once the paint is dried I can stick the new plate on with some gorilla clear tape that I know I can more easily remove later with a heat gun should plates change again in 10 years. I did drive with mismatched plate styles but no one noticed thankfully, not that I think that's illegal since the old plate wasn't technically expired but better to get the right stuff on there just in case I get some stickler.

--------------------
post Oct 4, 2020 - 11:24 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Ran into a black NA with Altezza tail lights on the way home from Wal-Mart(sadly they only had motor and differential oil) and it seemed like it was straight piped. We came to a stop light and he noticed me and put his hand up so I waved then he made a follow/come gesture. Next thing I know he's revving it up then dumps the clutch as the light turns and leaves squiggly 11's(welded differential I guess) as he speeds off, I proceeded like an old lady and fell behind in no time. I'm not sure what that was all about, crazy kids.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 5, 2020 - 10:43 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That's ok still trying to decide on gear oil. Just turned 65K miles on Friday, has had XT-M5-QS with the previous owners and that's what's in there now. I'm not impressed; the "cold"(70-80°+ F outside) performance is notchy through all of the gears and it takes more effort than I'd like, particularly with shifting into 1st or 2nd. Once fully warmed up the transmission shifts ok into all of the gears and isn't as notchy, but it still isn't anything to write home about. I know Miata transmissions are notchy by nature and are known to be difficult with downshifting into 1st or 2nd when "cold", but surely this can't be as good as it gets?

I've done research and have seen various suggestions and alternatives including GM FM Synchromesh, Valvoline Synchromesh, Redline MTL, AmsOil Synchromesh, etc... since they're thinner and GL-4. From further research I've found the following:

Valvoline Synchromesh 49.9/8.8 cSt at 40/100° C
GM FM Synchromesh 41.6/9.08 cSt at 40/100° C
Redline MTL 50.8/10.4 cSt at 40/100° C
AmsOil Synchromesh 49.4/10.1 cSt at 40/100° C
Motorcraft XT-M5-QS 76/15.4 cSt at 40/100° C

So all are notably thinner, especially the GM FM Synchromesh when cooler. My biggest concern with the Valvoline and GM Synchromesh is shearing, as they're conventional and already so thin in comparison, so I'm thinking perhaps Redline or AmsOil might be the way to go.

This post has been edited by Box: Oct 5, 2020 - 1:03 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 5, 2020 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Different trans and different problem but I liked Redline LWSP mixed with the called for Mercon ATF in my aunties Capri gear box, and so did she. She had problems getting into gear when HOT due to fluid thinning and adding LWSP made the fluid stickier when hot but didn't make it too thick when cold. It's thin but it's sticky, really weird feeling fluid. The Ford stuff is 75W-90, you might actually find LWSP or SLWSP fluids from Redline to do the trick for you. They claim LWSP is same film strength as 75W-140 but flows like 80W when cold, SLWSP is claimed to be strong like 75W-90 but thin like ATF when flowing and moving.
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=581511
so they suggest a blend of two Redline oils, not the first time I've heard of mixing oils to get the desired properties. May be worth a shot!

Oh yea, this happened today. Heard loud semi truck noises, boom, silence, a bunch of honking.
https://youtu.be/rfu7TDhu6tc Tipsy truck tipped over, probably going too fast for the corner.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Oct 5, 2020 - 6:59 PM

--------------------
post Oct 5, 2020 - 9:22 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hmm, I had thought about mixing MT-LV with MTL or MT-85:
MT-LV is 29.8/6.5 cSt at 40/100° C
MT-85 is 62/12 cSt at 40/100° C

In theory:
MT-LV/MTL would be 40.3/8.45 cSt at 40/100° C
MT-LV/MT-85 would be 45.9/9.25 cSt at 40/100° C

I just know it seems the XT-M5-QS is too thick until warmed up, and even then it's a bit thick.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 5, 2020 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I mean personally I'd be looking at mixing with a LWSP or SLWSP for that added film strength to cushion the gears from clashing on hard shifts. I can't figure out what trans is in her 91 Capri Turbo and how dissimilar it is to the the trans in your Miata but that extra fluid strength and stickiness of the oil made the synchro's work a lot lot better. I've driven it a few times before and after the oil change to the blend and it's night and day difference in how the gears just sink into place vs having the push them in and feel like the trans is fighting a bit.

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2020 - 7:46 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 4, 2020 - 11:24 PM) *
Ran into a black NA with Altezza tail lights on the way home from Wal-Mart(sadly they only had motor and differential oil) and it seemed like it was straight piped. We came to a stop light and he noticed me and put his hand up so I waved then he made a follow/come gesture. Next thing I know he's revving it up then dumps the clutch as the light turns and leaves squiggly 11's(welded differential I guess) as he speeds off, I proceeded like an old lady and fell behind in no time. I'm not sure what that was all about, crazy kids.

I was with her, they fit the typical bro description*, backwards hats like the Icy Hot Stunnas. I wanted Casey to whomp on them, but eh, we don't have a paddle in the car for me to row with and I don't encourage racing in towns or on single lane roads.

Casey is like an old lady driver tho. I think casey is the worst driver (besides my incubator/birth mom) I've ever ridden with as far as remembering how they got where they are.

But hey, I finally got some starbucks for the first time in 6 months.

the bro description:

-Lorelei "Thoroughly Unimpressed" Moira

PS: Still love Casey tho.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 6, 2020 - 8:05 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Sometimes you have to get lost to really find where you're going - probably the tag line of some white girl movie from the 2000's, maybe that Brittney Spears movie I dunno

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2020 - 10:47 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 6, 2020 - 8:05 AM) *
Sometimes you have to get lost to really find where you're going - probably the tag line of some white girl movie from the 2000's, maybe that Brittney Spears movie I dunno

*wrong buzzer sounds*

Deliverance1972. (Burt Reynolds) Lewis: Sometimes you have to lose yourself 'fore you can find anything.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 6, 2020 - 11:24 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 5, 2020 - 10:30 PM) *
I mean personally I'd be looking at mixing with a LWSP or SLWSP for that added film strength to cushion the gears from clashing on hard shifts. I can't figure out what trans is in her 91 Capri Turbo and how dissimilar it is to the the trans in your Miata but that extra fluid strength and stickiness of the oil made the synchro's work a lot lot better. I've driven it a few times before and after the oil change to the blend and it's night and day difference in how the gears just sink into place vs having the push them in and feel like the trans is fighting a bit.

That link you shared to the Miata forum there was talk about the Shockproof separating and clogging up passages and journals, of course that and Redline says it's not for use with synchronized transmissions. I know others have used it to great success, but I rather just play it safe.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 6, 2020 - 6:05 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Changed out the bulbs, the factory 9006 looked good and the 9005 looked practically new; still a notable improvement on low beam and a good improvement on high beam, definitely whiter:

Low beam then high beam, 9005/9006 on the left and 9011/9012 on the right.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 6, 2020 - 6:30 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 6, 2020 - 11:24 AM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 5, 2020 - 10:30 PM) *

That link you shared to the Miata forum there was talk about the Shockproof separating and clogging up passages and journals, of course that and Redline says it's not for use with synchronized transmissions. I know others have used it to great success, but I rather just play it safe.

Somehow I missed that, the blend worked out great in her trans but I understand not wanting to chance it.

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2020 - 9:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Especially when there are no other issues outside of typical Miata notchiness and being peculiar with 1st and 2nd when cold, but the latter could be me having to readjust to the gearing being so short compared to what I'm used to with the Firebird. I'm inclined to go with MT-LV mixed with MTL or MT-85 to get as close to the viscosity of Synchromesh as possible, but it'd still be synthetic so I wouldn't have to worry about shearing so much with street driving at least. It should be safe since "MolaKule" over on Bob is the Oil Guy recommends staying within 8 cSt of the original specified fluid's 100° C rating.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 6, 2020 - 10:03 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 2, 2020 - 10:17 PM) *
I looked into those, but then I checked the bushings on my car and they seem to be firm and in good shape. Though I came across these that're supposed to be better than the delrin offerings:

Sure Bob. Just get those or the ones I mentioned. The fact that your car’s bushings feel pliable doesn’t mean anything.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 3, 2020 - 12:03 AM) *
I know right? I had a few moments like that on the dragon where a slower small cc sport bike would let me pass them and then try to keep up through the corners. Probably inexperienced rider but still. It was a bit of a lol moment.

Internet high five.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Oct 6, 2020 - 10:45 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Hey the fact that I could pass any kind of sport bike impresses me given how slow my Celica is. Also kudos to those 2 or 3 people on bikes who knew their limits and moved aside to let a faster vehicle go on, even if it was a car.

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2020 - 11:45 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 6, 2020 - 10:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Oct 2, 2020 - 10:17 PM) *
I looked into those, but then I checked the bushings on my car and they seem to be firm and in good shape. Though I came across these that're supposed to be better than the delrin offerings:

Sure Bob. Just get those or the ones I mentioned. The fact that your car’s bushings feel pliable doesn’t mean anything.

I'll probably order them and the shifter rebuild at the same time.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

400 Pages V  « < 382 383 384 385 386 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:31 AM